E-Series Club: Showcase your E-Series Tank! Links to journals & more!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Talking

E-Series Club: Showcase your E-Series Tank! Links to journals & more!

Welcome to the E-Series Club!!!

Do you own the Ecoxotic E-Series or like to learn more about one? This is the place for you!

***DISCLAIMER***
This is strictly a 'fan club,' I don't work for Ecoxotic (or Current) and this club is not in any way affiliated with Ecoxotic/Current-USA.***

Since this community and all those who stumbled upon the Sat+ Club in their search for more information and inspiration seemed to benefit from our shared knowledge and experience, me and FlyingHellFish thought it would be great to start this club as well. Let's get together and show what this new and exciting LED fixture can do!!!

Join the Club!

In this club we encourage:
  • Shared experience with the Ecoxotic E-Series w/ tons of pictures (& YouTube video if you made one)!
  • Tip & Tricks for the novice to advance users
  • Links to journals utilizing this fixture
  • Open discussion with everything else pertaining to the Ecoxotic E-Series
  • Be respectful. Always.

So please, don't be shy. Post your pictures, link to your journals, ask questions, and more importantly... LET'S HAVE SOME FUN!

***FOR THE LATEST & GREATEST NEWS, CHECK OUT ECOXOTIC'S BLOG***
http://www.ecoxotic.com/community/blog

Other Links of interest for the E-Series:
Reviews & Blogs:
Journals featuring an E-Series (in alpha order by user):
-- Just start posting on this thread with your FTS pics and links to your journal. Or, please PM me if I missed any journals or if you'd like me to add yours here
Quote:

Rock the banner! Or link to this club!
COMPLETELY OPTIONAL:
- This doesn't do anything for you like win you something or get you a discount, well maybe it does something... makes you look cool!!!

Simply copy & paste the HTML into your signature editor.

Large banner:

HTML Code:
 [URL="http://tinyurl.com/e-series-pimps"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibafPKky29W4OV.gif[/IMG][/URL]
Small banner:

HTML Code:
 [URL="http://tinyurl.com/e-series-pimpsb"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/i02tbo6KMrKz8.gif[/IMG][/URL]
**Don't like the banner I designed? You can just link text in your signature then, I promise my feelings won't get hurt
Copy & Paste Away:
HTML Code:
[URL="http://tinyurl.com/e-series-pimps"]E-Series Club[/URL]
If it is done successfully, it should appear like this ----> E-Series Club

**Also --- PM me any suggestions to add anything here that I may have overlooked! Thank you!

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 07-26-2014 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: journals added
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

--UPDATED--
3 Weeks of growth:

YouTube Video of my tank (includes a time lapse of the sunset ramp at the end: 15min sped up to 1.3 minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aemk...3XU-ETcpKSVsbQ

Now... 5 Weeks (as of 7/25/14)

Check out the PEARLING on the Rotala!

Red developing more in the R. Macrandra (plus pearling!):

Last edited by Brian_Cali77; 07-26-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: Added Pictures :)
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 AM   #3
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Reserved spot!

FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Following. I can't decide if I want to go LED yet, every year makes the last seem not so great in comparison but this light has caught my eye (obviously if you follow my posts). Just want to see what people do with it, it may be a purchase I make soon, I may hold out to see what others do but this light is a huge step in the right direction for planted tanks and LED's, as far as I can tell, budget included.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #5
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

waiting for mine to come in. have over a dozen finnex and almost as many sat+ but find both lacking, finnex requires mixing monster ray with ray2 or fugeray for color rendition and plant growth, while sat+ has the right color with adjustments but lacks par. i use them on my low tech tanks and they work fine but not living up to they hype IME. also have the BML dutch and it works but not what i expected for the price. to be honest i am still in the T5HO camp for my main planted tanks for their par output (tek or ati sunpower) and ability to change color with bulb changes. i still believe led is the future but mfg still need to fine tune the spectrums for our applications. yes you can DIY but i have no illusions about my DIY skills, and need a polished finished product. this LED looks promising as its basically a more powerful sat+.
dhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

Default E-Series Club: Showcase your E-Series Tank! Links to journals & more!

I got my light on Wednesday. So far I like it I enjoy the moonlight and 24hr timer. I am in no way an expert in planted tanks as this is my first go at one but I have learned a lot in the process and I am currently in the works of starting dry ferts.
I have a journal that is focused on my 55 gallon that I started when I got my light. I have seen some good growth within the five days I had the light.

Lyfeoffishing's 55 gallon community
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=673665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Following. I can't decide if I want to go LED yet, every year makes the last seem not so great in comparison but this light has caught my eye (obviously if you follow my posts). Just want to see what people do with it, it may be a purchase I make soon, I may hold out to see what others do but this light is a huge step in the right direction for planted tanks and LED's, as far as I can tell, budget included.
Just do it, Matt! Join the club! I'm actually getting good growth on my 60p's recovery effort. I'm going to post some before and after shots this weekend. I wanted to wait a little longer for more dramatic pics, but I'm pretty sure the difference is quite apparent -- albeit just 3 weeks.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhavoc View Post
waiting for mine to come in. have over a dozen finnex and almost as many sat+ but find both lacking, finnex requires mixing monster ray with ray2 or fugeray for color rendition and plant growth, while sat+ has the right color with adjustments but lacks par. i use them on my low tech tanks and they work fine but not living up to they hype IME. also have the BML dutch and it works but not what i expected for the price. to be honest i am still in the T5HO camp for my main planted tanks for their par output (tek or ati sunpower) and ability to change color with bulb changes. i still believe led is the future but mfg still need to fine tune the spectrums for our applications. yes you can DIY but i have no illusions about my DIY skills, and need a polished finished product. this LED looks promising as its basically a more powerful sat+.
Wow.. sounds like you have some good experience to make some meaningful comparisons. I've owned a lot of LEDs too. Finnex Ray 2, Fluval Aqualife & Plant LED, and Sat+ -- not BML, however. TBH, I'm pretty stoked with this E-Series so far. It's not perfect, but what is nowadays? I think you may be able to find fault in some capacity if that's what you're looking for. But I'm in 'the cup is half full' camp... so I see positive things with this light. I'll be writing a review soon. Welcome to the club!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyfeoffishing View Post
I got my light on Wednesday. So far I like it I enjoy the moonlight and 24hr timer. I am in no way an expert in planted tanks as this is my first go at one but I have learned a lot in the process and I am currently in the works of starting dry ferts.
I have a journal that is focused on my 55 gallon that I started when I got my light. I have seen some good growth within the five days I had the light.

Lyfeoffishing's 55 gallon community
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=673665

Hi, Lyfeoffishing... glad you're enjoying your new light. Pretty good choice for a "first go." You'll find the ability to fine tune the photoperiod and dimming capability far more convenient than old methods of drastically shortening duration or increasing distance (via suspension) in hopes of taming a light.
Thanks for adding your journal here. I'll link it in our list. Welcome to the club!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
Lyfeoffishing
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Hi, Lyfeoffishing... glad you're enjoying your new light. Pretty good choice for a "first go." You'll find the ability to fine tune the photoperiod and dimming capability far more convenient than old methods of drastically shortening duration or increasing distance (via suspension) in hopes of taming a light.
Thanks for adding your journal here. I'll link it in our list. Welcome to the club!

Thanks Brian!!!!

I am having some trouble with tapatalk updating my participation threads right now

Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

There's a lot weird things going on in this forum. I could've sworn I changed my signature with our new club banner but viewing this right now in "web view," it somehow reverted back to my old signature... LOL
Old 07-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #12
EwDeg
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hey Brian, not sure if you have a par meter, but if so, do you notice much drop off in par as you move towards the front or rear of the tank?

20H Community
10g Red Rili

Winner of the Infamous Never-ending RAK of 2014!
EwDeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #13
KekoaLyons
Algae Grower

I Got Mine On Tuesday For My 20x18x20 Unfortunately My Remote Is Buggy And Can Not Save My Settings So Have to get A New Remote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	344801  

KekoaLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #14
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Hi EwDeg,

I don't have a PAR meter, but being that my 60p is only 12" deep and 14" tall, my entire tank's substrate is well lit. All my plants are growing. UG is filling in the foreground, sending runners. Stem plants, like my Rotala Macrandra in the back are developing red tips. It's only been about 3 weeks since I started using the light. Everything was practically newly planted, so I'm going to post a before and after pic soon. I was going to wait longer for a more dramatic difference, but I think everyone can benefit to see the light's potential in growing plants (sooner than later).

There is a little less even coverage toward the top of the tank due to the beam angle emitting light from such a shinny fixture with just a single row of LEDs. But I'm going to remedy this with the suspension kit, when ecoxotic releases it. I believe there's enough PAR output to allow me to suspend it a tad.

Perhaps later, after I grow out this tank completely.. I "might" try how it would be to combine its power in conjunction with a Sat+. Just for fun non-scientific experimental purposes.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
Aquascape Depot
Sponsor

Love the signature pic Brian!

Chat with us @ our Sponsored Forum
Aquascape Depot is offline   Reply With Quote