Complexity Journal: 75g "High Tech" Planted Tank / New pics 8-24-2012! - Page 46
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #676
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

More pics!

This is Rotala macrandra that I got as an extra in a plant sale. I'm thrilled that it's surviving. I honestly didn't think it had a chance. It was in bad shape when I got it, and I've had a tough time growing it in the past. Then just as it looked like it might make it, it got covered in algae. But to my surprise, this one hung in there and is showing more and more signs that it's alive. It pearls like crazy!!

Some little stems of the same Rotala macrandra. They fell off the main stem so I planted them. You can see how the old growth is basically dead, but now there's new growth that's looking much better.

Another stem that's been struggling, but is beginning to do better is the Alternanthera reineckii. I need to move it to a more shaded area, but I haven't wanted to disturb it for fear that would be the last straw. It was also covered in that algae, but it's looking much better now and starting to grow again.

The bushy looking plant in the back was sold to me as Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides', but it appears to be the green version. I'm not seeing even a hint of red on the plant. I'll still give it a chance though. This one was covered in diatoms and the otos have unburied it so it's finally starting to show some nice signs of growth. So who knows, maybe it'll get some red color later?

The plant in front is purple Cabomba. It's a really pretty plant. I don't know how long it'll last in my tanks though since I've heard amanos love to eat it and I have 50 amanos on order for this tank. I guess I'll find out if amanos really do eat it.

This last picture is of my Lindernia rotundifolia 'Variegated' (baby tears). It definitely needs to be uprooted, trimmed, and replanted. I've held off doing it because it had been covered in diatoms and had begun declining for awhile. So I wanted to leave it connected to the roots it had for now. Once the tank is more stable, I'll prune this one to look much better.

So there's the pictures! It's still a work in progress, but things are getting better.
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #677
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Changes from 6-13 to 7-4 (21 days). Some plants have shown considerable growth while others have been pretty sluggish. Not as much growth as I would normally expect in 3 weeks time, but considering the problems with algae and diatoms, it's not too bad.

Tank on June 13:

Tank on July 4:

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 07-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #678
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Tank looks great but IMO needs a thicker fuller background stand of plants.
Looks like a lot of foreground plants could be moved into the midground as well, thicken that out and create some texture that isnt as broken up by empty space.

I think people often try to spread their plants out evenly so it looks more full but it ends up looking sparse and unplanned.

The blyxa especially could be grouped closer and pushed further back, especially the ones in the middle by themselves.

edit: not sure if you were looking for critiques! Tank looks great, just thought I'd throw that out there hope you don't mind!

Last edited by Chlorophile; 07-05-2012 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: edit
Chlorophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #679
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks, I appreciate the critiques! And I couldn't agree with you more. The tank is a mess right now because it's not scaped yet.

The plants are where they are simply to grow and get the tank started. I completely restarted the tank recently so this is basically a whole new setup again which means I need to get the tank going from nothing. And you know how new setups are prone to algae and other problems.

So what I've been concentrating on is killing off the algae, getting rid of diatoms, and getting the plants to grow. Once that is accomplished and I have strong plant growth, then I'll rearrange the plants into an actual scape (well, as best a scape as I'm able to do!).

Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #680
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

scaped or not, I still say the tank is looking fantastic! And I'm still jealous of your photography skills

Those cardinals really look amazing in the tank too, what bright little pops of color they add to the tank!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank

Last edited by Karackle; 07-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #681
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Check out desmids and see if it matches the algae, Complexity. It looks a lot like it or the little sliver moon ones I can't think of the name of. It's actually a great food source. I grow it on purpose. It is a sign of super healthy water, so your other algae should be disappearing soon!

Plants are starting to show some uber healthy growth, yay! Can't wait until you start shuffling things around to where you want them.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #682
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
scaped or not, I still say the tank is looking fantastic! And I'm still jealous of your photography skills

Those cardinals really look amazing in the tank too, what bright little pops of color they add to the tank!
Thank you! My camera is so old, I'm surprised it's still working. But it still beats anything else I have so I keep using it.

I have cardinals in almost all my tanks. I love them for their pop of color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Check out desmids and see if it matches the algae, Complexity. It looks a lot like it or the little sliver moon ones I can't think of the name of. It's actually a great food source. I grow it on purpose. It is a sign of super healthy water, so your other algae should be disappearing soon!
I took a look, but didn't see anything that matched. I'll get another sample under the microscope and try to get a picture of it this time. I've been looking and looking and just cannot get an ID on it. I'd really like to know what it is, not only to control it, but because I have a huge curiosity of what's in my tanks!

Quote:
Plants are starting to show some uber healthy growth, yay! Can't wait until you start shuffling things around to where you want them.
Yeah, they're just beginning to take off. I just started a journal on my 90g which really has some nice growth. Once I get this 75g growing plants just as well, then I'll be ready to scape them both. That's when the fun will really begin!

Last edited by Complexity; 07-06-2012 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #683
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

That's looking great!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #684
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks, Hydrophyte!

Here's the latest update: The Pelvicachromis female has begun nesting in the caves. She's piled up the substrate in the front of two caves so it looks like the pair are getting ready to breed.

The baby tears finally got so top heavy they uprooted themselves and the whole mess came floating to the top. So I spent a long time sorting through it all to make plantable pieces. Got that done and ended up with probably 25 stems, many with multiple branches. So now it's planted in about 4 places in the tank. Eventually, I'll narrow it down to something more reasonable, but I want the plant mass for now.

I moved a bunch of Ludwigia from my 90g to the 75g. It's taking up the whole area behind the driftwood. That should add nicely to the plant mass.

I got busy this last week and missed some of my fert dosing, and I can already see the difference in the plant growth. So I need to be sure to keep my ferts on schedule. No accidental skipping. The tank can't handle it.

That's about it for now. Tomorrow I'll move more plants from my 90g to the 75g and do the weekly water change.

Last edited by Complexity; 07-07-2012 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: another typo, as always
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 AM   #685
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

The tank is beautiful from the photos on the prior page but this is what really led me here - Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red', is this the name of a fish because I really like any kind of Kribensis but I haven't found a close up while hunting through your thread.

I also like what ever camera you are using and you have good photo skills because the pics are very clean, bright, and colorful.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #686
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
The tank is beautiful from the photos on the prior page but this is what really led me here - Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red', is this the name of a fish because I really like any kind of Kribensis but I haven't found a close up while hunting through your thread.
I keep trying to get a pic of them, but being cichlids, they're too smart. Every time I try to zoom in for a close up, they swim off and hide. I guess the camera must look like a huge eye to them.

The only pic I could find that has the is this one. They're in the middle, a little towards the right side, close to the front of the tank. They look like they're doing their mating dance.

Quote:
I also like what ever camera you are using and you have good photo skills because the pics are very clean, bright, and colorful.
Thank you! My camera is so old! It's about a decade old and only 3 megapixels. I really want a new camera so I can zoom in closer from further away. Then I might have a chance of getting some pics of my Pelvicachromis.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #687
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

I can see both of them but even with Ctrl + it's hard to zoom in before the quality degrades. This is what I do, oh btw your right my fish hate the camera and take off, now back to taking a photo, feed them a treat like frozen brine shrimp where they have to swim up toward the surface to eat and they won't pay any attention to you or the camera, I took these this morning.

Pelvicachromis sacrimontis - Green Kribensis

I have one Pelvicachromis pulcher left in my tank, he is a male and was born in my tank around 5-30-2005, I have a photo of about 30 fry but I have no idea which one he is in the photo, he used to look just like yours but time has taken it's toll. If I get a good photo of him I'll share it with you.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #688
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Your Greens are beautiful!! How long have you had them? Have they bred for you yet? And, yes, please let me see your P. pulcher if you get a good pic. I can never grow tired of seeing them!

I thought of getting a pic of my Moliwes this morning when I fed them, but I was busy doing a bunch of other things at the time so the thought was fleeting. I'll try to get a pic. They are really pretty. The female is in full breeding colors and the male has matured into a really striking fish. By the looks of things, it shouldn't be long before they'll have fry.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #689
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

This is a terrible picture, but it's the only one I was able to get. It would have helped if my glass was clean!

It looks like they may have spawned already. The female is staying in her cave which she's built up the substrate around the opening, and the male is guarding outside the cave. This is pretty normal for a breeding pair that's guarding eggs or brand new fry that's not free swimming yet.

So I didn't want to disturb them too much. I barely got this one pic before they darted back into their positions in and around the cave.

These are my Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' breeding pair in my 75g tank:

Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #690
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

Mine looked very similar to that 5 years ago, that's not a bad photo and I'd rather get a good look at the fish and not worry about the pixels.

My greens did have one brood early last year and then nothing, my water is cool, soft, and acidic so it may not be idea for them to breed, Aqua Botanic said "I think that on a scale of 1 -10, with 10 being ‘just add water and they will breed), P. sacrimontis is a 7. The key factors for success in my fish room were to not try to breed a pair alone and give the fish a lot of very private spawning sites. More that half of the spawns that have occurred in my tanks went unnoticed until the fry were being led around the tank by their parents. Cave choice is important too. They are typical kribs in that they like a roomy cave with an opening just large enough or the male to slip into." I do have one small ceramic cave in the back of mu tank but I removed some rocks so I could have a large piece of wood, so all off my Kuhli loaches moved into the cave, I should put a few more caves back there no one would ever know.