Jared's Underwater Jungle - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #31
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Still having the nagging problem of BGA, H. difformis has grown a bit, but being slowed by the BGA. I've let the water level drop a little so that more aeration will control it until I can get some hornwort in there. I can't seem to take consistent pics with this camera... we might be getting a new one soon!

the L. brasiliensis is filling in very slowly because of the slight BGA infestation yet.

I'm hoping that the problem goes away soon, I have to wait for my hornwort to grow a bit more from another tank and finally my BGA should be gone! After that, I'm planning on removing the crypt from behind left of the sword and planting some Crypt retrospiralis when they start multiplying.
frogmanjared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #32
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the BGA is hanging around, keeping my micro sword from carpeting. The only residents are an otto and cherry shrimp, the rest have moved on to other tanks.

The plants have slowed growth dramatically, I trimmed the wisteria over a month ago, and hasn't but put out 2 suckers and no vertical growth. What is the problem? I just started diy co2 today in hopes that will encourage growth. I might have to break down and buy 'myacin to finish off the bga. Is 30w of cfl enough? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #33
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

The tank is looking better. However, I don't understand your growth problems. I have 10 watt spiral bulbs x2, so 10 less watts than you, no real doesing at all unless I see it needs it, etc. Hopefully the co2 will do the trick, it worked wonders on my 29 gallon even DIY and low light when I started.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #34
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Pearling! And some additions

I've got pearls everywhere! The sword has started a new leaf so signs are encouraging, also seen a slight bit of growth on the wisteria. The BGA is dying off, probably not completely yet, but we'll see.

Today I tore down my 10 gal cheapo project because the tank had a leak. I added some more crypt spiralis, and a L. repens x arcuata (had to bleach dip this, hopefully it will survive?). If I remember i'll update pics with the new stuff (not very noticeable) so there will be a comparison in a few weeks time.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #35
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yay for pics!... bubbbles!

Ludwigia repens x arcuata

4 new C. spiralis

Berried RCS

showing her eggs

My favorite racing stripe RCS, kept her just because it's soo cool!

FTS
Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #36
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Oh boy... what did I do!

I've been going through a rough patch in my life lately and had been neglecting weekly fish tank duties, finally starting to get out of it and figured to get going on my fish tanks again to help my mood. I had to trim all the leaves off the java fern, and trim back most of the wisteria because they were basically skeletonized. I literally ripped out a giant fist-full of subwassertang from my 5 gal hex (didn't make a dent!) and threw it in the corner where the wisteria was. The funny thing is that the sword looks better, and the C. spiralis had sent out 2 runners, but every other plant has seemed to lost it's luster. Tomorrow I'm going to thin out any snails that I see to make sure they didn't cause the damage to my java stick. The RCS, probably about 8-10, hadn't grown (even before the hatchets), so I put new sponge in the filter uptake tube. I'm setting up CO2 as I'm typing, so hopefully in a month or two I'll see drastic changes... here's to hope!

Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know the CO2 is helping... the damaged plants are bubbling, and there is a light dusting of diatoms. Time to head over to petco this week and hope they have some ottos!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #38
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Let's start this thing and keep up with it!

For those of you that followed my thread about losing all hope of having a decent planted tank... I'm going to be mixing a few things up with this tank within the next couple weeks/months, and these are the before pics.

I'll probably just toss out the java fern, maybe keep a few pieces of rhizome to add to my 1.5 plant grow-out tank. Soon I'll be getting some sort of live-bearer to breed for turtle snacks. I'm going to wait to start up DIY CO2 until I get some fish since the nutrients are the limiting factor in plant growth, not light or carbon at this point in time.

The sword looks great! It sent out a flower stalk, that I've been keeping underwater via suction cups to make sure I get as many plantlets as I can. I haven't been trimming it because I'm not sure if it needs to suck up the nutrients from the dying leaves to produce more plantlets... anyone know about this?

Close-up of the plantlets... at least I think its 2!

The 1.5 (15w) with L. brasiliensis and E. tenellus, and if it survived somehow a corkscrew val that staightened out... I can't tell a difference in the leaf structure, so I'm sure it had died. Soon to come, possible some java fern.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #39
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Haha, that's pretty clever using the suction cups, have you thought about adding some larger pieces of wood or rock?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #40
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Rescape done on 7/27

The cloudiness has gone away, so It's time to see what the damage is! Replanting the crypts was very tedious as I was pulling out sword roots anywhere I pulled some out, put some in.

The BGA didn't try and make a come-back this past week, so the black construction paper along the substrate might be helping.

I would love to put some wood/rock in the tank, but can never find a good size for the tank. I need to find some other background plant, and try to trim the sword so that it puts out smaller leaves like it did a while back so I can also have a plant behind it.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #41
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I started up CO2 yesterday, also went out and got some red platys. Next month I'll be getting some dry ferts, once I figure out what I'm doing. In the last week+ the BGA has shown no signs of taking over, just a few pea sized patches here and there, so maybe once I get my ferts worked out I'll be able to have somewhat of a foreground!
Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #42
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default I talked too soon...

Well, I opened my yap to early again! It seems that the BGA either 1. hears me say that it's not a problem anymore or 2. makes a come back when I add iron, or 3. comes back a few weeks after I disturb the substrate. It's really not all that bad, but once again its going to stop my L. brasiliensis and subwassertang from filling out. Right now GLA is is out of csm+b, so I have to wait to get my ferts.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:29 AM   #43
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got some Egeria densa today, leaving from the in-laws for the weekend. Just put it in the tank 3 hours ago, I think I'm going to stop dosing Excel because I'm worried it will melt. Also added a second HOB to help with flow and remove more detritus from the bottom. Also used just the small tubing part of a gravel-vac to remove the BGA... wish I would have tried that earlier, much easier, and surprisingly fun do! I'll be getting some Rotala rotundifolia at the end of the month from my brother-in-law when he does a major trim/clean before he leaves for college! I'll post pics tomorrow when the water has cleared up.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #44
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also fiddled around with the lighting, its now 1.5 inches above the tank so any plants near the surface will get the full effect. I will say that I don't like the light blinding me as I'm looking at it, so now the project is to find something to cover up the gap in front. I put in the second filter yesterday, and now I don't have to worry about my CO2 going straight to the surface! The really tiny bubbles get sucked up by the intake, and the others get blown around by the outlet. I also took some leaves off the sword, so it doesn't look the best at the moment. At the end of the month I'll also be removing the baby swords, so the suction cups can finally go away! Now all I have to do is wait to order some ferts(hopefully later this week), and the new plants at the end of the month!

When, I should say if the E. tenellus takes off after I get the ferts going and the BGA gone, I'll probably get rid of the parent sword to get a more open look to make the tank look better. Probably have a centerpiece consisting of a rock and anubas nana. That is also dependent on if I can get the Egeria and Rotala(coming at the end of the month) to do well.

Should I cut the flower stalk once I take off the plantlets, since there's only 1 growing node, it won't produce any more... or will it?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:10 AM   #45
frogmanjared
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My E. densa is growing like a weed!!! Maybe I'll actually be able to grow some stems with success in this tank! Hopefully either the E. tenellus or E. brasiliensis will carpet when I get my ferts soon(ordering next week!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.