Flourite Black Sand or Flourite Black?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
UF_gator
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Flourite Black Sand or Flourite Black?

I know this might be an old topic, but I've been browsing through the forum and haven't gotten a real answer yet.

What is the main difference between Flourite Black Sand and Flourite Black?

I'm just beginning to get into this hobby, so my knowledge is limited. I'm also going for the Iwagumi style, so I'm going to try to have a covered ground with some kinda moss. So that might changed my selection of substrate. Thanks!
UF_gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Ozymandias
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

black sand is just that sand whille black is gravel like (thay esentally are the same thing just in different grades). personally if i was going to and Iwagumi tank i would use the black sand because i imagine it would make planting a whole lot easier
Old 05-30-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
Oreo
Planted Member

I just got 5 bags of the Flourite black sand today in the mail.

The regular flourite black is a more coarse grind of the same material. The sand is a very fine sand- almost like beach sand, but not as uniform in consistency.

I'll say one thing, you DEFINITELY want to rinse this stuff out first. I put about half a cup of the flourite black sand in a small bowl & added tap water = POOF! Instant cloudy water. VERY cloudy water.
Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
I just got 5 bags of the Flourite black sand today in the mail.

The regular flourite black is a more coarse grind of the same material. The sand is a very fine sand- almost like beach sand, but not as uniform in consistency.

I'll say one thing, you DEFINITELY want to rinse this stuff out first. I put about half a cup of the flourite black sand in a small bowl & added tap water = POOF! Instant cloudy water. VERY cloudy water.
I agree... rinse the sand well. it's hard to tell what's sand and what's dust with the flourite sand... lol
MedRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Oreo
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedRed View Post
it's hard to tell what's sand and what's dust with the flourite sand... lol
I think that describes it perfectly.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

i just bought 6 bags of flourite black and i gotta say i LOVE it! u do have to rinse it a few times first but its a LOT easier to rinse then the old flourites it took me only a few rinse to clean it.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
UF_gator
Algae Grower

6 bags?! geeze how many gallons do you have? i got the flourite black, but i'm really thinking of getting the sand just because the texture looks better?
UF_gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Oreo
Planted Member

I bought 5 bags for a 110gal (48"x18"x30")
Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I used I think about 3 bags of the Fl. black plus 5 bags of the black sand, plus 50lb of black Colorquartz in my 90gal. Substrate is between 3-5" deep. The black was fairly easy to rinse, the sand took a little more rinsing (maybe 3x), but the Colorquartz was a BEAR to rinse! LOL If I had it to do over I would have just used the black, not the black sand.

Here's pics of the regular Fluorite black:

Vs. the black sand:

HTH?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #10
Ryzilla
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)

I recently started washing black color quartz mixed with flourite black. Do do another members comments on how fine the black sand is I only used the color quartz mixed with regular flourite black. upon looking at it under water bother have almost identical color and they both look great mixed together. I am very happy about my decision to mix the two.

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
Ryzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:32 AM   #11
Choco
Planted Member

I have used both
You can see the photos here
sand> http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...fied-wood.html
regular> http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...k-journal.html

black sand has a consistency very similar to beach sand...feel almost like mud in your hand when wet
flourite black feel kinda like activated carbon

I found the black sand has a more uniform black color to it than regular (which is still not bad)

For planting, I think the regular is better because the sand tend to "compact", and it may inhibit root growth.
Appearance is gonna be subjective, I am kinda indifferent between the two
but one thing that is definitely better with regular is that, the sand tend to get sucked up when you vacuum the bottom.
Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 AM   #12
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

My LFS ran out of regular Flourite once. I decided to mimic Eco Complete's graduated substrate size. I used Red Flourite, Black Flourite, and Black Flourite sand. Rinsing it was definitely a pain for me. I had a lot of dust with the sand. It all worked out in the end... Even with mixing everything... the sand did migrate to the bottom, then the regular black, then the red flourite. looks good. The timer just put the lights out on the tank. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #13
MedRed
Wannabe Guru

Here's a pic... you can see that in two months the larger red flourite sits at the top... the black flourite is below... most of the black sand is below the lip. Pardon the algae, i'll be scraping tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Buc_Nasty
Algae Grower

Does the flourite black gravel trap a lot of debris? It seems smaller grain that standard gravel.

I ask b/c I have a messy oscar in a 90G with an eheim 2262. Currently have the very light and fluffy tahitian moon sand and it looks great but hte filter blows it around, drifts, then creates debris accumulation issues.

I'm wondering if the flourite black gravel will stay put and not be pushed around by flow, but also allow the flow to blow the debris across it and into the filter intake.
Buc_Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote