Looking for suggestion. Dwarf Baby Tears
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-20-2014, 03:54 AM   #1
cwan

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking for suggestion. Dwarf Baby Tears

I have a 15 gallon setup here. I am using eco complete substrate here, 36 watt light on for 8.5 hrs daily on timer with a fan to keep the light running cool. I have the tank covered in saran wrap except for when i mist my plants with plain water 2x daily. The plants are very healthy and look great but they aren't growing... I tried goin to 10 hrs of light before and then they started to dry/burn so i replanted. What am i doing wrong here? Its been a month and they still arent spreading out.
cwan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I've never had long term success with HC. I've been successful with DSM but never to long after flooding.

I think your issue is Eco complete. Eco complete is intert and HC is heavy root feeder...
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
picotank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

HC needs a lot of C02. I started mine flooded in a dirt tank and it went crazy with growth.
If I were you I would put some first in the substrate, flood, and add C02........
The Fraternity of Dirt #70
picotank is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
atomicjade
Algae Grower

I am a newb so take this as you will. I have a 2 gallon Spec, sugar sand cap with organic soil under neath. No co2 but a very powerful (26w) light. After a couple days from the pet store it already looks bushy and I can see the roots reaching more. Since my tank has such a small foot print (and is a dire patience trier when it comes to planting...) I didn't separate and planted just in one glob. Oh and my tank was already running with a betta in it.
.: Nikon Pimp #074 :.
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 PM   #5
Wheely34
Algae Grower

I am currently carpetting a 4 gallon with dwarf baby tears. This is a difficult plant...period. There are people on youtube that make it look simple. They grow beautful carpets in a month's time, and everything just goes peachy. My hat is off to them.

A lot of people mix Excel into their spray bottles and mist the plants with that. I've never done it without Excel, so I can't compare. If you are going to remain growing them "dry", I highly recommend mixing Excel into your water and see how that goes.

I started dry myself. I have a 25 watt T5 6500 Finnex, homemade substrate with peat moss infused with Iron and all the other micros and macros, root tabs, and the light was on 9 hours a day. I was getting growth, but not the rate I was expecting, so after a month I just decided to flood the tank. I let it go for a week and a half, dosing Excel everyday, but the tears started losing that vibrant green color. I began injecting Co2 and they perked right up within a day or two and are now growing again.

Point of the story is, these plants are very high maintanace and require a lot of...everything (nutrient rich substrate, tons of light, co2, and dosing the water column).

Co2 is most likely your missing piece. Mix Excel into your water and see how that goes. If it doesn't help, my only solution would be to flood and inject co2. Dry starting is supposed to be better because there is much more co2 available in the air than in the water (quoting what I have read on the internets). Regardless of this, some people hate it, others swear by it.

I personally have had more success with flooding and co2 injection. This is my experience and is not the "end-all" solution.

Good luck with it. That tank is going to look great once they start carpeting.
*Barb species tank
Wheely34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Revenant
Algae Grower

Eco-Complete grows HC just fine. I would look a little closer at your lighting.
Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

You don't need to cover HC. Just keep the soil wet and blast that light. I did 14 hours a day on my emersed HC growout tank. Also ECO has no nutritional content so it's going to grow slow. Put some fert tabs/pellets in there.

There is no need to put excel in the water. Air has all the CO2 this plant will need to grow.

Wet soil, nutrient rich substrate, and light is all you need to grow HC emersed.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquascape, baby tears, dry start, dsm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.