DIY Hanging Sliding Lights holder for Aquarium tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
simontay78
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

DIY Hanging Sliding Lights holder for Aquarium tank

When I bought the aquarium tank from the fish shop, I didn't realised that the sides of the fish tank are covered by glass hence my T5 lights clamps cannot actually slide into the sides & clamp down securely.

The 2nd problem I faced was when I'm cleaning the tank and catching the fishes or rearranging my decorations, the lights always obstruct my hands making it hard for me to do my maintenance.

These two problems bothered me quite a while and I had to search online for solutions.

The final solution that I found on youtube is some light hanging kit which my fish shops don't really sell at all and refer me to hardware shops which don't sell a complete set specifically for hanging aquarium lights.

So eventually, I had to DIY (Do it yourself) a hanging slider lights holder for my aquarium tank.

I bought a few PVC pipes from the fish shops and lot's of connectors elbows & T-joints, some hanging screws nuts & washer, chains and eventually the curtain slider rods.

I don't really know the actual name of the items so if you want can show them this video so they can find you the items.

The PVC pipes I got from fish shops and the rest I gotten from hardware shop.

simontay78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #2
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

That is a pretty clever idea. I almost hate to say it but you're right, it is kind of unsightly. But it works & makes life easier so sometimes that's all that matters. If there was a way to eliminate the front PVC pipes & still be stable I think it would look much better especially since you're using clear PVC. Or maybe if it wasn't so tall. But I do like the idea of sliding the lights back/forth.

I used a couple hanging plant pulleys for my lights -- one on each end. Similar to these:
Amazon.com : Easy Reach Plant Pulley(Set of 2) : Plant Hooks : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Easy Reach Plant Pulley(Set of 2) : Plant Hooks : Patio, Lawn & Garden
. It lets me raise/lower my fixtures. The pulley is a bit big & would be considered unsightly to others but it makes it so much easier to work in the tank. Where my tank sits is under the bulkhead for duct work so the ceiling was low enough I didn't need to use additional chain like I would have if the ceiling was regular height. I used those eye-bolts in the ceiling & hung the pulley's from them. Nice thing about them is if I ever need more light I can lower my fixtures or if too much light can raise them.

About your video, I like how you inset yourself in the corner while still showing the items you're talking about. Makes it nice to see you & your steady pic while at the same time see what you're referring to. And it's not jerky like some people when they're trying to talk & film at same time. Good job!
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diy, hanging, hanging kit, lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.