Will hydrogen peroxide work?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
pezrock
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Will hydrogen peroxide work?

I have Black Beard Algae slowly starting to creep in and it may be picking up pace. I have emptied my planted tank 50% and dosed Excel, let sit for 20 minutes, then filled and started filters back up. Not a dent. As a matter of fact I killed some plant leaves. Will hydrogen peroxide work and how should I do this? Please help.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Have you read about the one two punch? http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=one+two+punch

That should kill it. Then it's up to you to correct whatever is causing it, or it'll just come back eventually.

Edit: Before doing that, you could try using a spray bottle with peroxide. Hold it underwater and spray directly onto the algae. Kill the flow of water for about 30 minutes so it can just sit there. Some people use a big syringe to apply it directly (excel too). Personally I find a spray bottle more convenient for peroxide. It may take multiple treatments, like a few days in a row.

Depending on how much algae your talking about, the one two punch may not be necessary, and imo, should be used as a last resort.

Last edited by burr740; 08-05-2014 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: .
burr740 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

I know for sure that hydrogen peroxide does an excellent job of getting rid of blue-green alga (cyanobacteria), and I have read that it will do a good job of removing black beard algae too, although I haven't tried it myself.
Try dosing the BBA with full strength H202, at close range, using a plastic syringe, or test kit pipette, with the filter(s) off. Leave the filter off for about a half hour after dosing, so that the water flow doesn't flush the H202 off the BBA you've just dosed.

Not sure what you need to do to remedy the root cause so it doesn't return, but try improving/increasing the water flow throughout the tank, using a power bar, or water circulation pump of suitable size for the tank.
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #4
pezrock
Algae Grower

Thank you.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have had great success eliminating BBA by overdosing excel (triple dose). The results are not immediate and you need to continue the treatment daily for up to a week or more. After 2-3 days, the BBA will start to die and turn red/brown.