Lighting for 5gallon Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-05-2014, 03:39 AM   #1
dcharlton75

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for 5gallon Planted Tank

I need help on how to decide what light to get for a Tetra 5 gallon planted tank. The tank is 16" from side to side and 8" from the back to the front. I have dwarf hair grass, lugwigia repens?, dwarf anubias, vesuvias echinodous augustifolia?, crypt, Java fern & wisteria. I am brand new to planted tanks and hope these can all do well in the same tank if properly cared for. But I need help getting the right lighting and how to get started on co2 setup if needed, it's very overwhelming! I only have the flourish in it right now and it's doing "okay" but I'm sure it will start suffering soon if I don't get it done soon. Thanks in advance!
dcharlton75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #2
BuddhaBoy
Algae Grower

Finnex fugray 16inch.

That should do the trick
BuddhaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 PM   #3
desertfish24
Algae Grower

Daylight CFL's if your on a budget. I have 2 13w daylight cfls and one 15w walmart flourescent over a ten gallon and it appears like its working for me.
desertfish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfish24 View Post
Daylight CFL's if your on a budget. I have 2 13w daylight cfls and one 15w walmart flourescent over a ten gallon and it appears like its working for me.
+1 this, though I got my lights (6500k 13w cfls) from home depot, 4 pack cost less than buying 1 'plant growing cfl bulb' from most places.
I have 1 in a desk lamp over a 3g bubble bowl, 2 in a tall lamp over a 2g cookie jar, 2x in a 10g hood like (without the hood) on a 10g, 3x with 3x clamp on work lamp reflectors on a 20g long (1 per every 10") and 1 in a clamp on work lamp reflector over a 7g cube.
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
dcutl002
Algae Grower

I agree with the Finnex suggestion, but if you are on a tight budget you can look at aquatraders for a nice fixture like this one: http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Aquar...sh-p/56322.htm

DUECES!
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
dcharlton75

Thank you all for the suggestions! I actually have a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon that I need to upgrade the lighting on. This gives me some great options! Going to get the Finnex on my 5 gallon and try some DIY on my 10 gallon! Thanks to all!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Katey
Planted Member

Go to Walmart, and buy two of the clip on desk lamps in black! Then, go to the light bulb section, and look for daylight LED screw in bulbs, 60 or 90 watts. I have them over my ten, and the plants do great!
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I would try the finnex on your 10 and diy on your 5 thus way if you want to expand and focus on a bigger tank the 5 gallon is easy to take down you know?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
dcharlton75

More great responses! I really appreciate everyone's input on this ! I will post pics of both tanks as soon as I get them sorted out! I wish I was a talented aquascaper but my tanks don't look anything like I envision! Haahaaa or I get overwhelmed and frustrated and just start plugging stuff where I have room
My 10 gallon is a halfmoon and I hate the height, distortion of the views and the challenge of fitting things things so it looks good from all angles..... and the dang giant Fluval internal filter I invested in...... sigh. Sorry for my rant! I love my fishes but.... *feeling overwhelmed at the moment*
Old 07-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #10
35ppt
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharlton75 View Post
More great responses! I really appreciate everyone's input on this ! I will post pics of both tanks as soon as I get them sorted out! I wish I was a talented aquascaper but my tanks don't look anything like I envision! Haahaaa or I get overwhelmed and frustrated and just start plugging stuff where I have room
My 10 gallon is a halfmoon and I hate the height, distortion of the views and the challenge of fitting things things so it looks good from all angles..... and the dang giant Fluval internal filter I invested in...... sigh. Sorry for my rant! I love my fishes but.... *feeling overwhelmed at the moment*
I am the same way about planting; feels overwhelming at times.

Is a halfmoon the same as a bowfront tank? I think bowfronts look cool but never actually seen one in RL with plants & fish, so I don't know how much distortion there is.
29G: fish...needs a total redo!
~~~
35ppt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
dbw27
Planted Member

I am also looking for lighting for a small tank (5.5 gallons). The problem with the clip on lights is that they are ugly and do not look good in like the kitchen or something. I myself do not have money for the Finnex right now.

I am curious: AquaAurora, you said this, "2x in a 10g hood like (without the hood) on a 10g." How do you have a hood like thing without the hood? I am wondering if this looks better.

Thanks!

dbw
dbw27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 AM   #12
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Check out ZooMed single or double Deep Dome fixture (Amazon, Ozbo, etc.) to use with the cheap CFL bulbs - looks much better then 'brooder" clamp on lights, and not that much more expensive.
Many mounting options.

v3

Tags
5 gallon, lighting, nano, planted