KH and GH Test Kit, Doc Wellfish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
rhytemaker
Tanks A'lot

PTrader: (23/100%)
Question

KH and GH Test Kit, Doc Wellfish

I have the Doc Wellfish Master Test kit but lost the booklet long ago. I'll be adding CO2 this week and need to test the GH and KH. Does anyone have the instructions for these two tests and how to read the result (drops/color etc). I would really appreciate it.
Also the test kit is a few years old. Should I upgrade or will this work?
Thanks in advance,
rhytemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
fish dork
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think these are the same as the API kits?... If so you just add drops until the colour changes. The number of drops it takes to change the colour is equal to the ppm in the water. I don't however have any idea on the expire dates of these tests.

filstar pimp #146 Dual-ing XP3's
fish dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish dork View Post
I think these are the same as the API kits?... If so you just add drops until the colour changes. The number of drops it takes to change the colour is equal to the ppm in the water. I don't however have any idea on the expire dates of these tests.
I'm pretty sure the number of drops indicates the hardness in German degrees (which is about 17.8 ppm per degree).

I've found that GH test kits usually go bad after about 3 years; my kH test kit from 2001 still works fine

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
fish dork
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I'm pretty sure the number of drops indicates the hardness in German degrees (which is about 17.8 ppm per degree).

I've found that GH test kits usually go bad after about 3 years; my kH test kit from 2001 still works fine

DOh! Yeah, you're right! I had just fallen out of bed, that was a terrible mistake on my part. Thank you for the correction

filstar pimp #146 Dual-ing XP3's
fish dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
rhytemaker
Tanks A'lot

Default KH test results

So as a fish only keeper I never needed to do a KH test so I am not sure what I am looking for.

KH results
1 drop turned light blue
2 drops darker blue.
3 drops solid blue.

So how do I interpret this? 1 drop turned it blue so do I assume my KH is 17.8ppm? Is that good or bad?

Last edited by rhytemaker; 06-02-2008 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: stupidity
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
Fishytales12345
Algae Grower

Additional info about test chemicals.
This was from a previous post on the low-tech forum:

I bought a KH and GH API test set in January 2008 at the only non-chain LFS of any size in the area. There seemed to be a lot of customers all the time. When I got home and tried testing the water, I could not get any readings after a whole bunch of drops being added. I tried tap water and got the same results. I contacted API via e-mail and received a quick reply from them that was most informative. They told me how to read the code on the bottles, like 56A0107 means product 56A and bottled in January 2007. When I looked at the test bottles, they were of the year 2000 vintage, eight years old. The store took them back without question.

So if some of your tests are not too accurate, you may want to at least check the product date before reaching a final decision. I would ecpect that other chemical manufacturers use a marking system as well. You may want to open the package while you are still at the store if you are purchasing chemicals.

The following was received from API:

"Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH (low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not use or trust these kits after they have expired."

The last sentence was their statement.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
rhytemaker
Tanks A'lot

Thanks, I should have known better. I prob just overdosed my tank because I was using a nitrate test thats 5 years old and showed 0ppm.