Ch3f's All Things Shrimps **updated 08/17** - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetao View Post
Ouch!

Man absolutely no love for Nikons...
I'm not kidding man... I don't know how to use them. Menu system is all wack on Nikons.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #17
genetao
Planted Member

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
I'm not kidding man... I don't know how to use them. Menu system is all wack on Nikons.
LOL! We all know you've got some ninja secrets when it comes to photography.

Besides, it's not the car; it's the driver
genetao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 AM   #18
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Great setup and shrimps Congrats!!!!!

About Nikon.
If you have DX body 40mm macro or 60mm macro . For FX 60mm.
2 flashes 6-7feet from the tank one 3-4 feet left one 3 feet right . So if you are upfront of the tank light should be behind you and further left and right. They should be little bit higher than tank top edge feet or so. Camera sinc speed 1/250-300.Flash speed the same.
ISO 500-800 depend of the camera and noise.EV+1 to +2.5 depend how bright you like to have your shrimps. High iso and EV is to make shrimps to pop over background.
Do DIY lens hood from black paper and insert it over the lens. The carton hood should reach the front tank glass or to be no further than 1-2" from it. Purpose is to stop Flash reflection from the glass going in to the lens. 5.6-11F should do the job. It depends of your DOF requirements. Post processing with Adobe Light Room will do the rest.
LMK if you need further info. You can find some of my pics in the forum. Not that great like Nick-Canon combo thought
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 AM   #19
Rock Island
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
I have no secrets. It's all in the camera bro. I can't help you with Nikon lol.
This would have offended me about ten years ago, but since then I've seen the light. I'll take a Canon any day.

Don't get me wrong, I still have all my old Nikon film cameras.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #20
ch3fb0yrdee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post

I was thinking more or less along the lines of the sittings I think the two should be pretty comparable in terms of picture quality. Tried to convince the gf to allow me to use our joint to buy a d7100 but didn't work out. Hahaha. She wants a GoPro....

Btw what's that thingamegig you told me about a whole ago. You mount a flash on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
Great setup and shrimps Congrats!!!!!

About Nikon.

If you have DX body 40mm macro or 60mm macro . For FX 60mm.

2 flashes 6-7feet from the tank one 3-4 feet left one 3 feet right . So if you are upfront of the tank light should be behind you and further left and right. They should be little bit higher than tank top edge feet or so. Camera sinc speed 1/250-300.Flash speed the same.

ISO 500-800 depend of the camera and noise.EV+1 to +2.5 depend how bright you like to have your shrimps. High iso and EV is to make shrimps to pop over background.

Do DIY lens hood from black paper and insert it over the lens. The carton hood should reach the front tank glass or to be no further than 1-2" from it. Purpose is to stop Flash reflection from the glass going in to the lens. 5.6-11F should do the job. It depends of your DOF requirements. Post processing with Adobe Light Room will do the rest.

LMK if you need further info. You can find some of my pics in the forum. Not that great like Nick-Canon combo thought

Plamski, you're the best!!! Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll write this down. From personal experience, do you recommend the 60mm, 80mm or 105mm micro? There's a huge price difference between the 80mm and 105mm. Wondering if the bang is worth the buck.
ch3fb0yrdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #21
plamski
Wannabe Guru

105 is the best but too expensive + you have to stay further so more reflection light will go to the lens which is bad. If you have D700, D800 or D610 then you may go with it but for D7000 or D7100 the new 60mm is perfect.
For macro 1:1 and close up portraits Canon is better because it’s JPG processing engine and compress codec is way clear than Nikon. It is the same with camcorders. Canon has much sharper image than Sony and Panasonic. But....when we are talking about build quality and look, lens quality and software futures Canon is way back. Now I have Canon T3I + 60mm macro for shrimps and flowers and 3x high end Nikon bodies + 20ish lens for rest of the photography.
Cheap flashes $50-80 from amazon with SU4 features will do the job nicely.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:59 AM   #22
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I tend to put the off camera flash much closer, and use ettl mode. I keep it on a tripod and position to light subject at about 45 degree angle if possible. I use flash compensation and manual mode to balance light sources. I always use f11 for larger depth of field and crisp focus, and I use lens extension tubes on a 100 mm macro to fill the frame with the subject.

My crop frame canon sensor is terrible with noise, you Nikon guys have better performance there, so I keep my ISO low, but you can get away with more.

Great tanks!

Whiskey
Old 06-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #23
plamski
Wannabe Guru

If you put flash further it will give more light. Try 5-6 feet from the tank. You don't need to fill whole image with the subject. Probably 1/3 is the max.Big magnification and large size object make every mistake more visible. Look at Speedie photos. I think that he crops heavily. Ones he told that he shots pretty far from the tank.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 AM   #24
ch3fb0yrdee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
105 is the best but too expensive + you have to stay further so more reflection light will go to the lens which is bad. If you have D700, D800 or D610 then you may go with it but for D7000 or D7100 the new 60mm is perfect.
For macro 1:1 and close up portraits Canon is better because itís JPG processing engine and compress codec is way clear than Nikon. It is the same with camcorders. Canon has much sharper image than Sony and Panasonic. But....when we are talking about build quality and look, lens quality and software futures Canon is way back. Now I have Canon T3I + 60mm macro for shrimps and flowers and 3x high end Nikon bodies + 20ish lens for rest of the photography.
Cheap flashes $50-80 from amazon with SU4 features will do the job nicely.
Thank you for the great advice. I've also read online about a long zooming micro lens isn't always a benefits for micro shots as it allows too much light into the lens. Something along those lines.. Your advice is greatly appreciated. It's good to know it's possible to do great pictures with a D7100 and a 60mm Micro vs 105mm Micro. I think if I set my goals to the 60mm Micro, it will be more easily attainable by end of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
I tend to put the off camera flash much closer, and use ettl mode. I keep it on a tripod and position to light subject at about 45 degree angle if possible. I use flash compensation and manual mode to balance light sources. I always use f11 for larger depth of field and crisp focus, and I use lens extension tubes on a 100 mm macro to fill the frame with the subject.

My crop frame canon sensor is terrible with noise, you Nikon guys have better performance there, so I keep my ISO low, but you can get away with more.

Great tanks!

Whiskey
What's the name of the off camera flash? Speedie told me a while back but I cannot remember it now... my memory is soo bad...
Old 06-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #25
Whiskey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3fb0yrdee View Post
What's the name of the off camera flash? Speedie told me a while back but I cannot remember it now... my memory is soo bad...
The one I have is an EX 580 but it is made by Canon, so I don't think it will work for you.

I'd recommend something that does TTL, they are more expensive than the ones that don't, but far more useful.

Whiskey
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 PM   #26
jimko
Puzzled...

PTrader: (369/100%)

Set your aperature higher, the back ground items will look less grainy.

I get scared when the shrimps start climbing. I always find them on the floor around the tank. It's amazing that they can climb up glass when water is running along the side. I think it's a survival instinct to go to area where the water is fresher.

Nice Shrimps!!! Still to scared to get taiwan bees. Don't know why I feel they aren't as stable because of the whole mischiling deal, even though there have been so many varieties coming out.

Nick is right...

CANON'S RULE!!!

Bred and grown in the USA... Mostly! Proud member of SFBAAPS!
jimko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #27
ch3fb0yrdee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimko View Post
Set your aperature higher, the back ground items will look less grainy.

I get scared when the shrimps start climbing. I always find them on the floor around the tank. It's amazing that they can climb up glass when water is running along the side. I think it's a survival instinct to go to area where the water is fresher.

Nice Shrimps!!! Still to scared to get taiwan bees. Don't know why I feel they aren't as stable because of the whole mischiling deal, even though there have been so many varieties coming out.

Nick is right...

CANON'S RULE!!!

I'll try the aperture recommendation when I actually buy a dslr and macro lens. Currently using iPhone for pictures. After finding out that a 60mm micro lens from nikon would still work and work really well with the d7100 it's really out things into more affordable ranges. The d7100 is around 1k for body (less if I bid on eBay) and the 60mm micro is around 400ish vs the 105mm which is around 800-1k, I'm slowly opening up to just pulling the trigger sooner vs the end of year plan.

It's pretty crazy when I first observed the climbing behavior, but after doing weekly waterchanges for months and experiencing them doing every single time, I'm a bit more accustomed to it now. As long as there's moisture on the surface, they'll climb... There climbers man... I've seen them break the surface tense with oncoming outflow pushing up. It's hard to stop these guys.

Genetically speaking, I feel like Taiwan Bee are stronger now than ever. I remember keeping Taiwan Bee in the past (unsuccessfully) and how they were so weak, they just hide away from strong currents. Not so today. Taiwan Bee today have been breed and mixed with other genes and have since become a lot stronger and more durable.

I agree with you insight that it could be a survival thing to explore fresher outlets of water. They seem to always gather around the corners where I feed new clean water back into the tank during my WC.

Don't be scare to try them out jimmy! Taiwan Bee = PRL = CRS in terms of durability.

Next goal: Pintos
Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 AM   #28
mightymizz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What is PRL mean in the shrimp keeping world?

Great shrimp too! Just learning about all this and currently have 4 RCS, 1 with eggs!
mightymizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:07 AM   #29
evodrgn
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Pure Line Shrimp ^^ From what I understand they are CRS that have been bred to not have golden offsprings and are bred to have the whites and red parts of their bodies all filled in rather than having clear spots in them like CRS. Maybe someone else more experience in explanation can tell you more details about it but I have both PRL and CRS and the PRL are more vivid color and all filled with color whereas the CRS have clear spots here and there
evodrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 AM   #30
ch3fb0yrdee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodrgn View Post
Pure Line Shrimp ^^ From what I understand they are CRS that have been bred to not have golden offsprings and are bred to have the whites and red parts of their bodies all filled in rather than having clear spots in them like CRS. Maybe someone else more experience in explanation can tell you more details about it but I have both PRL and CRS and the PRL are more vivid color and all filled with color whereas the CRS have clear spots here and there
You pretty much nailed it on the head. Nothing else to really explain. Good job!