more WPG
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 04-15-2004, 10:49 PM   #1
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to compulsion

today i ordered two of these daylight compacts. there used for people who have like sunlight deficiancy (like my plants )

i have 4x NO's and currently have about 2.3 WPG

http://www.gbbulbs.co.uk/acatalog/Da...Spectrum_.html

since these are a nice K, i know there only really 20W and 'equivilate to' 100W but they must obviously give lots of light (and a nice cri for asthetic purposes) yet still providing a nice little boost for the lights.

this should leave me with about 3.1WPG
does anyone here have this sort of WPG and whats there results.. my main idea since i started this tank is to try and get it to look like the tanks over at www.aquariumdesigngroup.com... this isnt just a fad, i wont settle untill my tank grows out of control. the sparse planting allways looks to little to me. so dense is the key. im hoping ill be able to achive this effect. slowly but surly with 3.1WPG

do the tanks over there use sexy MH's and all that?.. im gradualy getting used to dosing and things and mixing my own formulas... plants are few at the moment but this weekend im planning on spending 50 or more on just plants. the plants i do have are doing quite well. ive had some leaves twist a bit and darken, i also had lots of root rot at the start and many of the plants i got from certain places were just rotten crap. but some plants i have are rocketing and rooting like mad. ive made bubble counters, havent been sucessfull with my reactor really but then again today i added some nylon swarf from the workshop (little tip there) its doing the job but i dunno the effect on the plants, i just know it isnt releasing any bubbles so i take it there dissolving... i really need a KH kit i promised myself ill get one this week.

just a babble but if anyone can give me little nippets of info about things ive mentioned ide be happy

thanks
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2004, 12:19 AM   #2
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good move to increase your lighting, don't know much about the lights you are talking about. But from your description of your plants I would say you have a serious lighting problem. More lights means that DIY probably will not cut it for very long. Especially when you put a lot of plants in the tank that will chew up CO2.

Anyway I have MHs and yes they are sexy, but very expensive. They produce good plant growth and allows me to grow plants that I never thought I could.

Best of luck, let us know if you have anymore questions.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #3
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to compulsion

i would get MH's, i have a mh lamp, its an outdoor sort of streetlamp thing but the hood that came with my tank (mellamime chipboard) gets sweaty with just my 4 T8's. ide need a completly new hood if i was going to use my MH because they get so hot, i might in the future get someone to help me make up some sort of fitting with some nice fans... the bulb i have is greeny at the mo but i know that my lfs sells different K bulbs and speciality bulbs, so my ballats would be ok. i take it you have a complete MH fitting?
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2004, 01:19 AM   #4
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea, I have an aquastarlight future setup. Great unit.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.