Complexity Journal: 75g "High Tech" Planted Tank / New pics 8-24-2012! - Page 54
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #796
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Now that! Is hilarious!

Im old too. 26 and two kids
You know how i know im old. Cause old farts wake up at 5 in the morning
Guess who cant sleep past 6 30 on his day off? Me

Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #797
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Oh, you're just a youngster. I'm almost double your age!

And I can tell you the real way of knowing when you're getting old: When your conversations with people begin to revolve around body parts (and I don't mean sexual). You know the kind: my back hurts, my blood pressure is getting high, I'm watching my blood sugar... all those wonderful conversations us "old" people get to have.
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #798
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, not to mention when AARP starts sending you stuff in the mail and you discover you quality for the senior citizen discounts. Now that actually hurts! LOL!
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 08-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #799
Aquaticfan
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Or comments like. I remember when I was 26. That's so long ago. Lol. Heck I've got a daughter that's over 20 now. That's when you will feel old.

sent from my HTC EVO 3d
Sun Sun pimp #72
RAOK CLUB # 68

Conway
Aquaticfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #800
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Yup! One daughter over 20 and another just a few months away from the mark.

I remember when "old" was when you had teenagers. Now it's when the kids have grown out of being teens and are in their 20s. I don't want to even think about how old is old when the kids hit middle age! That's gotta be "really old"! LOL!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #801
javajaws
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I feel your pain. Mine are still in their teens. "Old" to me is when I no longer have to pay for their cell phones, car insurance, or college.
javajaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #802
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, goodness, no. Not having to pay for their cell phones, car insurance, or college is what I call parental success! LOL!

Old 08-12-2012, 12:41 AM   #803
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

One can only hope....
Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #804
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Default Before Pics

I got a few pics before I cleaned up the tank last weekend, but they're not very good. I was just messing with my new camera and not actually taking pics of my tank. Being the first pics I tried to take with my new camera, they came out horribly, especially the color. But they're the only pics I have of what the tank looked like before I cleaned it up. So I'm trying to clean up a few of the pics to show the "before" view of the tank.

This pic shows the strange green algae that I kept fighting in that tank. I never could identify this algae. I actually looked at it under the microscope, and it didn't match any of the algae we normally discuss in our tanks. It seemed unsusceptible to H2O2 and Excel, as well. It actually was quite pretty on the hardscape, but since it also got on my plants, I wanted it gone.

This algae had begun dying out on its own for some unknown reason. So I scrubbed it off the wood using a toothbrush. Fortunately, it seems to not be coming back.

If you look closely, you'll also see a few small tufts of BBA on the wood. I scrubbed this off, as well.

I'll post a couple more pics in a little bit.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #805
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Default Before Pics

These pics are simply awful. The color is all wrong. The focus is off. Everything is wrong with them. But they do show the condition of the tank before I cleaned it up.

The plants were severely overgrown. Several of them had reached the surface several times, and rather than trim them properly, I simply trimmed the tips back to their point of origin. That gave me about a week before they hit the surface again. Then when I got really busy and came back from being out of town, some of the plants nearly covered the tank's surface. My goal was to get the plants to grow. Well, they grew! LOL!

The problem was that the lower parts of the plants were being shaded so they were dying. Plus, many of the plants had put out a mass of water roots that congested things and trapped a lot of debris. Add to that the earlier algae on the lower parts, and I had a mess. As a result, the lower parts of the plants began to melt, causing even more algae problems. I suspect I was getting the beginning stages of rhizo algae in some places.

I had seen this coming, but didn't want to disturb the tank too much since my pelvicachromis had just had new fry, but when they lost the fry, it was time to clean up the tank.

These pics fail to show the reds in the plants. They did have red coloring in them. I just can't pull it back out of the pics without making everything look even worse. So just know that the plants were not so yellow/green. That's just because I didn't know how to use my camera.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #806
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Default After Pics

Here's the first after pic. I still need to learn how to use my camera, but the pics are better than they were before.

After seeing how overgrown the tank was, you can see why it ended up taking me 3 days to get the tank back in shape. I pulled up almost all of the plants, trimmed them properly, and replanted the stems I found to be in good health. I cleaned the entire tank, including all of the plumbing intake/outflow pipes. The wood was scrubbed clean with a toothbrush. And I worked hard to clean up all the crud that was littering the substrate. Now the tank not only looks much better, but is much healthier for the plants and fish.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #807
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Default After Pics

These pics pan the tank, from the left side to the right side. If you look closey, you can see my Pelvicachromis swimming around. Their caves are also visible. Normally, the plants hide these, especially the caves in the back.

In this first pic, you can see my juvenile Pelvicachromis from the parents' first set of fry. They're close to the bottom, around the thermometer. I hope to be able to sex them sometime soon.

Very clean wood! The male Pelvicachromis was caught in this picture.

And the female Pelvicachromis was caught in this picture, swimming around with the roselines. The roselines are juveniles. I got them for $3.99 at PetSmart of all places! They were tiny when I got them, but they were all healthy. They've been growing great ever since.

Another nice shot of the female Pelvicachromis. Also, you can see just a little bit of algae left on the tips of my crypt balansae on the far right corner. I haven't treated for it as I'm hoping it'll go away on its own. Plus, I've been trimming them back when they reach the surface. I'll let them reach the surface later, but for now, I want the surface to stay clean.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #808
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Default After Pics

Here are the rest of the pics I took the other day after cleaning out the tank. The pics aren't very good (way overexposed), but they're better than nothing, and I can use them to see how well the plants grow in the next few weeks.

This is my Clinopodium cf. brownei. It is an excellent plant. I have it in this tank, my 90g, and I've put some in my 29g to see how it would do with lower light and no CO2 or ferts. So far, it's done great in every tank I've put it in!

This is definitely one of my favorite plants. I've seen it called Ludwigia Red and Ludwigia hybrid red, but I think it's proper name is Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin'. It doesn't ship very well, but if it does make the trip and settles into the tank, it seems to grow pretty well. Not a rampant grower like most Ludwigias which is a welcome relief actually.

I started out with a couple of stems that branched out. So I've separated the branched stems in hopes of propagating it into a thicker grouping.

I can't believe this plant is growing as well as it is. I've had Rotala macrandra ‘Red’ a few times before, but it always arrives so dried out, it's near death. This time was no exception. In fact, these stems started from a couple of extras I received from a plant deal. I honestly didn't hold much hope that they'd make it. But they did!

I've been scared to separate the branches from the main stems, but they eventually fell apart, forcing the issue. So I trimmed off all the viable branches and planted them. They're actually doing pretty good! I'm starting to use a little Excel to help remove some of the old algae on the leaves which seems to be working.

My Bacopa caroliniana is doing great in my 75g and 90g tanks. The leaves are so huge! I finally had to chop it down and replanted only a few of the best tops.

My Pelvicachromis pair decided to sneak into the picture! I really love how well they've bonded as a pair.

This is probably one of the all-time easiest stems to grow in any tank. I have had this Ludwigia repens x arcuata for years. It's growing in almost all my tanks. It does just as great in my high tech and low tech tanks; however, it can grow very fast when given CO2 and ferts.

This was one of the plants that had completely taken over the surface of my tank a few times. I kept doing minor trimming, but it would just grow back to cover the surface by the next week. So I pulled it all up and planted just a few stem tips. It'll grow back like gangbusters soon enough.

I don't plan to keep this plant in this tank permanently, but used it mostly as a fast growing stem to maintain a higher level of plant mass while the tank was transitioning from a new tank to a more mature tank.

I'm really like this one. It's Ludwigia ovalis. It doesn't seem to like being pulled up and replanted very much. I'm getting dieback from the process. But it seems once it gets a good root system, it grows fine from there.

This was another one of the plants that branched quite a bit, causing a large top being supported by a couple of long, thin bottom stems. They began letting go so I had no choice but to trim up the branches and replant.

The Limnophila aromatica in this tank has strugged a bit, but it's finally beginning to show signs of better growth. I didn't cut the tops off the lower stems just yet, but I'll need to do that at some point since the lower parts of the stems aren't very healthy. I wanted to give the tops a chance to grow a little stronger before cutting them off. This has always been one of my favorite plants!

A closeup of one of the better looking Limnophila aromatica stems. I'm finally getting a little color!

I don't have this one listed in my database for some reason, but I believe it's Alternanthera reineckii. It strugged to grow for a long time, alternating between growing and then having setbacks. It finally started growing better, but I really resisted cutting up the branches for fear that might kill it. So far it seems to be doing pretty good. I need to learn more about this plants' needs to see why it tends to struggle in my tanks.

This is a terrible picture of some of my Bacopa. I think it's some of the Bacopa monnieri that I've had for several years.

What I like about this picture is that you can see 4 of my otos lounging around! I have about 25 otos in the tank. They're one of my favorite "regular" fish.

I tried very hard to get a picture of my female Pelvicachromis, but since these are some of the very first pictures I've ever tried to take with my camera, I don't have anything adjusted right. So the shutter speed is too slow so every move she made caused the picture to blur. This was the best I could get for now.

She's not in her breeding colors because I've disturbed her so much with all the cleaning in the tank. When she's colored up for breeding, the red becomes more intense and she turns almost black all around the red which really emphasizes the red color.

I managed to get the male Pelvicachromis in focus! He's not in his breeding colors, but he's still a very pretty fish.

That's it for now! I wish the pictures came out better, but I'll eventually learn how to use my new camera to get better pics. At least these were better than the first ones I tried to get!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #809
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Vicki,
The tank looks stunning, and I'm sure it was a lot of work to get it there! You were the first person to help me on TPT when I started a planted tank in November 2008! I'm glad to see you are still at it, and making beautiful tanks for us all to enjoy!
Freddie
Old 08-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #810
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

you are righ some of the colors are off a bit, but i will say this. cameras caputre colors we otherwise miss.

i've found c02 can make a difference in color as well. pictures taken with the same camera with c02 too low will appear bland and with c02 where it should be will be deeper colored to the camera

the rubin will actually turn a purplish color under the right conditions

OTHERWISE
the cleaning looks amazing.. the tank definitely did need it. i'd agree it looked liek some rhizo was getting ready to grow.. tank looks great hot shot!
the chromis looks beautiful as well. excellent pair!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.