Where to buy a rimless 20 gallon long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
LRJ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Where to buy a rimless 20 gallon long

Hello All,

I recently decided to setup an aquarium and came across this site during my research. Your amazing tanks have inspired me to go the planted route.

Right now all I have is a stand, which I built using forum member hydrophyte's design: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=246.

I guess the next thing I need is a tank, and I'd like to purchase a rimless 20 gallon long. Right now the only online merchant I've been able to find is Glass Cages: http://www.glasscages.com/; however, I've seen some negative reviews on here pertaining to their quality.

If anyone has experience (good or bad) with Glass Cages' rimless tanks or is able to suggest another online merchant selling rimless 20 longs, I'd really appreciate hearing your input/advice.

Thanks,
LRJ
LRJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
ThisDarkDivide
Algae Grower

Marinedepot.com carries Mr Aqua tanks. Not sure the dimensions of your stand though.

They have a rimless frameless 25 gallon cube.

ThisDarkDivide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
LRJ
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick reply. The Mr. Aqua tank looks great, but the stand is 14" x 30.5". I built it with the 20g long footprint in mind, which I believe is about the same footprint as a standard 29g. If push comes to shove I can just buy a regular tank, but I really like the clean look of rimless.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Unfortunately, most rimless tanks are not standard dimensions. The only place I know of that you can specifically order a 20G long is glasscages.com. I've also heard mixed reviews, and I've never seen them, so it's not an endorsement. If it were me, and I were in your shoes, I'd probably buy the rimless tank from glasscages or have one custom made locally (it wouldn't hurt to call a few places), or I'd swap out the least important thing (the stand) and get a different size that comes in rimless. I wouldn't buy a tank that wasn't rimless, because I love the look.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #5
LRJ
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
If it were me, and I were in your shoes, I'd probably buy the rimless tank from glasscages or have one custom made locally (it wouldn't hurt to call a few places), or I'd swap out the least important thing (the stand) and get a different size that comes in rimless. I wouldn't buy a tank that wasn't rimless, because I love the look.
I think I've seen too many negative reviews on Glass Cages to feel comfortable about pulling the trigger on one of those, and unfortunately I live in a relatively small and remote area where getting one made locally isn't an option. Swapping/modifying the stand makes sense to me; it's more work, but I sort of wanted to upgrade the lumber I used for the cross pieces anyway.

Still, I'm not a huge fan of the footprint of the Mr. Aqua 17.1, and it seems like that's the closest of their products to what I'm seeking: a rectangular tank that's holds roughly 18 - 25 gallons. Anyway, thank you very much for the advice. I'll have to give this some more thought.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
LRJ
Algae Grower

Alright, I've narrowed my search down to three tanks. All of them are less than 20 gallons, but I can live with that.

1) 14.3g AquaTop Eurostyle Bowfront Glass, $40.99: http://www.truaqua.com/eurostyle-bow...ium-es-24.html

2) 17.1g Mr. Aqua Luminous Ultra Frameless Low Iron Glass, $114.99: http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQRA-vi.html

3) 17g ADA Cube Garden 60-P High Clarity Glass, $129.99: http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=118

The bowfront looks really really slick. I just wish it was a little larger. At that price I might just have to get one and stash. Who knows, maybe I'll have two tanks eventually.

I've heard mixed reviews on #2, but certainly much more positive stuff than I've heard about than Glass Cages. I haven't heard anything about #3, so not sure what to expect quality wise on that one.

Prices on #2 and #3 aren't too far off, so not really a factor between those two. Tank #1 is considerably cheaper, but it's also smaller size and lower quality glass; so there's a tradeoff.

If anyone has experience with these and would like to chime in that'd be great! I'll be mulling these options over for the next day or so, and then I'm going to pull the trigger on something.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I have that exact Mr Aqua, and the quality is really good. If I was buying again, I'd probably get the same tank. You can see it in my journal in my signature.

The ADA 60P is actually $200 with shipping, but it's a higher quality tank.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
LRJ
Algae Grower

AnotherHobby, thank you for the advice. I'm going to go with the Mr. Aqua. Did you order the mat that goes underneath it as well?

Your setup looks incredible btw! And I see you're even using the same stand design that I am. I hope you don't mind if I lean heavily on your journal for guidance. To someone who's new it seems there's an overwhelming amount of information, and I almost feel like I need a blueprint to get started in the hobby.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
dsomonster
Algae Grower

I just came across this post and just bought a 20 gal long Seaclear System 2 acrylic tank. I went System 2 because I wanted the built in sump. I used to have two 65 gallon reef tanks. I recently switched over to a 135 gal planted tank. I missed my reef setups and decided to have a small 20 gal to feed my reef hunger.

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.tropicalfishstore.com/Seaclear.htm

You don't have to go System 2 and the original has many more options. I hope you find something to your liking.
dsomonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #10
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRJ View Post
AnotherHobby, thank you for the advice. I'm going to go with the Mr. Aqua. Did you order the mat that goes underneath it as well?

Your setup looks incredible btw! And I see you're even using the same stand design that I am. I hope you don't mind if I lean heavily on your journal for guidance. To someone who's new it seems there's an overwhelming amount of information, and I almost feel like I need a blueprint to get started in the hobby.

save yourself a few bucks and just go out and buy a cheap yoga mat and cut to size or those plastic dish drying mats, thats what I use
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
dsomonster
Algae Grower

If you can wait, I have a ton of pics of my Seaclear acrylic tank. 24x16x13 are the measurements.

I am camping right now but will be back home know Wednesday. The quality is top notch for acrylic. It is over half an inch thick and the built in filtration sump is AWESOME. I went glass for my 135 gal planted tank but I would not hesitate to go Seaclear for future tank purchases.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with your search. I am sure you this will not be your only tank purchase!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #12
ThisDarkDivide
Algae Grower

Looking forward to seeing it setup. I really like my 60 gallon cube.

As far as the mat goes, head to Home Depot or Lowes and you will find something similar usually

ThisDarkDivide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
dsomonster
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDarkDivide View Post
Looking forward to seeing it setup. I really like my 60 gallon cube.

As far as the mat goes, head to Home Depot or Lowes and you will find something similar usually
Whatever route you go...post pics. I too am curious to see the final outcome. I am sure it will be cool!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #14
dsomonster
Algae Grower

I just noticed your base dimensions, you can go 29 gallon and have it fit your base!

Oh decisions, decisions??? You, my friend, have a GOOD dilemna!

I vote for the 29 gallon. Go bigger!

Bump: If I didn't have my 20 gallon already stocked, I would've gone 29 gallon. I knew I should've went bigger...oh well, until next purchase.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #15
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

(I could have sworn I posted this yesterday O.o)
Go to PetCo during the $ per a gallon sale, buy a 20g long for 20$, get some GE I clear silicone door and window, rubbing alchohol, sand paper, and a straight razor. De-rim yourself with favor and little man handling , sand the newly exposed glass (will be rough). Cut off old crappy tetra tank silicone (they just blob it on) with razor. Wipe down interior were silicone was with rubbing alcohol and apply new silicone, cut off excess silicone. Let sit 1-2 days and water test (preferably outside/garage/sink/unfinished basement in as of leak). Enjoy!
I've not de rimmed but me and my husband have re silicones several tanks successfully on first try, btw keep a paper towl or towel handy when siliconing, you will need to use a finger to push now the silicone once applied.
There are plant of YouTube DIY videos on how to do this.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.