Christmas in July. A morning with Tom Barr
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

PTrader: (0/0%)

Christmas in July. A morning with Tom Barr

I have been around the hobby for over forty-five years, but I still only know just enough to be dangerous and am the proud parent of a built-in 90 gallon fresh water planted tank located in my family room. As for my knowledge, it mostly came from books and recently online. I knew that Amano was a shrimp long before I realized there was also a person, and although I can spell ADA I can't tell you any of their rules or paradymes.

I am sure you can imagine my surprise when I found out through this site that I lived less than 15 minutes from Tom Bar!!! I immediately reached out to Tom and scheduled an in-home consultation. He offered the advice for free on-line, but I told him I was happy to pay for a personal consultation as I am more of a face-to-face person and learn more that way. We quickly agreed on a price and set an appointment.

He arrived on time and after introductions began to give me advice on my aquarium. As a result of his visit, I reorganized the electrical, changed the bps of my CO2, added a CO2 reaction chamber and additional pump (Cerges' Reactor), added a red wave T5 HO, moved my H20 inlet valve, changed my lighting timers, relocated old and purchased new plants, and can now do a 50% water change in less than 15 minutes!!! No more 5-gallon buckets!!! Over all, he spent twice as much time as we agreed upon and made a huge difference in my tank. I have experienced 20% growth and better colors as a result of his visit.

This is my first post on Planted Tank Forum and I just thought I would say thanks to one of its best members first. Thanks to Tom and what a great site. I am happy to be new member!!!

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
mayanjungledog
Geek

PTrader: (62/100%)

Cool! Welcome to the forum!
mayanjungledog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadawg View Post
This is my first post on Planted Tank Forum .... I am happy to be new member!!!

Best,

Joe

Huh?? You have 32 previous posts.
AGUILAR3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Welcome.
Thank you

Huh?? You have 32 previous posts.
The 32 previous posts were replies to other's posts Aguilar3.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanjungledog View Post
Cool! Welcome to the forum!
Thank you MJD
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
loach guy
Algae Grower

Hey Joe,

Welcome to the posts. What a neat experience that must have been! I'm totally jealous
loach guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 AM   #6
180g
Planted Tank Enthusiast

welcome to TPT!
(I'm 13 )
180g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 AM   #7
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
Hey Joe,

Welcome to the posts. What a neat experience that must have been! I'm totally jealous
Thanks loach guy. Tom is incredibly knowledgeable.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 180g View Post
welcome to TPT!
Thanks 180
Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

No matter how long one has been in this hobby there's always things to learn. I try to learn something new everyday and like you most of my learning came through books and talking with others hobbyists. I always strayed from getting info from the internet as most of you know there is just as much misinformation as there is facts. Finally I decided to join this site and have got great advice along with making some good friends.

It's great seeing others that have a life long love of this hobby. I have been involved in this hobby in one way or another almost my entire life as my dad introduced me at a very early age as he was involved in breeding fish back in the 70's and 80's. It is something that has stuck with me throughout even as other hobbies have came and gone this one has never left me. I know it makes my dad proud to see something that was near and dear to him mean so much to me as an adult.

So, welcome to TPT and let's see some pictures of your tank now that you are a pro at starting your own thread.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Tom is a nice guy, and knows SO much!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #10
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Hello and welcome to the forum! There so much information on here you can learn just about anything about the hobby you want.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
aqenthusiast
Algae Grower

Jealous you could touch Tom Barr !

Fascinating !!!

Very happy that you could have personal interactions with the planted brain. . ! Very nice. .

One day you will tell your grand children about the experience of meeting the legend "he was 7 feet tall and had 10 hands ! he could live underwater generating greenery all around !!! Whatever he touched, turned green"

4x3x2 (feet) (w x h x d) (600 L, ~200 G)
sweet water planted tank - angels, gouramis, fancy guppy, electric yellow chichlid, tetra
EHEIM 2217 canister
EHEIM Jager
AquaClay subtrate
36w x 4 PL + 150w x 2 5600K Metal Halide (Osram PowerStar HQI-TS excelence) (4-4-1)
Pressurised CO2 + Solenoid - On @ photo
aqenthusiast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
No matter how long one has been in this hobby there's always things to learn. I try to learn something new everyday and like you most of my learning came through books and talking with others hobbyists. I always strayed from getting info from the internet as most of you know there is just as much misinformation as there is facts. Finally I decided to join this site and have got great advice along with making some good friends.

It's great seeing others that have a life long love of this hobby. I have been involved in this hobby in one way or another almost my entire life as my dad introduced me at a very early age as he was involved in breeding fish back in the 70's and 80's. It is something that has stuck with me throughout even as other hobbies have came and gone this one has never left me. I know it makes my dad proud to see something that was near and dear to him mean so much to me as an adult.

So, welcome to TPT and let's see some pictures of your tank now that you are a pro at starting your own thread.
Very cool ua hua. Pictures coming!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Yes he does.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum! There so much information on here you can learn just about anything about the hobby you want.
Thanks aquarist. Happy to be here.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqenthusiast View Post
Jealous you could touch Tom Barr !

Fascinating !!!

Very happy that you could have personal interactions with the planted brain. . ! Very nice. .

One day you will tell your grand children about the experience of meeting the legend "he was 7 feet tall and had 10 hands ! he could live underwater generating greenery all around !!! Whatever he touched, turned green"
Aqenthusiast,In reality he was only 5'10" or so, but he did have 10 hands lol!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	350305

Picture as promised. Sorry, not a great camera guy.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
He is nice. But its not that he knows so much. Its that he understands the aspects of plants. Anyone can know it all but to understand what effects what and have actually done it is a completly different level.

And 5 gallon buckets!!!!!! OMG those were the days when I started. I would never ever go back to that!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #15
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
He is nice. But its not that he knows so much. Its that he understands the aspects of plants. Anyone can know it all but to understand what effects what and have actually done it is a completly different level.

And 5 gallon buckets!!!!!! OMG those were the days when I started. I would never ever go back to that!
Nor will I!!!

Tags
bps, co2, lighting, tom barr, water change