Adding Eco complete to tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Adding Eco complete to tank

I need to add an additional inch of eco complete to my tank. What is the best way to do this?
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There are 2 ways.
1) Take most things out, including the water and add the EC. Put a plate or plastic bag over the substrate and refill slowly so the water runs over the plate and seeps into the soil.
The whole project could be done at one time.

2) Use a piece of pipe perhaps 1" or a bit larger and longer than the depth of the water. Aim the pipe where you want to EC to land, touching the substrate, and put the EC in at the top of the pipe. Gently lift the pipe so the EC falls out without getting too high up in the water. Stop when the water gets a bit cloudy. It might take several days to finish the job.
If the material is really clean, then you could also try this:
Use a small container that will get in between the plants pretty easily (Maybe a yogurt container) and add the EC with that. Make sure it is wet, gently guide it down as close to the bottom as you can, then pour it out slowly. If the new substrate has any tendency to cloud the water this is not a good way to do it, though.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
Islandgaliam
Algae Grower

Thanks Diana. I used a 1 cup plastic measuring cup, and very slowly lowered it to the bottom, and dumped it slowly. Very little mess
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:34 AM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

a bit late, but something that's worked well for me adding flourite to an established tank is to put a bunch in a water/soda bottle, add water, put it in the tank and invert it. It sorta tumbles/rains/sprinkles out, causing it to scatter over a small area slowly, so you won't unintentionally bury anything.

Also really great for keeping cloudiness out of the tank (it all remains in the bottle.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Cylindric
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

I've used the bottle method to add a sand top-layer too - it works a treat! As the substrate tumbles out, water is drawn in to replace it, taking all the cloudy with it.