Coralife Freshwater Double Aqua T5 Strip 36 Inch..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-23-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Angels7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Coralife Freshwater Double Aqua T5 Strip 36 Inch..

You would think I should know this since I've had my tanks for so long but I have a question about lighting for my 30 gallon tank because I always get confused about the per wattage lighting etc....

I had an extra Coralife Freshwater Double Aqua T5 Strip 36 Inch fixture that I used when I set up my on my 30 Gallon Bolivian Ram tank a couple of years ago which no longer works so I need to get a new lighting fixture. I have low tech plants in this set up: Java Fern, Anubias Nana and Christmas Moss on driftwood. The lighting has always seemed very bright to me which my Rams don't seem too fond of and neither am I. My light colored substrate makes it even brighter.

Can someone please suggest a different lighting fixture that would be adequate for my plants but not too bright for my Rams?

Also wondering if I should get a different lighting for my 65 Gallon Tank which is pretty tall. Same light fixture Coralife double strip T5 strip. Plant set up is same for this one in this one too... Java Fern, Anubias Nana and Anubias Nana Petite. I sometimes get brown algae on my Anubias plants with this lighting which is something that didn't occur until about a year ago. Thinking if I switch lighting this may help somewhat or possibly make the lighting effects on the tank more interesting.

Thanks!

Last edited by Angels7; 07-24-2014 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Added additional info in post
Angels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
CoryWM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Perhaps the current led lighting series since they have dimmers? I'd say go with a satallite plus and dim it down if needed.
CoryWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
LuckyCharm
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I agreed with CoryWM, there are some LED out there you can dimmed. LED have a higher start up cost, but they energy consumption makes it for it after some time(forgot the time :P )
Based on the plants you named, they're all low light plant. You said that your currently light fixture is too bright for your liking, why try some floating plant to reduce the amount of that light that enters the tank? With the bright light they'd be able to absorb more nutrients from the water and the low light plant shouldn't have a problem with that. Win win :P
~If you think that might work, stay away from duckweed!
LuckyCharm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

If the light does not work, it is most likely the ballast - CoraLife is notorious for that. You can get a replacement Furham ballast for about $25 shipped and changing it is < 30 min job.

Just another option.

v3
Old 07-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
Angels7
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone.... I tried the floating plants before but it didn't work out well from what I recall for one reason or another.

I think I will try the LED lighting on both tanks just to try something different. I've been using these lights for about 7 years now (of course I changed the bulbs as required...lol)

Hopefully since my plants are low light, I shouldn't have any algae outbursts with changing from Double T5 to LED, right?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
CoryWM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

In my experience changing lighting always puts a tank off balance, or at least can. Even changing bulbs. That being said, I don't think it should be too bad for ya. It's just that any time we change a piece of an ecosystem like that, the rest of the tank has to adjust to balance out again.
CoryWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Angels7
Algae Grower

My Satellite LED's should be arriving on Monday. Again, thanks for the suggestions
Old 08-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #8
Angels7
Algae Grower

Absolutely LOVING my LED lights on both tanks! So far both the fish and plants look like they are happy too. Leaves are algae free. Hope it continues.

I really like the capability of adjusting the lighting and the different effects that come with it for daytime and nightime. Especially loving the cool blue simulated moonlight setting!

Again, thanks for the suggestions!