Finnex Fugeray Going Dim
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
Dimsday

PTrader: (0/0%)

Finnex Fugeray Going Dim

Hello, I bought my 48" finnex fugeray early last fall. Initially I had an issue with the light flickering on and off . They were quick to replace the unit.

This past week the light starting flickering again. It wasn't going on and off though. It would transition between its usual brightness and then go briefly. Today it stayed dim after being turned on.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with LEDs or have any incite on this issue. I have sent a message to customer service.
Dimsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #2
yando
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Mine has gone dim as well. 48" Fugeray. Purchased it almost exactly 1 year ago. I'm currently in communication with customer service. They were quick to respond to my initial email. That's about all I can say at this point.
yando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ohh contact our tech via the www.finnex.net website and our Tech will get back to you ASAP to help troubleshoot your issue.

Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

Well my 30inch fugeray just went dim as well. it went back and forth for a bit, I should of taken care of it then! now always dim. it was after 1 year of use and warranty is only 6months. I wonder if it is just the fugeray? they said it would cost 25$ shipped to send a power supply and i would have to resolder it or send it in for repair which i pay for and shipping and repairs. I asked for a coupon to buy new one but no deal . arg!!

Last edited by chunkychun; 06-23-2014 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: x
chunkychun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
PapHater
Algae Grower

I had the same issue with my 48" fugeray. Happened right around the 6 month mark. I have two 30" fugerays that have been going strong for.over a year.
PapHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
DoctorLondom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

The issue is a 470uF smoothing capacitor on the output of the power supply. Newer models seem to have fixed the issue. Their tech sent me some new ones when I had this issue and the lights worked perfectly right after I replaced them. Cheap electronics manufactured in China are plagued with capacitor issues, it's definitely not exclusive to Finnex.
DoctorLondom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #7
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wish I knew that earlier! Dr did they charge you for the part?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
DoctorLondom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

They did not. I sent them proof of purchase (I emailed Aqua Vibrant and they sent it to me) and they mailed the capacitors out. I had other caps on the board die as well in one case, I believe they were 10uf/450V.
DoctorLondom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Dimsday

The issue was resolved within a week. The on/off switch had shorted out. The tech had me open it up, check the wiring, and send him some pictures. He sent me a new switch which I received in a few days. The fix was easy. No soldering required. Just unclipped and unplugged the old one and put in the new.
Dimsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
chunkychun
Planted Tank Obsessed

unfortunately i'm out side of the warranty so i figure instead of spending 25 dollars on a fix, i'll buy a new LED but sounds like from dimsday, the old fugeray still has this problem so will look elsewhere