Lighting help....????
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Naja002
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Arrow

Lighting help....????

Hey Everybody,

Picked up this 15g aquarium yesterday (placement is temporary). It is 13" x 13" x 19.5" tall (to water level), and I can use some help figuring out a low-tech lighting.

I do not want to add C02. I do have Metricide 14, so I can/will use that.

IF I replace the current T5 8w light (no reflector) without modifying the top...then I have about 12" x 4 5/8" space to work with....

However, I have the 5.5" version of this:

Zoo Med Deluxe Porcelain Clamp Lamp

and a 4" hole saw....so, removing the current lighting, drilling a 4" hole and just using a spiral CFL IS a distinct possibility. And, is what I may very well do. However, I am wide-open to suggestions of an LED that would suit this tank/setup well.

My real concern comes in with the depth. I do not want to battle GSA, GDA, etc while trying to get enough lighting to the bottom of the tank. I am not sure right now what I am going to do about aquascaping it, but I figure (right now) that I will probably slope it up high into the back left corner...low to the front right corner.

For the clamp lamp I have a 10w spiral CFL:

And a 26w spiral CFL:

I can buy 13w and probably 15w spiral CFL bulbs (6500-6700K), so the versatility of switching bulbs to find the "right lighting" is available. That's a big plus for me.

Clamp lamp appearance, plus T5 8w lighting:

However, again, I am open to a suitable LED light.

I am looking for low tech. Infrequent dosing...like 1-2x/wk, WCs 1x/month...even less would be good, but I think a critter load is going to forbid that.

Any thoughts/help/pointers...???

Last edited by Naja002; 08-04-2014 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: nzhxbsfa
Naja002 is offline   Reply With Quote