I NEED THE GOOD RUNDOWN ON PLANTS!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-18-2004, 05:02 AM   #1
il-ultimo

PTrader: (0/0%)

howdy yall. im fairly new to the the world of fishkeeping in comparison to most. my tanks are all doing well. when i first started keeping fish i bought some live plants and fertilizer. some grew. most died. i then stopped using fertilizer. no change. ive bought a heap of banana lily's which grow like crazy without fertilizer but other plants perish. i have 3 freshwater tanks setup at the moment. they're not biotopes but im trying to work along those lines.
inhabitants as follows..
tank 1 - south american (except the glass catties)
cardinal tetras
blue emperor tetras
rummy nose tetras
corydoras
marble hatchet fish
dwarf pencilfish
glass catfish
--
tank 2 - new guinean
forktail blueyes
peacock gudgeons
lyretail rainbows
--
tank 3 -swamp
betta splenden
--
okie dokies. sooooo im moving house shortly and im going to set up some bigger tanks, which id like to deck out with nice healthy plants.
time to lay the questions on.
-
how essential are fertilizers in comparison to light and ph etc?
-
whats the difference between cheap and expensive fertilizers and what products should i be looking for?
-
for the south american tank. water soft/ph6.5 what plants (preferably sth american) should i be looking out for? and what are the requirements for light/additives etc.. and
for the new guinean tank. water harder/ph7.5 what plants (preferably new guinean or australian) should i be looking out for? and what are the requirements for light/additives etc.. and and
for the thai tank. water softish to neutral/ph6.8 - 7 what plants (preferably thai) should i be looking out for? and what are the requirements for light/additives etc.. and and and
for a future african tank. water hard/ph8.2 what plants , u guessed it(preferably african) should i be looking out for? and what are the requirements for light/additives etc..
and and and and
thats all folks.
il-ultimos
il-ultimo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, first off, there's a ton of great 'I'm new and need info' posts here, so I'd definitely do some searching and browsing in addition to the answers you get here.

I'm not even going to tackle most of your questions until we discuss lighting (mainly because I'm in no way a biotope expert so I can't tell you which plants to get)
You don't mention lighting levels at all, so I'm going to assume that you're using the lights that came with your tanks. If that's the case, you'll have less than 1 watt per gallon, which is low light, and only a few select plants will survive and thrive with that lighting. I think for the most part though, each tank biotope will need at least 2 watts per gallon, which gives you moderate lighting. If you find plants that require high light, you'll need 3+watts per gallon to keep them thriving. Some high light plants can grow slowly in 2wpg, but a lot of them just shrivel up and die.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.