Amano Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-06-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi guys, I've been having some problems with my amano shrimp lately. I have a glass canopy over the whole tank, the only opening I have is for my filter, today when I got home, I found 2 amano shrimp dry on the floor... and last friday I found a dead amano, sitting next to my tank, dry...I don't know how these guys escaped, what else could I do to keep them in?
Have you ever had amano shrimp escape your tank?

tank specs:
standard 10 gallon tank
1 bag eco-complete gravel
pH: 7
ammonia and nitrites: 0
nitrates: 5

Thanks
-Jumbo
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 02:21 AM   #2
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

Oh yea forgot, they're the only fish in the 10 gallon tank right now, I had 5 of them, now only 2...
Old 04-06-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
csfish
Algae Grower

Hi Jumbo,
I have a mix of amano, ghost and other shrimp and haven't had any escape like yours. On the other hand, I've had ghost shrimp hitch rides on plants, driftwood, and rocks that I've taken out of tanks while I'm re-scaping. I usually find them in time on the kitchen table or the floor when I clean up, but a few, unfortunatley, have escaped unnoticed- I'll find a shrimp dust-ball on the floor nearby a few days later.
A few things might be useful to know about your tank... What's the temperature of your water? Is your water soft or hard? Do you use any plant fertilizers that contain copper or iron or have you used any medications in this tank previously that might affect shrimp? Is there enough algae in your tank or do you have to supplement their diet? Since nothing's preying on your shrimp, I can't think of much else that would make yours walk....
csfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
hipchack
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to hipchack

hey jumbo,
sorry to hear about your amano. they can be some exspensive little buggers. To prevent more shrimp from jumping out though you could lower your water level to where the shrimp can't really reach the glass. I do not know how feasible this idea is with your setup. You can also use ceram wrap to seal up any leftover holes.

But to figure out why the shrimp are jumping in the first place, other than the questions previously asked, how old is your tank? The shrimp might feel uncomfortable with a new tank too. Although, my only experience is that they love planted tanks as compared to the lfs.

david
hipchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Jumbo,

Don't know what to tell ya. My specs are similar to yours (although my tank is larger), and none of my shrimp make a run for the border. They have many potential escape places.....just don't use em. Given that it is not your water conditions that are making them want to leave, all I can think of is that your tank doesn't feel safe to them. Is it heavily planted?

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Injecting CO2? they don't like it too high.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 AM   #7
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

ok, I came home today and my last 2 shrimp are still in there. phew, no more suicides yet.

My 10 gallon tank is pretty planted, I have Java ferns, java moss, Ludwigia repens, some Rotala indica, anubias nana, water sprite, and hairgrass, which is slowly growing. I guess thats lot of plants.kH and gH are both at 5, my temp set at 75 F. What test kits do I need? I have a Freshwater Master test Kit right now, and I got a nitrate test kit, from the same company. I don't add any fertilizers, yet cause I dont know what other test kits I need.Tank is about 1 month old, got my shrimp on march 27. these amano shrimp...

Hmm.. :?
Old 04-07-2004, 04:27 AM   #8
csfish
Algae Grower

Hi Jumbo,
Since your tank is relatively new, planted with little nitrates and not much bioload, you probably don't have much algae in there either.... Are you feeding your shrimp anything? Maybe an algae wafer now and then will keep your shrimp around and alive. You could probably start adding some fish- that will help feed your plants with their waste products and also help create "some" algae for your shrimp to chow on.
csfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:02 PM   #9
Walter W

To prevent the shrimp from getting out keep the water level a few inches away from the top of the aquarium. I have done this and haven't lost one for five months.
Walter W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 02:23 AM   #10
Jumbotummy
Algae Grower

OK I'm guessing it probably is because I don't have algae in the tank.
tomrrow to the fish store I go!