Which SunSun filter?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Which SunSun filter?

I'm setting up a 40B to take the place of my other tank, I'm thinking of getting a SunSun canister filter but I'm not sure which one. I was thinking either the one labeled 525GPH (304B) or the 370GPH (303B).

I was reading some reviews and people said the GPH advertised wasn't near what it actually produced, making me not sure which would be appropriate. For filter media, do I need to purchase 2 SunSun filter media sets or just one? The filter description doesn't specify. The 525 filter says it has 4 media baskets and the 370 has 3.

This would also be running my Cerges style reactor. Currently my reactor is on a filstar XP1 which is rated at 250GPH.

I'm planning on making my own DIY spray bar and intake to span the length of the 40b.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
etk300ex
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a 302 on my 50B, works great. I would say get 3 sets of filter media. I use cut to fit course pads and floss.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Honestly if I were you, I'd get the 304b. I have an aquatop cf500 (same thing as the sunsun) on my 75 gallon and it wasn't enough. Also, you'd be running a reactor and a spray bar running the entire length which would cut down on the flow quite a lot. I think a 304b is perfect for your setup
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Krucianking
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just got a 304 yesterday its bigger than I thought. Its going on a 60g dirt tank I'm putting together going to do a tank journal on it.
Krucianking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
terran2k
Algae Grower

get the bigger filter, you'll have more flexibility down the line.
terran2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the input. Does the filter media that you buy only fill one media basket? Or am I better off just adding ceramic rings/ bio balls?

Last edited by latchdan; 07-11-2014 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #7
terran2k
Algae Grower

the 2 sunsun filters I bought came with the bio balls, cermaic rings, filter pad and carbon.
although I added some plastic dish scrubbers go give the bacteria more surface area to grow on.
I did not use the activated carbon.
terran2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

My aquatop didn't come with anything, I don't know if its different for sunsun but in the long run I think it's better to get some quality bio media. I like the fluval ceramic rings. If your curious of how to fill it I recommend doing it this way.

From top to bottom
1st basket- 1000g of bio media and/or purigen if you want (ceramic/glass rings)
2nd- 1000g of bio media maybe some poly-fill as added filtration
3rd- poly-fill, polishing pads, sponges (mechanical filtration)
4th- Poly-fill/ coarse sponge

I find this way pretty successful. Poly-fill or regular old polyester is a very good option for mechanical filtration and sometimes too well. You can grab a bag that'll last you pretty long for $5 at home goods. I got my fluval ceramic on sale at petco for $10 a box so I'd look out for sales going on.
AlecFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecFish View Post
My aquatop didn't come with anything, I don't know if its different for sunsun but in the long run I think it's better to get some quality bio media. I like the fluval ceramic rings. If your curious of how to fill it I recommend doing it this way.

From top to bottom
1st basket- 1000g of bio media and/or purigen if you want (ceramic/glass rings)
2nd- 1000g of bio media maybe some poly-fill as added filtration
3rd- poly-fill, polishing pads, sponges (mechanical filtration)
4th- Poly-fill/ coarse sponge

I find this way pretty successful. Poly-fill or regular old polyester is a very good option for mechanical filtration and sometimes too well. You can grab a bag that'll last you pretty long for $5 at home goods. I got my fluval ceramic on sale at petco for $10 a box so I'd look out for sales going on.
Is poly fill like quilt batting? It seems it doesn't come with a course sponge. Are there alternatives? the one they sell are 10 a piece.

Last edited by latchdan; 07-12-2014 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
AlecFish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes. Poly-fill is polyester quilt batting, whatever you call it is the same stuff. I got a huge bag for $3. As far as the coarse sponge goes, my aquatop came with it so I assumed it came with the sunsun. But it really isn't all that important, it's basically a pre-filter. It'll trap the larger particles but not much more.

If you want to just do two baskets full of polyester man, your tank is gonna be clean maybe some polishing pads in there as well to get it even cleaner you'll be doing it right.
AlecFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:05 AM   #11
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just wanna give an update, I have the filter up and running. I'm kinda disappointed with it, the flow is horrible. This might be caused by the DIY spraybar/cergest reactor or maybe something else.

I drilled 34 holes in the spray bar with a 5/32 inch drill bit the stock spray bar had 28 holes at same diameter.

The flow sprays about 2 maybe 3 inches out the holes which I feel is very weak.

I really didn't want to run two filters on this tank since that is what I had to do on my 37 gallon (rena xp1 and a aquaclear 50) I feel the rena xp 1 had a lot better flow, with even the cergest reactor installed.

So I got two options it seems, make a new spray bar half as long and hope the flow is better, and hook up the xp1 or get a higher output filter. I can't get anything taller then this filter (17). Its really tight under my stand as is.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
HUNTER
Wannabe Guru

The more holes you have the less pressure the water output will be. You can have more holes with smaller diameter to give the jet type flow. Also, it will lessen the flow if you have more media. Just hook up your other canister, or bigger filter.
HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im going to remake my spray bar to 24", I'm torn if i want the inlet to be on the side with a 90 degree elbow or use a T in the middle. Anyone have an idea if the elbow or T causes more friction loss? I mean the elbow will have more tubing and the T will have less. The Full length spray bar I think is causing wayyyy loss of output.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #14
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I may be a little late but if you have a gun glue you can put a drop of glue over the holes to close some off. Works really good. Put the drop on, let if firm up just a bit (just enough that it won't drip off) probably less than a second, then turn the bar over so the glue doesn't run down all the way through to the inside where stuff can get caught on it. Take a knife & cut the 'drop' off even with the spray bar. I did that with my PVC spraybar which I spray painted black & they're not really noticeable because of the surface water movement. It's an easy way to experiment with holes & sizes without having to make new bar each time.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #15
Linwood
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
I drilled 34 holes in the spray bar with a 5/32 inch drill bit the stock spray bar had 28 holes at same diameter.

The flow sprays about 2 maybe 3 inches out the holes which I feel is very weak.
I just bought 3 404B's (as best I can tell the 404B and 304B are pretty much the same but the former a bit larger media area?).

I made two spray bars, with a few more holes than you (they are about 20" and holes every half inch). I used a 1/8th inch drill so smaller holes. When I discharge on the top of the water I get a good disturbance for almost a foot (i.e. no scum) and flow for 2' or more. Not great, but adequate.

I measured the flow at about 278 with or without (light) media, far short of the 525, but my Fluval is also far short of it's rating.

My suggestion is just start putting electrical tape over holes until you get what you want, then redo the bar with that number of holes. Or do the math afterwards and reduce the size of the hole to give the same aggregate hole area.

I also made another one for my Fluval 306, and wanted more spray, and found that if you use Schedule 80 pipe instead of Schedule 40 or SDR (I used the latter in my 404B bars) you get a bit more of a nozzle effect as the wall is thicker.

Isn't PVC wonderful - cheap to experiment with.

Latest tank build: 220 Tall
Linwood is offline   Reply With Quote