First Ever Planted Tank (Advice Welcome)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First Ever Planted Tank (Advice Welcome)

Greetings TPT and thanks to all of those before me who have gone through countless hours of frustration and trail and error to become the Planted Tank experts that you are today.

I decided to finally get into doing a planted tank and I am doing a simple 10 gallon low tech planted tank. I purchased the following kit aquarium at my LFS
Tetra led 10g guaranteed success aquarium kit Tetra led 10g guaranteed success aquarium kit
. I dont think this is going to be enough light for the plants I have. (Water Wisteria and Java Moss) plus I am waiting on a shipment of plants from an ebay reseller of Amazon Swords, Java Fern, Anubias barteri "Broad Leaf", Jungle Vallisneria, Crypt Wendtii "Green", Limnophila aquatica, Ludwigia "Cuba", Rotala rotundifolia, Ludwigia inclinata, Didiplis diandra.

I used Seachem Florite and mixed it with a 5 lb bag of black aquarium sand for my substrate. I have a Fluval M100 heater and the kit came with a whisper filter.

So I guess my question is "what else do I need?"

I plan to upgrade the whisper filter and I was looking at the Fluval C2, I eventually would like to get better lighting but I plan to stay low light low tech.

Here is what my tank looks like with the Water Wisteria and Java Moss and a Marimo Moss ball that I got when I bought the tank.

Currently I have a couple of Ghost Shrimp and a couple of Glo-Fish.

So what else should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance

P.S. Sorry for the cross post, I think this is the better place for this.
MEandYouPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
adive
Planted Member

I would suggest that you read about Flourite here unless you already know these facts:
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Flourite.html#faq1

It doesnt seem to have macros. So I would suggest observing if plants develop deficiencies and taking care of those but overall seems like you will need (dry/liquid) ferts and root tabs depending on the plants you get (root feeders such as crypts need root tabs). See the above link.

I have seen successful tanks with dirt+flourite (here's one: http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ngel-tank.html ).

Any thoughts on CO2? will you be injecting? Maybe Excel? Or none at all?
adive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice on the root tabs. Any brand suggestions? Also I do not plan to do any Co2 it's just a hassle I don't want to deal with just yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

How can I tell how much "Light" I have for the purposes of my tank. I want to make sure I have enough but not too much.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Just list, as exact as possible, what you have and how far the bulbs are from the top of the gravel.
But to be honest/w you I tend to 98% shy away from bald face lies common in corporate America today such as
that statement "guaranteed success aquarium kit".
Actually I think it would be hard to list any particular info about that light except it's an LED.

Last edited by Raymond S.; 07-03-2014 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: Actually...
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 AM   #6
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Just list, as exact as possible, what you have and how far the bulbs are from the top of the gravel.
But to be honest/w you I tend to 98% shy away from bald face lies common in corporate America today such as
that statement "guaranteed success aquarium kit".
Actually I think it would be hard to list any particular info about that light except it's an LED.
2 Amazon Swords (Echinodorus cordifolius), 8-10 inches long,
1 Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus) - 2-3 inches long,
1 Anubias barteri "Broad Leaf" - 5-7 inches long,
2 Bunches of Java Moss (Vesicularia)
2 Crypt Wendtii "Green"(Cryptocoryne wendtii) - young plants 2-3 inches long,
4 stems of Limnophila aquatica - 7-8 inches long,
4 stems of Ludwigia "Cuba" - 7-8 inches long,
5 stems of Rotala rotundifolia - 7-8 inches long,
5 stems of Ludwigia inclinata - 7-8 inches long,
5 stems of Didiplis diandra - 6-7 inches long
5 stems of Water Wisteria (Hygrophilia Difformis) 2-3 inches long

Substrate is 2 inches deep and I have the stems planted about 1 - 1 1/2 inches down.

As far as the "Guaranteed" part I only listed that as that was the description of the product.

I do have a question though. I did get the new plants in today and I wanted to know if I should plant the specific species together in bunches or can I spread them out and intermingle them?

Last edited by MEandYouPhoto; 07-03-2014 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

I was just mentioning that I already have my doubts about the light you have
specifically because of the Guaranteed part. Polking fun at how they make wildly exaggerated claims. But it was the light that I was asking about your being exact about
because I think it just has three 1W LED bulbs ? I was looking at the light coming down in the tank on the first picture.
The plants don't care where you plant them. Together or in different places apart from the same kind. Usually in a natural aria like a stream they would be in groups of the same kind. But that doesn't really matter if you want different shades of green together for example. The Wendtii, the Java Fern/moss and the Anubias are the only ones that I feel good about saying they should work in that light. These are plants which can grow in very low light. But all of them do grow slowly.
I will give you a link which you can look all of them up and see how much light each takes to grow.
http://www.aqua-fish.net/index.php?c...=not&speed=not
Also on the right hand column clic on "find your plant" to see a different kind of list.
You should try them all in there. Only one is a higher light plant as far as I know for sure. Actually that is quite a bit of plants you started out with.
The stems of some of them are delicate. The Rotala for sure. Try not to beak/mash
the stem when planting. Like don't use it to push the bottom into the substrate.
Try to dig a place with your finger and just place the stem in it and cover that part with the substrate. The Crypt is like that too. Not sure about any other one.
Plants in bunches of 5 or more should be seperated into not more than three stems in a bunch. They won't have room for the roots to spread if more than that is in one bunch.
This is for best results. Not totally necessary. I planted a bunch of Rotala the first time I got some and there were 8 in that bunch and most lived. It just works better for the plant to seperate them to no more than three in a bunch.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #8
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreicate the link and I will pour over it soon. I used this sites (TPT) in house plant library to look at and get a lot of the same info your link gives. So I realize my LED's are gonna be VERY inatiquate. I would love to get my hands on a Marineland double bright (looking for deals on amazon right now) But I am also worried about having "too much" light. I don't want to do Co2 so I want a good light for my 10 gallon that isn't gonna force me to get Co2. (suggestions anyone?)

I did a lot of video watching before diving into this and found tweezers to be a good way to plant so I did that. I also did get the same advice about bunching them together in groups of 3 stems so I did that right at least. (now I just hope it all lives)

I tied all my Java Moss to the driftwood and decided to take out that massive rock (I might put a smaller rock in later. For now I have the tank planted and I am just gonna leave it alone

As far as Fertilizer........ Flourish? Or somthing else? How long after I initially set up and plant the tank should I do my first fertilizing? (This is the area I am in most need of advice)
Old 07-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #9
Absntmind
Algae Grower

You can start ferts right away. Flourish Comprehensive along with root tabs would be fine. Starting out just dose once a week. If you use prime for water changes, make sure to wait at least 24 hours before dosing ferts.
Absntmind is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
burr740
Wannabe Guru

When the other plants arrive, you might want to put that Wisteria along the back somewhere because it can get quite tall.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #11
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
Looking on the LED chart on this link tells you the only one low enough for a 10g is the Marineland DB. However the Satalite+ is dimmable so would also suit your purpose though more expensive. It does have more color options as the Marineland only is white light.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #12
Dave_IOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absntmind View Post
If you use prime for water changes, make sure to wait at least 24 hours before dosing ferts.
Hi, could you explain why you need to wait 24 hours please?
Dave_IOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absntmind View Post
You can start ferts right away. Flourish Comprehensive along with root tabs would be fine. Starting out just dose once a week. If you use prime for water changes, make sure to wait at least 24 hours before dosing ferts.
Thanks for that direct answer to my question. I really appreciate it. I do have a follow up question though. How often should I do a water change after the "initial" set up.

As far as root tabs go.... How do I know which plants to put tabs under and which ones I shouldn't. And how often do you add root tabs?

Last edited by MEandYouPhoto; 07-04-2014 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
MEandYouPhoto
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
Looking on the LED chart on this link tells you the only one low enough for a 10g is the Marineland DB. However the Satalite+ is dimmable so would also suit your purpose though more expensive. It does have more color options as the Marineland only is white light.
Raymond thanks a lot. I appreciate the advice. I am really looking at get getting a light i can place directly on the tank frame and that will be sufficient light for the tank.

I looked at the LED thread for lighting on here and I had an additional question. As far as need for Co2 At what threshold do you need to start looking at Co2 when looking at light intensity? High light..... Medium High Light...... I know it depends somewhat on what plants you want to keep but I also was under the impression it had to do with your lighting as well.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
scx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Get rid of the rock in there. It's way too big and soft looking
scx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.