My fish house
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

My fish house

Here's my story. I'm into plants. I studied agriculture and then one day saw a picture of a planted fish tank. I bought a ten gallon tank at a garage sale four years ago. A week later I purchased a 20 gallon tank from another garage sale. Two weeks after that I purchased a 40g on a dollar per gallon sale and then it just escalated from there. Now I manage a mom and pop fish store and have converted my pool house to a fish house.

So right now in the fish house I've got:
75g with 5 generations of African cichlids
40g with: 1 pair apistogramma cactoides quad red, bushynose pleco pair, school of red beckfordi pencilfish, SAEs, CPDs, ember tetras, pair of small angels, some cories, and an apisto agassizi double red.
100g community angel/discus tank. School of dwarf neon precox, 25 'three lined corys' (not true corys), swarm of khulies, SAEs, and some other randoms.
100g twin spot puffers/electric catfish tank
100g shrimp hex with PFRs and Neon Yellows
20 5.5g shrimp tanks. Current collection consists of S-SSS CRS, S-SSS CBS, Cherries(PFRs, Supremes, Sakuras), Yellow Neos, Neon Yellow Neos, Orange Neos, Blue Diamonds, Blue Pearls, Blue Carbon Rilis, OEBTs, and Snow Whites. Soon I'll hopefully be adding green and brown algae shrimp (neocaridina babaulti), and Indian white backs.

In the main house I have a few more 5.5s and a 20 long with annual killifish and additional apistogrammas.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Jealous, very jealous. This is my dream someday, having a room dedicated to my fish tank. Im amazed you are able to do upkeep on all those tanks! With just my tank rack and 10 tanks, I barely find enough time to maintain them all, cant imagine doing it for all those huge tanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Man looks like my hobby room!!

I started out with two aquariums and now have ten. Its crazy how that happens. And you don't even notice it till a non-fish friend asks you "So HOW many aquariums do you have again??" ... "And thats HOW many gallons?!?"
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Jealous, very jealous. This is my dream someday, having a room dedicated to my fish tank. Im amazed you are able to do upkeep on all those tanks! With just my tank rack and 10 tanks, I barely find enough time to maintain them all, cant imagine doing it for all those huge tanks!
The 75 with the African cichlids can be a pain as it grows really fast and thus requires constant trimming. The rest of my tanks fortunately are all pretty easy; Most of the big ones are all plumbed together so I just top off a central sump and same with water changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Man looks like my hobby room!!

I started out with two aquariums and now have ten. Its crazy how that happens. And you don't even notice it till a non-fish friend asks you "So HOW many aquariums do you have again??" ... "And thats HOW many gallons?!?"
Yeah, I get that alot from customers. They ask if I have any tanks and when my reply is, "around thirty", they assume they've misheard because who would possibly have that many fish tanks, which makes me feel like I just might be nuts.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Seems you have a green thumb. I would like to know more about your setup.

Like your:
Substrate
Ferts
Co2
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Room is temp and humidity controlled.

For lighting I'm running mostly all Beamswork/GreenElement fixtures: 2x greenelement 48" units with 3w diodes on the 75, the 40 is running CFLs, the next 100g is running 2x 30" Quad green elements and a 48" dual green element all with 3w diodes. The next 100g is running a single 48" Odessey (same company as beamswork/greenelement) double HI. 100g Hex is cheapo DIY chinese arrays; there are 3 50 watters but I only run 1 and it seems fine.

Filtration is really simple as I pretty much have none. The big tanks aside from the hex are all plumbed to a common sump which houses a heater and return pumps. My plants and substrate are really doing all my filtration. The 100 hex has nothing - no power heads, no filter, just a light. The shrimp rack is filtered with each tank running a sponge filter.

I inject the 75 and 100 with CO2. I run a 10lb tank with a cheapo regulator with a six way splitter. Substrate is dirt. If I remember I toss some liquid iron in every couple weeks but that's about it when it comes to dosing. Here's a quick copy/paste on my substrate:
I start with Happy Frog Organic potting soil - a much heavier potting soil than nost others with much more actual soil (sand/silt/clay). I amend, get wet, let it sit two weeks, rinse it to get rid of whats water soluble and to float the perlite out and thats about it. Essentially the same as what everyone else is doing.

This is what I've been amending with. I mixed to match my NPK with that of flourish tabs.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Xzavier247
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

This room looks awesome. And your so close.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Aqua nut
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I started with a 55 gallon, now I just started my 6th tank all different sizes..
Aqua nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Too much work for me. It's all I can do these days to look after on 11 gallon tank with a few low light plants and about 10 shrimp...lol...At one point I had 6 or 8 tanks running at once. Not worth it to me.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #10
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post

Yeah, I get that alot from customers. They ask if I have any tanks and when my reply is, "around thirty", they assume they've misheard because who would possibly have that many fish tanks, which makes me feel like I just might be nuts.
No "might be" about it. You are definitely nuts.

You need to donate around 25 of those to the unfortunate with only 5 tanks. I'm signing up for first in line.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 AM   #11
Lonestarbandit
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm starting to going crazy then as I have 3x55g, 1x25g and 46g running....maybe it's a sickness......though the 46 just got started on and is dead empty. Just potting soil and black blasting sand cap.
Few rocks from existing tanks to cycle it.
But the madness is taking hold...

Sent from my VS930 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Sunsun Pimp #95
Lonestarbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #12
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Intense. Kudos!

I have entertained the fantasy, like all hobbyists, but I couldn't do it without significant automation, and/or hired help.

I ran 3 tanks at one point and it was too much. Now I just run an aquaponics setup and have been kicking around the idea of adding a high tech shrimp tank for a while.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:02 AM   #13
Lonestarbandit
Planted Member

The pics finally loaded from the OP OMG so many tanks! !!!!!

Sunsun Pimp #95
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #14
Lonestarbandit
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
Intense. Kudos!

I have entertained the fantasy, like all hobbyists, but I couldn't do it without significant automation, and/or hired help.

I ran 3 tanks at one point and it was too much. Now I just run an aquaponics setup and have been kicking around the idea of adding a high tech shrimp tank for a while.
This is true. Water changes alone eat up a good part of the day lol

Sunsun Pimp #95
Old 08-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #15
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzavier247 View Post
This room looks awesome. And your so close.
Thanks. I manage Aqua Life Aquarium in Rocklin - If you aren't familiar with it you should come check us out. One of the better fish stores in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua nut View Post
I started with a 55 gallon, now I just started my 6th tank all different sizes..
Nice. It's addicting. Very addicting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Too much work for me. It's all I can do these days to look after on 11 gallon tank with a few low light plants and about 10 shrimp...lol...At one point I had 6 or 8 tanks running at once. Not worth it to me.
It is quite a bit of work. The acrylic tanks are the ones that give me a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
No "might be" about it. You are definitely nuts.

You need to donate around 25 of those to the unfortunate with only 5 tanks. I'm signing up for first in line.
Oh, I've got another 7 tanks in the garage I'm trying to get rid of. Its harder than you think to give them away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestarbandit View Post
I'm starting to going crazy then as I have 3x55g, 1x25g and 46g running....maybe it's a sickness......though the 46 just got started on and is dead empty. Just potting soil and black blasting sand cap.
Few rocks from existing tanks to cycle it.
But the madness is taking hold...
Mwahahaha, let the madness grip you my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
Intense. Kudos!

I should find a helper. I wonder if I could bribe someone with shrimp to clean my glass.