Brand new to Planted Tanks and could use some help! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #31
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissEmily View Post
Would 3 Angels be ok? I don't want to add too many to this tank to keep it from being overcrowded, so I'm afraid of adding more than that. I could however do away with the Tetras, and just do a big school if Angels with my Blue Rams...hmmmm. Decisions decisions! Lol
Also I will be buying one of those test kits in the future...just went with the basic strips for now.

With Angels the more the better. I suggest you pop over to the fish section or go to a Cichlid specific forum and read the Angel threads and ask some more experanced than I about their requirements, behaviors, terrritorial tendences, what fish are good tank mates ect....

I can't give you all the specifics, but I do know that Angels can create havoc on a tank if they're not kept properly
FatherLandDescendant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #32
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

As several people mentioned before me, your tank is too small for Angels.

Consider getting the Angels after you get a larger tank, not before. If Angel(s) decide to kill the rams, they will.

v3
Old 08-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #33
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Good idea...thanks! I've got time to decide while the tank cycles anyway, and my light hasn't shown up yet either, so I'm still waiting on planting things too.
LittleMissEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #34
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Ok! My light finally came and I was able to get some plants and fish in!

I now have:
6 Red Minor Tetras (3 regular and 3 long finned)
2 Bunches of Cryptocoryne Undulata
Several pieces of Cryptocoryne Parva
2 Cryptocoryne Spiralis
2 Anubias (I'll have to figure out which ones exactly, these were from my little 2.5 gallon tank so I don't remember what exactly they are....maybe one of you smarty pants can ID them?)
And finally a couple bunches of something that I totally forgot what was called, but soon as I figure it out, or if someone can ID them before I get the chance...I'll edit this post.

Now for pictures! I plan to get some more tall plants for the back and maybe some more for around the rock, but I might wait to do that until it fills out a bit more. Please excuse the crappy cell phone pictures. Once it clears up I'll get some better ones.

Top View

Right side

Left side

Middle

Oh and the fish!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #35
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Also after talking to more experienced fish keepers than myself, I've decided to go ahead and skip the Angels until I get a bigger tank. As much as I love them, it's better to wait. So instead I'm going to get some more different kinds of tetras and then my Electric Blue Rams.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:01 AM   #36
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

So I ran into a little hiccup after I put in those plants which has kept me from putting any more in, as well as fish.

I started to notice what I thought was brown algae on the walls and rocks. I cleaned it off gently, and it was back the next day. I did some research and found that it was a form of Cyanobacteria. I got some Chemiclean and cleaned it out tonight. Hopefully that will do the trick. I will give it a week or so and then if all seems healthy, I will add more plants and fish.

I also seem to have a growth on a couple of my plants. Is this a new rhizome and if so, should I cut it off and re-plant it?

As always, feedback is appreciated!!

Pics:
Gross.....

All clean! Let's hope it stays that way for a while longer!!

Growth?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #37
fish311
Algae Grower

One way to tell if it is cyano is really easy. When you remove it, smell it. Cyano will smell horrible. Also if you go to co2 injection it will lower your ph. If you want your plants to really thrive I would recommend co2 injection. Did your tank fully cycle? Also how often are you doing water changes? As this can have an affect on algae, with high nitrates.
fish311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #38
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Yes the tank fully cycled and my ph measures just fine. If the brown stuff returns I will smell it. Lol What would be the best/cheapest way to inject Co2?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #39
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Oh and I do 20% water changes every two weeks. Every time I put new water in I put in a dose of Prime, Flourish Excel and regular Flourish.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #40
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Anyone?
Old 09-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #41
sadchevy
Planted Member

Emily, your tank is looking good. The brown stuff growing in the tank is not cyanobacteria, it is diatoms, they will go away in time. Some Otto's and/or a couple Bristlenose plecos will help clean them up. More plants will also help, you should get some faster growing stem plants like Ludwigia, Rotala, Watersprite, as these will help with the uptake of nutrients as the tank matures and stabilizes.
You don't "need" CO2 injection to grow plants. It does help, but it also has other components that it "needs" to work properly. Higher light, fert dosing regimes, and such. As a result, it means more maintenance, more frequent trimming of plants, more diligence at watching tank parameters. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's not needed to have nice tank full of beautiful plants. I have several large tanks with lots of plants using the low tech methods and I like the way they are.
As for how your plants are doing now, let them grow. New growth is a good sign, it means the plants are acclimating well to their new home. Add more plants.
I like your fish selection too. I would add to the list: 6 cory cats , the above mentioned ottos or bristlenose, possibly a small school of zebra danios. With that you would have all areas of the tank covered, top, middle, bottom, and a cleanup crew. Your center piece fish would be the Electric blue rams, but know that rams tend to be short lived(1-3yrs). The rest of the fish on the list can live for upwards of 10 yrs or more depending on how healthy they are. I have some Phantom tetras (basically the black version of your red minors) that have been in my 125g tank for almost 12 yrs now.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #42
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Thanks! I am going to be getting a lot more plants today as well as more fish (tetras and Oto's...bristlenose freak me out lol). I am having a hard time finding any local EBR's so I might have to order online. Anyone know of any good sources? I would prefer to be able to have a male/female pair, but I know through places like LiveAquaria they don't let you choose.

Thanks again and I'll post more pics tonight after everything settles!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #43
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Update! Today I got a bunch of new plants that I've already forgotten the name of (should have written them down!) and 6 new Rummy Nose tetras. I am really liking the way it turned out. Hoping things grow like mad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1410066108538.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	367274  

Name:	image_1410066125041.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	367282  

Name:	image_1410066145879.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	367290  

Old 09-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #44
LittleMissEmily
Algae Grower

Finally got a black background and added some more Rummies. Loving the way it's turning out!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image_1410452506780.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	369329