Tank pictures during setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-08-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am having such a hard time placing driftwood in my 55 gallon tank. (layout is not my forte) Tanks always look so much nicer after the plants are in. Are there any good online pictures of setups where you can see the tank before the plants go in?

I have one large piece 12x12x12 (root like) and two branch type 3 dia x 15 long. Is that too much?
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #2
tanganyikandoug
Algae Grower

dont know of any picture links but maybe you could arrange the
three pieces so they fit together and form on giant fallen log.
or you could place pieces in the corners to give a banked look.

i like to place focal points in the tank a little bit off center to give the tank the illusion of more depth. also areas that arent planted or sparesly planted give this appearance too. when youre placing the wood remember what plants you want in which areas and how they will look against and/or in front of the wood. try to keep the wood visible as it breaks up the landscape.

good luck with your tank. looking forward to some finished photos.
tanganyikandoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:57 AM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

In the photo section there's a lot of pics of tanks as they progress. Unfortunately I can't couldn't tell you which posts have those pis, so poke around in the photo section.

Here's a few pointers.
Stay awy from trying to make the tank look symetrical. If that larger piece is going to be your focal point don't put it in dead center, put it off center. The magic ratio is 1.6 to 1. So if you take that 4 ft tank and put that large piece somewhere between 2 feet and 1 foot from one side you'll be getting warmer. Experiment with it. Avoid symetry. Make it look natural. Thats about all I can tell ya. The rest is up to your own creativity.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:42 AM   #4
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The early set up of my tnak had wood, so you might want to llok at my tank in the photo album section.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote