Marimoball's ADA 120p - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 AM   #136
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I had a BB algae breakout b/c I did not realize the Co2 was out for three days.
A 5 day blackout got rid of most of it, but left the glosso really high. Now I have the MH pendants with 8k bulbs and the inline heater soon the glass lily pipes and inline Co2 reactor will be installed. I will do another 3 day blackout.Photo period is 5 hrs but will start back up with a 3hr period
OK some pics.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM   #137
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

I just read through your whole thread and what a build! Your patience and skill is amazing. I am also humbled by the fact that you chose to pay for stuff with cash and not go in debt with the credit card.
I love the rockwork and your placement of it. I had glosso in my tank for a while but did not like it. This is my suggestion for plants. I would rip out the glosso and E.T micro and I would replace the front with UG and the back with Blyxa Japonica. UG is somewhat harder and more expensive, but with what you spent on the tank and rock and equipment, why skimp on the plants. That layout deserves some nice looking plants and glosso in my opinion dosen't fit. The blyxa would look very nice in the back around those rocks. Here is a pic of the blyxa in my tank and I would love those rocks to surround it with

Thx for the inspiration of your work and I will keep my eye on this thread!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #138
thief
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Wow Mb,

This tank is pretty awesome. But I really think you need to try and trim the glosso way down and figure out how to keep it nice and low. Also I really like how the new MH presents better coloring and the shadows on the rock bring out the beauty of it all. I think you just need to work on the plant part and in a few months you will have yourself a dream tank!
thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #139
garuf
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf

They're so tall because of the short photo-period.
garuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #140
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the glosso is tall b/c of the 5 day blackout it was growing low with pc lights but too slow. The glosso also looks kinda yellow b/c I deprived it of ADA ferts . Ug would be my first choice. I have tried UG before but it all died fast even with aquasoil high light ADA ferts and CO2. I have a lot of foreground area at $15 a square inch I won't take the risk I may add a patch in the front center and see how it grows and spreads . Then start to remove the glosso. blyxa is nice but I think it has the same color of glosso and UG .I know hairgrass has been done a million times but I like the color contrast. I may end up using HC .Yes all was bought with cash maybe that's why im taking so long. Now I need to purchase some qiuck disconnects for the lily pipes in order to clean them safely, but those are pricey also. thanks for the compliments and for looking at my thread.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #141
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

With about 2 days of 8hr photo period he algae came back lowered down to 4 hrs but algae has got a start already. Did a large trim last night along with a 50% water change. Now I will do a 3 day black out. I hope to get some hairgrass soon to replace the E. Tenellus Micro cuz i know it spreads fast like glosso.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:16 AM   #142
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (79/100%)

I personally love hairgrass. It's a beautiful plant
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM   #143
xcooperx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to xcooperx

looking good victor! you finally got the light. My ADA is still sitting here with 2 spiders housing it, lol.

P.S im looking for job right now, just wondering if your hospital are looking for nurses. you can have a referal fee, lol PM me incase
xcooperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM   #144
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the compliment. Cooper good to hear from you. Im gonna put you on the spot and say that you have had your 90P siting on the floor for over 3 years. Shame on you get that tank set up you have everything including the ADA garden stand and the grand solar. Plus Ill help you whenever

Old 11-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #145
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

So what's the deal? How's the tank?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #146
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still battling green fuzzy algae. Photoperiod is 5 hours a day, daily 30ml doses of excell and 50% water changes every 3-5 days.I may raise the lights a bit What do you think? Water still turns yellow after a couple of days. Remember I have about 7 nine liter bags of aquasoil. And today i added 5 more Amano shrimp. I did add hairgrass to the background. I was thinking of getting some mollies because I heard they eat hair algae then returning them to the LFS. I also notice today that the glosso that I replanted back in the soil is speading but the one that is tall is not spreading. Since the no one has glosso around here I am growing some emerced outside on my deck with aquasoil I have about one square foot now. I think I will plant it in the tank. I may get HC or UG and plant it in the center and see how it does, if it spreads I will gradually remove the glosso. I ordered some quick disconects so I can install the liliy pipes and some ebay moon light may be added to the pendants. I was thinkinking that addidng an inline reactor may slow down the flow of the output so Im thinking of adding a eheim 2215 to the other side with the reactor and some liliy pipes or one galss co2 diffuser at each end. I really like the Iwagumi style, but it is much more difficult to ballance the whole light ferts and co2 thang. But ill keep trying i think its alot more easier to set up a tank in the nature syle b/c the stem plants use up alot of nutrients fast thus lowering the chances of algae. So i must continue to try things out cuz Im sure not gonna give up on this scape

Old 12-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #147
dougiefresh
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Marimo,
Great looking tank, setup and scape. It seems that raising the lights a little would reduce the intensity, since your having the algae problems give it a shot. I don't think they would look too high as well. I would do glass reactors at each end to start for the co2, since it's easy and would look good.

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2
ada mini m
dougiefresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #148
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

DF thanks for the compliment. the tank is coming along. still some algae issues. photoperiod is 7 hours now and the glosso is growing more compact. I did a 50% water change with RO water which was a PITA becouse I don't have an RO system yet. Im thinking of borrowing a UV sterilizer, but for now Ill let the tank mature on its own. there was some marselia with the glosso and I say it covered 40% of the foreground. i like the marselia b/c it grows really compact and is a darker green than glosso. Plants now include dwarf hairgrass E. tenellus micro glosso, and marselia. Ill add giant hair grass to the back if my LFs gets there shipment on friday Ill post pics tomorrow.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:11 AM   #149
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90

i love giant hairgrass. ever since i saw it on scolley's page i fell in love with it. if you do then definitely post pictures right after!!!
the tank is looking great. did you get the RO water from the lfs?
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:12 AM   #150
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the RO water is making a difference. water was bought at a filtered drinking water store. The guy ran the water through his huge filtration system then through an extra filter till the TDS meter was near "0". My LFS will not get any more plants until next year. So no giant hairgrass for a while

Here are some pics from today.

comments welcome