Anyone able to ID this algae?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 04-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #1
Jukax

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Jukax

Hi folks, I normally hang out at predatoryfish.net but a friend told me that you people would be the ones to ask about a problem I've been having:

I've been getting some massive, weird algae growth in the last month or so, and it's really starting to take over my tank. It's a dark green, almost grayish-black colour, and it's quite difficult to remove. It's mainly on the two amazon swords I have in the tank, but it's also beginning to attach on to my rocks and my filter intake / output and heater. I had a hair algae problem a few months ago but got it under control by adding a few siamese algae eaters and putting the lights on a timer. They won't touch this new stuff. The tank is a 50g, kept at about 78 degrees, ph 7.8, filtered by a Fluval 304 and an AC 150 for some extra oxygenation. I do 20% water changes twice a week. I have 80W of light on the tank and keep the lights on for 8 hours a day.

You can see pictures of it by following this link:

http://www.predatoryfish.net/ibforum...howtopic=56742
2x 4" Siamese algae eater
Jukax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #2
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Black brush algae...
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 11:31 PM   #3
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gah! My tank used to look like that. It's definitely bba (black brush algae). It's a tough one to beat, but it can be done...

Check out this and this and this and good luck. Keep us posted.

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

BBA for sure, surprised the siamensis are not eating it. They love this stuff. In my experience this is caused from two things, High phosphates and PH readings above 7. Check your phosphates, get this down and this stuff will slowly die.

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:14 AM   #5
Jukax

Send a message via MSN to Jukax

Thanks for all the advice!

I'd like to clear up a mistake I made in my first post - there's actually 120W of light on the tank, not 80.

I think I've discovered my first problem : the SAE's I bought are actually Siamese Flying Foxes. Apparently they're mislabelled very often; and only "true" Siamese algae eaters will consume the black brush algae. I've contacted every LFS within 3 hours of me but none have any true SAE's in stock.

So far I've removed the heavily infested leaves from the tank altogether and have done two rather thorough wire-brush scrapings of all the rock and aquarium equipment in the tank. Two hefty gravel vacuumings were done as well to try to clear up all the loose BBA floating around. It looks quite a bit better now, but I'm sure it will come back soon enough - all I've done so far is cosmetic work.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a phosphate test kit to see what's going on. As for pH, I'm sort of stuck keeping it in the high 7 range, since it's an African tank. Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are all 0; kH is 11.

Does anyone know why I would be having this problem? The tank is really quite sparsely planted; as it's an African tank it's mostly decorated with rocks and I've only got 3 plants in the whole tank.
2x 4" Siamese algae eater
Jukax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:45 AM   #6
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukax
I think I've discovered my first problem : the SAE's I bought are actually Siamese Flying Foxes.
Those are two names for the same fish, Crossocheilus siamensis. Let's use scientific names to avoid confusion. What species do you actually have? A Garra species? The flying fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus? Something else?
2la is offline   Reply With Quote