Complexity Journal: 75g "High Tech" Planted Tank / New pics 8-24-2012! - Page 52
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #766
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Baby steps.. if u clean the canns. Dont vacuum. Do that tomorrow or the day after. Bacteria are fast responders but dont take all their food at once.
Ive seen this cause problems in my tanks before. I.E. algae

What do the barbs look like? I might be able to help you get them to seal

Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #767
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

No, just the opposite. If I clean the canisters, I need to vacuum. The stuff I'm vacuuming up is deteriorating plant debris which is throwing ammonia into the tank, requiring bacteria to convert it to nitrite and then nitrate. If I clean one of the canisters, I'm reducing the amount of bacteria available to do that job. So it's helpful to simultaneously remove the plant debris, thus reducing the need for bacteria. Ordinarily, I would agree with you if the vacuuming was removing more bacteria from the substrate than crud, but that's not what's happening in this case.

Also, remember I'm only cleaning one of my two canisters. This is why I like to run dual canisters. Plus, each canister is loaded with a ton of biomedia which I do not thoroughly clean even when I do a thorough clean out of a canister. It merely gets a gentle dip in treated water. Where I lose the most bacteria is cleaning out the sponges, but I have to do that because they get clogged if I don't.

Here's the hose barb: http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Turbo...life+hose+barb. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the small end that sticks out is the only part in which the hose can fit onto. I use a metal hose clamp (that you close with a slotted screwdriver) which I think is about 1/2" wide. It almost completely covers that whole part. From the design of the hose bib, the connection depends on the one area of the largest diameter. The rest of the hose bib slants downward which is great for getting the hose on, but horrible for getting anything for the clamp to hold onto.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #768
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Alright, I think I finally got it to stop leaking! I decided to try to do it a different way. I managed to find a thinner hose clamp, just thin enough to fit in the flat part between the base and the nipple. It's only about 1/4", and I don't like clamping just the very end like that, but I guess it's better than clamping just the highest edge of the nipple. I also added a little of my o-ring lubricant to help act as a sealer. So far, so good!

I'm going to give it a little time under pressure to be sure it's solid, and if all goes well, then I can finally move forward. Dang, that one hose connection ate up a lot of time!
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #769
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

wow, that is a horrible design

And i remember.. but i would think u would just rinse the cannister in treated water. won't lose much bacteria that way

sponges are easy to clean with a rolling method. and u can save all the bacteria!!!

next time i do a clean i'll take a pic of my media on my shrimp tank, it has no mechanical media.. all bio and takes 5 minutes to clean every 2 months
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #770
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I clean the sponges outside with the garden hose. It has enough pressure to push everything out of the sponge material, making everything clean again. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this is how I prefer to do it. The sponges aren't intended to be part of the biomedia. They're there only for mechanical filtration. I only clean them out every 2-6 months so it's not that big of a deal.

In this case, I'm really glad I chose the particular canister to clean that I did. When I bleached everything, I still didn't trust the sponges I had been using. Even after boiling them, I still didn't want to use them. The only problem was I had ran out of new sponges. So I used some old ones that had collapsed and were more dense than they normally should be. Plus, I didn't have all the right pore sizes. I lost track of which canister had the odd sponges, and it turned out to be the one I just cleaned. So I was able to replace them with the right sponges.

Everything is looking good now! I have the canisters up and running. One canister is completely cleaned while the other only got normal maintenance (cleaned out the floss and polishing pads, cleaned the motor and impeller, and lubed the o-rings). The uv sterilizer is up and running with no leaks. All that's left is a good water change!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the tank responds to this. My fingers are crossed that this marks the turning point for the tank.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #771
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

GOOD.. im glad its turning out good!!
its nifty how thigns work out sometimes!!! and i don't mean to be rude, so please don't take it that way
ur way is as good as mine... but if ur feelign froggy, take ur sponge and roll it with ur hands while in a bucket. the scrubbing action it makes on itself does a great job
Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #772
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I'm done! I'm finally done! Yay! I had no idea the tank had gotten so bad. All that crud was hidden under the plants. It was awful. I'm surprised things didn't get worse than it did. If I had left it like that much longer, I would have had a huge algae farm and may have even had problems with fish health. I even question whether I had some rhizo algae in there. I've never seen anything like it. So much gunk at the bottom. But it's all gone now! Now it's more like a normal planted tank. Not perfectly clean, but none of that gunky stuff.

I've squeezed out the sponges in water before. The stuff that comes out is unbelievable! The water turns black instantly! Then I change the water and do it again. And again. And again. And I can never get it clean. I've even tried using the spray hose at the sink, but it's not strong enough pressure to penetrate to the deeper layer of the sponges. The waterpic in the shower does better, but really, who wants to clean that out in a shower? That's why I do it outside with the spray nozzle on the garden hose. That's got the pressure I need to get through the full thickness of the sponge.

BTW, I don't think you're being rude. You just like it your way and I like it my way, and that's okay. I think I want my sponges cleaner than you want yours which is where the main difference is. When I finish cleaning mine, they are so clean, they're like new again. I think you prefer to save some of the bacteria in your sponges.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #773
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
BTW, I don't think you're being rude. You just like it your way and I like it my way, and that's okay. I think I want my sponges cleaner than you want yours which is where the main difference is. When I finish cleaning mine, they are so clean, they're like new again. I think you prefer to save some of the bacteria in your sponges.
IM perfectly okay with using bleach if i have to
i like mine to look spotless. do remember a little tap water wont kill all the bacteria. its pretty resilient stuff. my sump sponge has to get cleaned once weekly for all of the gunk that it gets.. so i understand ur plight

Im glad to hear its done. wha did you do with all the gunk?? i hear orchids love it at least my parents' orchids love the gunk
Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #774
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I don't think orchids would have liked this gunk so much. It wasn't mulm. It was more like a combination of decaying leaves and snot. That's why I question whether I had some rhizo algae in the mix. Or maybe the snot stuff was just some kind of fungus from all the decaying stuff. I don't know. Whatever it was, it's gone. It's in the trash and down the sink.

Lights on in 40 minutes. I can't wait to see the tank when it lights up!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #775
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

bwahahahaha tank snot

be sure and smile real pretty when the lights come on. it makes the plants happy
Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #776
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Should I talk to them, too?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #777
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

SOUNDS STUPID, but yes.. actually showing love for things makes a big differnece

i have a movie you should watch
"What The Bleep Do We Know Anyways"
Its a whole lot of hooplah and heresay but it poses an interesting point
http://www.whatthebleep.com/crystals/ how many people do you know that Love a hobby and always find their stuff looks amazing and u mimic their every move and ur stuff looks blah??
ever wonder why that happens?

EDIT: lights are on. how does it look???

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 08-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: addon
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #778
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Oh, so now you tell me! After all that work, all I needed to do was show love for my tank? LOL! Actually, all the work I did was showing love for my tank. That's partly why it took me so long.

The tank looks fantastic! The water is so clear and the plants are so clean! There's still some traces of algae on the wood and on some of the plants, but nothing bad. I think I'll hit it with Excel this time around instead of H2O2 for what I hope will be the final knockdown.

I'm getting a few bubbles coming out of the canister I cleaned out, but it may be still purging. It always takes longer to clear out given the stuff I have inline.

The fish are looking very happy. I have one cardinal tetra that wasn't looking good yesterday. His colors were very pale and he was hovering in the corner, apart from the others. This morning, his color looks better and he's rejoined the group. I think he may have been disturbed by all the work I had been doing in the tank. Or he may have been affected by the crud that was in there.

My Pelvicachromis are merrily checking out all the caves again, house shopping it appears for their next breeding try. I normally don't disturb the caves in my tanks, but this time, I lifted them up and cleaned the crud out from inside them. So as far as the Pelvicachromis are concerned, they're all new again. I'm especially happy to see how well the male and female are getting along. They're acting very much like a bonded couple. Very little bickering between them. However, dad isn't too happy with this two surviving youngsters from his first brood. They're getting big enough to start the transition from juvenile to adult, and dad seems to think it's time for the children to move out of the house. Fortunately, the tank seems to be big enough for them all so far.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #779
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

something you might also conisder is a monthly or bi-monthly 80-90 % water change
i do 80% weekly. fishies like it lots. it definitely helps remove a lot of suspended particles, during the draining stage,
I love happy fish!!!!! that's 90% of the reason i went to platned tanks, was for the fish
if i ever get my camera back. i gotta show you melanotaenia praecox displaying to each other
i wake up every morning to watch them now. beautiful displays, and the little yellow strip they light up is incredible
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #780
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I could go for 80-90% water changes. I think they're good for the tank in general, and I agree that the fish really like it.

I used to have praecox rainbows in my 75g a few years ago. They loved to swim with the roselines. They were quite a sight! But for some reason, they just weren't as hardy as my other fish and tended to drop off, one by one, over time. I've thought about getting more or maybe a different rainbow. There are just so many fish I really enjoy. I wish I could get them all!