Synthetic oil - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #46
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yeah, it definitely can be. I think audio talk should be in that list as well! lol
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 08:09 PM   #47
wellbiz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
I know there are some motor heads around here in this forum. I now come to you for some wisdom about synthetic oil.

The facts:
I have a 95 Toyota Tercel, 4 speed manual trans that I love dearly for its fuel economy, compactness when it comes to parking it downtown Denver and more less the whole Toyota reputation of being a great car. The car has about 127k miles and my plans are to keep this car until the whole thing desintegrates.

The question:
I use regular 10W30 by Castrol for engine oil. Lately, I have been thinking of switching to synthetic oil of the same brand and same weight. I am not sure if I should go to full synthetic or semi-synthetic. Would I be able to notice a "difference" once I switch? And if so, on what? For a car with this mileage, what is recommended to use for oil? 30 wt or heavier?

I am sure there will be more questions asked by the motor experts. I consider myself a weekend mechanic. Lately, the way new cars are built with all those computers on board are making my weekend mechanical ventures limited. Most require the hi-tech equipment most of us may not own.

Thanks in advance.
IME opinion I dont think you will notice any "difference" changing to a synthetic. At this point regular and constant oil changes are more important. You may prolong the life, but I have never seen a conclusive study to promote this in a high mileage vehicle, new vehicle different story.If anything changing at this point might frustrate you by increased oil leaks as other posters have stated.. I think its better to start using synthetic from the get go, than so far into the life of the vehicle, most of the wear/damage your engine will see has probably already occured.... Consult your owners manual for the correct weight oil for your vehicle, tho I suspect it takes a 5-30w and and not 10-30w. But the owners manual will clear up that....

All those computers make it fun... Heck I like them better now that they have those computers....

my 2cents
Jason
Old 05-08-2004, 12:55 AM   #48
Mustang5L5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidvoodoo
i really hope you guys don't think i am one of these people described in the last post (i don't feel that was implied however),

Nope. did not mean to imply that was you at all in my post. Just trying to explain why some of us get jumpy now and then. Like i said, it's just a case of "Nice car, bad driver"....and that's on BOTH sides of the Domestic V8/Import rivalry.