Nematode I think
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-10-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nematode I think

I know it's blurry guys but these guys don't stay still and it's my phone cam.

Is this more than likely a nematode?

Top center in this one...

And after much research...I still am compelled to ask. Is *No Planaria* best thing to kill them? A lot of posts I read were conflicting. Most used No Planaria to kill something else and either noticed it killed nematodes in the process...some seemed like they still found some after treatment for planaria.

I have no fish to eat them atm, just amanos in my tank.

I would rather nuke them with something if there is something that works well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Old 07-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Best shot I can get. The front half seems thicker than the rear half on the longer ones. The babies just look like white specks slowly working the glass.

Just ordered No Planaria online.

These things are nasty. I finally found something I dislike more than MTS I think, whatever exactly this is.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Looks like a nematode. No planaria probably isn't going to touch them. These things are signs of a healthy tank just like copepods and detritus worms. If you are going to have a shrimp only tank nows the time to get over the fauna that is going to come with it (as in, get over it, you're overreacting Trust me, it took me a while, I tore down a whole tank due to rhabdoceola and a bunch of clueless folks thinking every flatworm was a planaria telling me to nuke it (and I was even more clueless so dumped the whole tank and started over...then discovered what they REALLY were). There are a few things that are truly harmful in a shrimp tank, the rest are signs of a balanced aquarium without fish. Learn the difference, it will save you a ton of grief and worrying over every little bug that shows up
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #4
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Looks like a nematode. No planaria probably isn't going to touch them. These things are signs of a healthy tank just like copepods and detritus worms. If you are going to have a shrimp only tank nows the time to get over the fauna that is going to come with it (as in, get over it, you're overreacting Trust me, it took me a while, I tore down a whole tank due to rhabdoceola and a bunch of clueless folks thinking every flatworm was a planaria telling me to nuke it (and I was even more clueless so dumped the whole tank and started over...then discovered what they REALLY were). There are a few things that are truly harmful in a shrimp tank, the rest are signs of a balanced aquarium without fish. Learn the difference, it will save you a ton of grief and worrying over every little bug that shows up
Thanks. I know...I literally had to tell myself to relax. I for sure over reacted immediately, followed by research which just created more questions.

I want fish asap. Maybe small group of tetras. So nothing kills these things? Other than fish that may occasionally eat a few here and there?

Old 07-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
Julianzh
Planted Tank Obsessed

as long as it's not pinkish, triangle head with two black dot. dont worry.
Julianzh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianzh View Post
as long as it's not pinkish, triangle head with two black dot. dont worry.
The more I research worms, the more I realize there are multiple species of nematodes.

I have seen lots of things online that indicate No Planaria will kill these nematodes.

I will find out first hand...they may be harmless but I want my tank to be nice to observe and lots of worms...harmless or not... aren't my idea of an awesome tank.

If this treatment works I will be happy.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
sewoeno
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

i would do small rasboras, only a couple to eat them up. tetras will gobble baby shrimps.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewoeno View Post
i would do small rasboras, only a couple to eat them up. tetras will gobble baby shrimps.
I really had my heart set on tetras. So they only eat the babies? I have some dense foliage the shrimp hang out in that I'm not sure tetras could squeeze in there.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Rick91981
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
I really had my heart set on tetras. So they only eat the babies? I have some dense foliage the shrimp hang out in that I'm not sure tetras could squeeze in there.

They should be Ok with a few tetras as long as there is plenty of hiding places. I have Cherry shrimp in my community tank and while im sure a few babies get eaten, the population numbers are visibly increasing.
Rick91981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick91981 View Post
They should be Ok with a few tetras as long as there is plenty of hiding places. I have Cherry shrimp in my community tank and while im sure a few babies get eaten, the population numbers are visibly increasing.
Good to know. Got my eye on black tetras. Thx!

Old 07-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Realize you are making a mistake. Tetras WILL eat shrimp, even with enough hiding places your shrimp are going to take a hit and will hide all the time. What's the point if you can't see them? Again, I'm not trying to belittle, I have freaked out about ALL SORTS OF THINGS in my tank. Planaria and hydra are calls for action. Everything else you really need to BREATHE, RELAX, and learn to deal for a moment. Why do I say 'for a moment'? Because after a few months and the tank getting established, most of these critters go away. They are common in new tank set ups and can also come from overfeeding. Every time you nuke the tank you are going to just start over, they will come back. Nematodes and detritus worms eat gunk in your substrate, they are good to have. Seriously, take a moment and BREATH before you nuke the tank and add fish. Cause at that point you might as well just have a dang fishtank and not do shrimp at all. Really trying to save you money and grief here. Promise!
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #12
35ppt
Algae Grower

I'm with you; really don't like worms in the tank.

But using No Planaria is not without risk. I have used it OK, but I have read that some people have lost shrimps or had other issues.
Speaking from experience, the shrimps will hide from the tetras. Personally, I thought it was more enjoyable for everybody (except the tetras, perhaps) to give the shrimps a safe tank all to themselves.
29G: fish...needs a total redo!
~~~
35ppt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2014, 04:56 AM   #13
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Realize you are making a mistake. Tetras WILL eat shrimp, even with enough hiding places your shrimp are going to take a hit and will hide all the time. What's the point if you can't see them? Again, I'm not trying to belittle, I have freaked out about ALL SORTS OF THINGS in my tank. Planaria and hydra are calls for action. Everything else you really need to BREATHE, RELAX, and learn to deal for a moment. Why do I say 'for a moment'? Because after a few months and the tank getting established, most of these critters go away. They are common in new tank set ups and can also come from overfeeding. Every time you nuke the tank you are going to just start over, they will come back. Nematodes and detritus worms eat gunk in your substrate, they are good to have. Seriously, take a moment and BREATH before you nuke the tank and add fish. Cause at that point you might as well just have a dang fishtank and not do shrimp at all. Really trying to save you money and grief here. Promise!

I can see that you're trying to help, I appreciate it.

Couple things...

I never intended to have a shrimp only tank.

This tank was my...is my, first experiment with high tech. I figured starting on a 10 gallon was the best way to learn through trial and error.

Started with diy co2 and crazy high light. A light I ordered for a larger tank that I still haven't used on but will. Anyway, light was putting out some serious par and a total of 4" longer than this 10 gallon so it was hanging off both sides shining down like the sun itself.

Needless to say diy is inconsistent and well you know the story.

Algae showed up. I have seen people pull off diy and nothing was going to stop me from learning the hard way. After all, I started this tank as a stepping stone. I can read all day but I learn most by doing. So I expected to fail but I thought I may avoid some things. Ha, boy was I wrong...I have already killed things from inadvertently causing ammonia spikes, gotten huge algae outbreak, I have done the 1-2 algae punch, I had an outbreak of MTS, I killed a few shrimp because I had removed intake screen on powerhead...

..and my tank is still new! So now I have worms swimming around.

I realize MTS are good and serve a purpose. I still don't like them. That's just personal. Needle nose gars are weird to me, they look crazy and I would never want one. I admittedly don't like *everything* in this hobby but then that would be crazy because there are about a million.

As for these nematodes. These things are so tricky to learn about. There's so many different species of nematodes alone. So researching online is almost impossible unless you have a scientist at your house with a microscope on hand.

I read that shrimp tanks see them mainly or the most because there are no fish to eat them.

THEN, I read that a nematode has 3 life cycles. 1: Larvae 2: stage where they latch onto fish 3: when said fish gets sick, then eaten by larger fish the nematode lives its 3rd and final stage hosting internally on this new fish until the fish bloats and dies.

So depending on what this is, it either is parasitic or it's something less threatening such as just a treat for guppies. I have no idea.

There seems to be so many kinds. I have researched online for 2 days now. I finally found one graphic showing about 5 varieties and none matched the ones I have.

I would rather use no planaria because so far I have learned to trust Seachem and GLA. Since GLA sells it I feel comfortable using that out of all the other options of similar treatments.

And the tetras, if they eat adult shrimp then I won't get them. I took it that they eat babies and if so I am not trying to breed shrimp.

So yes, thanks for the tips, and I am positive you have much more experience than I do...I realize I am in the shrimp section and I hope I don't offend any shrimpers when I say I don't want to facilitate their breeding in this tank. Again though, if tetras eat grown amanos then that I am not okay with. I love rasboras and currently have 7 in my low tech but tetras were a childhood favorite and since I got back into tanks last year I told myself that was first fish I would get. A year later and lots of species, everything but tetras.

Hope that makes some kind of sense as to my thought process.

That was long winded and all on a cell phone ha.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:55 AM   #14
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35ppt View Post
I'm with you; really don't like worms in the tank.

But using No Planaria is not without risk. I have used it OK, but I have read that some people have lost shrimps or had other issues.
Speaking from experience, the shrimps will hide from the tetras. Personally, I thought it was more enjoyable for everybody (except the tetras, perhaps) to give the shrimps a safe tank all to themselves.
Thank you. So if they are going to hide all the time then I won't get tetras. I do want to keep my 7 amanos in there unharmed.

Being that this is my hi-tech learning tank, I would rather get some Otto's to just round out a nice little "algae crew" as I am certain to have more algae.

At the rate I am going I expect to get every algae and tank disease known to man all by the end of this month.

But alas, I believe a 10 gallon is too small for Otto's.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
jeffturneraz
Planted Tank Obsessed

May not help but worth a shot.

Here is a crude drawing with my finger on memo pad app of the general idea of what they are.

The ones on the left are the ones I see free swimming all day.

Front half is bigger pointy seems like arrow shape to the naked eye at least. (Not arrow like planaria head but more like long narrow cylindrical point)

The ones I always see in substrate burrowing like an ant farm I can see between sub and glass...seem to have same head shape as others but shorter with the much longer hair thin tail. Same worms but swimmers I first mentioned seem proportional.. Half head half tail. While burrowers seem to have smaller head section but with very long tail. All in all, including pointy thick head and hair thin tail, the burrowers seem longer than swimmers.

Glass dwellers seem to be babies. I can't distinguish differences in thickness...same size down entire tiny body, just tiny white specks...round; that squirm on glass slowly. I feel certain they are the babies of the same species.

Maybe one day, tommorow or years from now someone will see these crude drawings and be able to narrow down the species. Worth a shot if not for me then someone down the road.

And one last time the best photo I could grab.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.