Complexity Journal: 75g "High Tech" Planted Tank / New pics 8-24-2012! - Page 51
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 AM   #751
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Yeah, I know. I think that's how I lost my first one. After having him for 5 years, he died inexplicably while I was in the process of switching my tanks around. Then I realized that I had taken the wood out of the tank he was in. I had originally planned to move all the fish over to my 90g around the same time, but changed my mind since I was still in school and had gotten busy studying. So I decided to just leave the fish in the 75g until the semester ended. Unfortunately, it didn't connect with me that it meant leaving my pleco in the tank without wood. Not seeing him didn't surprise me so I wasn't worried until I couldn't find him when I moved all the fish over. He was just gone. Eventually, I found his bones. I could only deduce that he died of starvation because I hadn't realized that he didn't have any wood.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #752
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

That would have made me cry personally!!
im sorry to hear that..

AND LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR CAMERA!! i wanna see some hot shots
on a side note. i was gonna take some shots of hygrophilia araguaia so u could see what it looks like, but my camera has come up missing, between dog, child, or ghosts. its gone
Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #753
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Ack, find your camera! I certainly hope your dog hasn't taken up the hobby of photography. Could you just imagine the pictures a dog would take? LOL!

I would have loved to have taken pictures of the tank with all I'm doing to it. It's a pretty big change. I'm still working on it. Lights are supposed to go out in 20 minutes, and I haven't even started on the canisters yet. I decided to uproot and replant more of the plants which is taking up more of my time, but I know it's the best thing to do.

I still have the R. macrandra to clean up and replant, then I can start on the equipment.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #754
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

u need night lights !!!!! i gotta take a picture of mine.. the best thing i ever DIY'ed its my favorite viewing time.. cameras can't take good pictures of it. but its very low light but everything is crisp and clean, easy to see
if i get my camera i'll take a shot of it for ya
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #755
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I have night lights! But I don't think I can get much cleaning done with them on! LOL!

I'll just run the lights late tonight. They're actually lifted up above the tank. I have the canopy configured with brackets that can turn the light fixture into a hanging fixture to give me full access to the tank when I'm working on it. So the tank's lighting has been decreased from normal for the last 2 days so it shouldn't hurt if I run them a little longer tonight.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 AM   #756
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

well stop talking to me!! get it done girl
Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #757
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I did! LOL! But now I'm done for the night. I'm down to the equipment part, and I didn't want to start doing that when it's so late and I'm so tired. I'll start off on that in the morning. Plus, this will let the tank run overnight to pick up whatever crud it can which will get cleaned out when I clean out the canister. So that's not such a bad thing anyway.

I had no idea it would take 3 days to clean out this tank!

Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #758
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

here's a shot of my lighting configuration. i know i told u i would take a shot
and a shot of the tank with clean driftwood thanks to the pleco
platns are still regrowing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-31_10-49-24_977.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	51940  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-07-31_10-50-11_499.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	51941  

Last edited by HD Blazingwolf; 01-14-2013 at 01:21 AM..
HD Blazingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #759
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Wow, your lights are so colorful! You have the most unique mixture of lights I've ever heard of.

While cleaning my tank earlier, I remembered our conversation about the lights. So I looked at my lights and realized that I put both of my aquaflora bulbs in the front of the fixture. So I've decided to move the fixture back a little to center those bulbs over the middle of the tank.

Your tank looks great! The pleco certainly does keep that wood clean! Is that blyxa separating the foreground from the stems in the back? It's looking really good. I'm losing a lot of my blyxa. Not sure why. What is that you have planted in the foreground?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 AM   #760
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

thanks, that is blyxa, it can be a temperatmental plant
how deep did u plant it? i find depth makes a big differenceo n that plant. don't plant deep. and once it grows roots, pull it up a little
the forground is starogyne repens. its about to get really bushy. i did my first trim today, NOT shown in picture

EDIT: tom barr has a very unique mixture himself
Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #761
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

That may be my problem with the blyxa then. I planted it pretty deep because the roseline sharks like to eat it so they pull it up. I'll pull them up a little. Thanks for the tip!

Your S. repens is looking really good! I got some S. 'low grow' awhile back and almost lost it. It started melting pretty bad. But a little bit hung in there. I then split what I had between the 75g and 90g tanks (thinking that would give it two chances at succeeding). I lost it all in the 75g, but the pieces in the 90g finally rooted and started growing.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #762
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

You cant move starogyne. It melts everytime u put it in a new tank..
If ur sharks are eating blyxa, thats multiplying the problem. It quickly disassociates itself from damaged leaves.

And thanks for the compliment but the repens should start really going nuts in about 2 more weeks now that its been trimmed. My loaches are nibbling at it and araguaia which is making it hard for those plants to survive
Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #763
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

hey, blazingwolf, what kelvin ratings are those bulbs? id be very interested to see what they fixture as a whole looks like under a spectrometer. ive never seen one with so much variety.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #764
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

Ge starcoat 6700k. Geisemann midday - 6000k.. geisemann aquaflora ur guess is as good as mine
Wavepoint redwave- guess again it is the purple bulb though and also my favorite. Makes the tank look much more natural. Even by itself its beautiful and doesnt look purple at all once the light enters the water
Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #765
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Got the uv sterilizer bulb changed out! I'm actually glad I did, but not because of the bulb. I found that the uv sterilizer was full of dead baby MTS snails! I don't normally open up the uv sterilizer, and I hadn't thought that I'd need to clean it out after I had killed all the snails. Fortunately, they were all dead (which is why I ran bleach through the entire system before I started over). It was a strong reminder of why I went to such great lengths to get rid of those snails.

Now I'm just waiting to see if the connections are solid. One connection has given me fits with a very slow leak. I have never liked the way the uv sterilizer hose bibs are made. They are notorious for leaking. One connection just would not stop leaking so I cut off the old hose end to ensure a fresh connection. That seemed to help, but it still had a tiny leak. Loosening the hose clamp seemed to help. I think I had it too tight. Last I checked, it still had the tiniest leak, but I'm hoping it's just residual water from before.

Once I can get the connections solid, then I will start cleaning out the canisters. After that, I'll do another water change with a thorough vacuuming of the crud on the substrate (not plunging, but just getting what's sitting on top), then I should be done.