What age should kids be alloud a tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Gema
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What age should kids be alloud a tank?

What age would you let your children have their own fish tank in their room?

My toddler loves Mama's fish. Today while cleaning out the spare room to set up his big boy room he found some old colored stones and really wanted to put them in a tank. So I've been thinking about maybe getting him a plastic 2gallon bowl and let him pick his own betta.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
danellis1229
Algae Grower

Smile

i say if the child has an interest in the hobby go for it just put it where it can be enjoyed and not gotten to easy let them feed with supervision of course
never to early to bond and find common ground they will develop tons of interests that will not include you so get the upper hand now and try to keep it going
danellis1229 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Sounds like an excuse for another tank!
The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

"
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught
." Baba Dioum

Triple-filtered Paludarium
Method is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

This is a case where every child and situation will differ but it sounds like it is time for your group.
One point I might suggest is that larger tanks are much more stable and a single fish in a ten might be easier to maintain than a smaller tank. Just don't fall into the trap of then filling the ten with a tub full of fish.
The old blurb that "the solution to pollution is dilution" really fits when you are dealing with a ten versus a 2. Also the ten tips over much less.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #5
DayOlder
Wounded Warrior

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Sounds like an excuse for another tank!

lol Good one!
DayOlder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

When the particular child is old enough that you don't walk in with it full of Cheerios, goldfish crackers, or other misc things. Some toddlers are okay with this. Others need to wait until they are 25-30 years old.

+2 on the larger tank being safer.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I agree with the above on the ten gallon aquarium. I doubt many toddler will be able to pick those up or move them when filled.

Age has nothing to do with getting your child a fish tank. You know they aren't going to take care of it or buy any of the stuff for it. So if YOU want another aquarium that's in your kids room, then by all means get another. I had an aquarium in my room from before I can even remember, but my parents did all the hard work!
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #8
loach guy
Algae Grower

OK, This is where it's time to get honest. A toddler is not going to properly care for an aquarium. If the toddler understood the work involved and had the capacity to realize that this would interfere with Spongebob, or Dora, they would never agree to it. The point here is that you want your kid to have a fish tank in their room. There is nothing at all wrong with that. I would go along with the 10 gallon tank. You could even get the Spongebob aquarium set for the child. I would let the child pick out everything (except when there is a compatibility issue). My kids actually have 2 tanks in their shared room. My 10 year old helps me out, and has learned so much about the hobby that it scares me sometimes. My 2 year old daughter likes to look at the livestock, and that's about it. Just make sure that you understand that you are going to pretty much be the only one that takes care of this tank.
loach guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Since birth! It's never too early to receive the tank-bug.

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #10
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When the tank and care about it enough to beg you for one. I had freshwater tanks from age 7 to 10 and at age 10 I got into saltwater until 14 and then back to freshwater.

When I was 3 or 4 I didn't understand that aquariums were glass and breakable so I threw my shoe at one and it broke and all the fish and water spilled onto the floor lol.

My concern with a betta fish and a toddler is that he wouldn't understand the care and may feed it a ton behind your back, or put other things in the tank just playing around. So if you get one for him you'd need to kinda "child proof" it and make sure you are always helping him feed it.

So TBH I wouldn't until he begs for one of his own -- but you can always set up a new betta tank and it can be "his betta" but put it in a place in the house that you can monitor -- so not his room.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Gema
Algae Grower

I kinda figured I would be the one doing the maintenance on the tank, so I guess it is kind of an excuse to get another tank haha but this will be his own tank, he will pick the decorations, fish etc, and glass is definitely a no go! Which is why I thought something small and plastic will be the best option. I will have to be very convincing to get my husband to ok a 10gal, a 2 gallon he is fine with but I've just been made to cut down to 3 tanks myself
I do have a spare 15gallon and 2 20gallons lying around but I think that is too big for someone who's not quite 3
Old 08-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not quite 3... something acrylic that is not easy to tip over. It also needs to have a firmly attached lid with a locking mechanism to feed them. :-)
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
GreenAcres
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I picked up a 5 gallon acrylic tank on one of the big retail websites that comes with built in light and filter. The lid is hinged and could probably be clipped down if needed. I use one as a quarantine for smaller fish and I have another one that will probably become the tank for my daughter's betta. She is 11 and just starting to be able to care for her fish independently, but I still supervise. I think 3 is fine with a lot of supervision. Helping to make decisions and learn about caring for a living thing is good for development, I think.

I know that betta food can come in packages that allow you to measure what you feed. That might be a good way to help control portions and teach what is appropriate.
GreenAcres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #14
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
Since birth! It's never too early to receive the tank-bug.
Hah!!

I don't think there is a set age to say when its a good time to start, depends on the child's mentality..some learn responsibility very early on (I was already doing choirs when I was 3 x.x and my family has always had pets so I learned early on about proper care/handling/maintenance).. others are..a bit more spoiled/lazy, and how much supervising the parent wants to do to make sure it doesn't go horribly aery.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 AM   #15
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

I started when I was 6; would've started when I was 4 if I had my way.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.