Where to buy a rimless 20 gallon long - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #16
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
(I could have sworn I posted this yesterday O.o)
Go to PetCo during the $ per a gallon sale, buy a 20g long for 20$, get some GE I clear silicone door and window, rubbing alchohol, sand paper, and a straight razor. De-rim yourself with favor and little man handling , sand the newly exposed glass (will be rough). Cut off old crappy tetra tank silicone (they just blob it on) with razor. Wipe down interior were silicone was with rubbing alcohol and apply new silicone, cut off excess silicone. Let sit 1-2 days and water test (preferably outside/garage/sink/unfinished basement in as of leak). Enjoy!
I've not de rimmed but me and my husband have re silicones several tanks successfully on first try, btw keep a paper towl or towel handy when siliconing, you will need to use a finger to push now the silicone once applied.
There are plant of YouTube DIY videos on how to do this.

ive seen a few pple just de-rim the top of the 20 gallon tank, id personally only be comfortable deriming 10 gallons and bellow, 20 gallon is a lot of water!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #17
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Yes I've seen a few 20s derimmed to which is why I offer it as an idea. I'd probably leave the bottom rim on just take off the top.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #18
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
AnotherHobby, thank you for the advice. I'm going to go with the Mr. Aqua. Did you order the mat that goes underneath it as well?

Your setup looks incredible btw! And I see you're even using the same stand design that I am. I hope you don't mind if I lean heavily on your journal for guidance. To someone who's new it seems there's an overwhelming amount of information, and I almost feel like I need a blueprint to get started in the hobby.
I didn't get the mat, but I was pretty confident in how flat the surface I made was. After it was too late, I wished I had got one, but it's been fine. I'd get one.

Thanks for the compliment. I only caution you with looking at my journal as a blueprint, because this whole thing has been a huge learning experience for me, and it's my first real attempt at a planted tank. There are several things I would do differently, and I've swapped out and changed things along the way. Heck, I nearly killed all of my plants 9 months ago and had to start over. I'm no pro, but I have fun.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #19
LRJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you folks - lots of helpful advice.

Quote:
save yourself a few bucks and just go out and buy a cheap yoga mat and cut to size or those plastic dish drying mats, thats what I use
Quote:
As far as the mat goes, head to Home Depot or Lowes and you will find something similar usually
Thanks, I'll look into these alternatives.

Quote:
I just noticed your base dimensions, you can go 29 gallon and have it fit your base!
Good point, and I really like the footprint of the 29g. I'm leaning hard toward the Mr. Aqua 17.1, but I'd still love to see pics of your Seaclear when you get back; I can hold off buying for a few days. The only thing I'm worried about is the acrylic. Would it be good for a beginner? I've heard it scratches very easily.

Quote:
De-rim yourself with favor and little man handling
Thanks for the idea. I've seen a few people doing that on here. I'm just not sure I'd feel comfortable with it. A tank failure in my apartment, while unlikely, would be catastrophic.

Quote:
I only caution you with looking at my journal as a blueprint, because this whole thing has been a huge learning experience for me, and it's my first real attempt at a planted tank. There are several things I would do differently, and I've swapped out and changed things along the way. Heck, I nearly killed all of my plants 9 months ago and had to start over. I'm no pro, but I have fun.
Point taken. I guess "blueprint" wasn't really the right word - I'll want to put my own touches on it anyhow. Still it seems like a great launching point/guideline, and if I can create anything close to as striking as what you have I'll be very happy.

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing it setup.
I imagine it will be a while before it's up-and-running. I may have to make modifications to the stand depending on the tank I buy, and then I need to research and obtain lighting, substrate, CO2, plants, fish, etc. But I might start a tank journal, and when I finally get it all setup, I'll definitely post pics.
LRJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #20
dsomonster
Algae Grower

Acrylic does scratch easier than glass. You just need to have the right tools. There are a ton of acrylic safe tools out nowadays.

I will definitely post pics tomorrow.
dsomonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
dsomonster
Algae Grower

Here are the pics of my SeaClear 20gal, long (24x16x13), acrylic tank.

1st day trying to figure out the hardscape:

Here is the tank with a friend of mine hooking up the light. You can really see the thickness of the acrylic in this shot.

Another shot of the front of the tank.

Different angle. You can see the rounded edges of the acrylic tank.

Front profile shot of the tank.

One with the blue lights on.

Please keep us posted on what route you take.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #22
LRJ
Algae Grower

Thanks for the pics, dsomonster. That's a nice setup you have there!

I'm really tempted to get the SeaClear 29gal, but I just think the scratching propensity of acrylic combined with being a beginner is more risk than I want to take. I'll probably get a Mr. Aqua and just modify the stand I built. I'll be sure to circle back on this thread once the tank arrives. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #23
dsomonster
Algae Grower

LRJ, you're welcome. No matter what route you take, I'm glad you joined the community. Beware...you will go bigger, eventually. Unless your starter tank is just problematic, this hobby can be very addicting.

Don't be afraid of acrylic. Just use the right tools.

-Ron
Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

yep, its also much easier to fix scratches on acrylic then it is with glass!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #25
dsomonster
Algae Grower

LRJ, take it from a long time hobbyist, go with the 29 gal SeaClear. You will fill the 17 gal pretty quick.

It sounds like you're pretty handy building your own base. Acrylic is not as big an issue as they used to be. Now there is so much more acrylic safe accessories.

The light will be your most expensive piece. The price difference between lighting a 17 gal versus a 29 gal is not much more $$$. The little bigger tank will fill your base and look like it belongs, versus the tank being too small and/or modifying the base you already built.

What kind of plants and animals are you planning on filling the tank with?

I can't wait to see the final outcome!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
yep, its also much easier to fix scratches on acrylic then it is with glass!
+1

Peer pressure SUCKS! Get the bigger tank.

All joking aside, don't be afraid of acrylic.

-Ron
Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 AM   #26
LRJ
Algae Grower

Welp, the trigger has been pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsomonster View Post
Peer pressure SUCKS! Get the bigger tank.
Yes, and I'm a sucker for it. So I went ahead and got a bigger tank. But, since I wanted glass, I went with the Mr. Aqua 32 gallon. It's the same height as a 29 gal but with 16% more floor space!

So for anyone who may end up reading this while searching for a glass rimless 20 gal long, the bottom line is that as of this posting, there don't seem to be any readily available options for you that don't involve buying from GlassCages, which has received terrible reviews, or de-rimming a standard 20 gal long and inviting whatever ramifications that may entail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsomonster View Post
What kind of plants and animals are you planning on filling the tank with?
This is the next question. Right now I'm not sure... So what would be the most efficient way to get suggestions from the community regarding flora, fauna, equipment, substrate, etc. as I'm planning this project? Should I create multiple threads in respective sub forums, or start a tank journal? I guess probably both and then link within the journal.

Many thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #27
dsomonster
Algae Grower

LRJ,
LOL on the peer pressure. I have succumbed to it many times!

That is a great tank you chose. Glass is just CLASSY! Makes the tank seem more expensive!

YES, YES...start a journal. I am currently on Week 5 of my journal on my 135 gallon planted tank. I will give it another 4-5 weeks to post up the pics. Thereafter, I will update monthly.

Stocking your tank is personal. I just went with what I like and try to learn from my mistakes. No one to blame other than myself!

Remember to take pics. I took pics everyday for the first 7 days and then weekly. It is a dramatic change when looking at it from a camera's perspective.

I am glad you went bigger.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.