The truth about snails. - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #31
cjstl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great post! I don't agree with everything you said, but a lot of the information was really good.

Ramshorns:

I have ramshorns in almost every tank, and I love them. I have seen them go after my shrimp on occasion, but only if the shrimp are having trouble molting and laying on the sand for too long. They don't bother healthy shrimp. They never seem to bother any of my plants with a few exceptions. They pretty much wiped out my camboba (I have read other reports of this too), and they will occasionally eat younger java fern leaves if they can't find enough food.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails:

MTS are another that have found their way into most of my tanks, though not intentionally as the rams. I have grown used to them, and no longer worry about it. They actually do eat algae in limited quantities, although they're not going to make a significant impact as certain other snails will. I have not confirmed whether they eat holes in any of my plants. If they do, I think it's rare.

Bladder Snails:

Not a fan of these guys. I have seen them eat holes in various plants. Assassin snails love bladder snails more than any other type of snail, which is good. I have also found that ramshorns will rapidly outcompete them and keep the population very low.

Nerites:

In addition to the rams, my other personal favorites are horned bumblebee nerites. Great algae cleaners and not too heavy to clean the leaves of plants. I have had very good luck with them. They're hardy and can survive a wide range of water parameters. I also have three olive nerites that have been workhorses for over a year. I had poor luck with the larger zebra and tiger nerites. They kept flipping over on their backs constantly and couldn't right themselves again. If I was out of town or not paying attention, they died before I could flip them over again. I eventually lost all of both varieties. They're beautiful, but I just don't have patience for high-maintenance snails!

Mystery Snails:

I was hesitant to take the plunge, but I eventually bought a purple mystery snail to live with my betta. He has done a great job cleaning up the algae and hasn't bothered my plants. As I only have the one, I have not seen any eggs or babies, so I'm happy about that.
cjstl is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #32
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Thanks for your contributions! Horned nerites are also my favorite, and I won't get mystery snails :p.
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #33
roadmaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have trumpet snails (gobs),and pond snails in my tanks and they along with the shrimps have a job to do.
When they get too numerous,I simply reduce feedings and trap them until numbers are more to my liking.
Have never seen any of the snails attack healthy plants,but they make quick work of leaves I trim from plant's and leave for them and the shrimps.
roadmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #34
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Yeah they seem to play a part in the cycle of the closed system really well. I agree.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #35
vanish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Thanks for your contributions! Horned nerites are also my favorite, and I won't get mystery snails :p.
For this post to be complete, you really should
Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 AM   #36
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
For this post to be complete, you really should
Something grosses me out about those weird egg sacs above water, and I only really do "mini" snails lol.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #37
drip loop
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nothing will eliminate a planted tank faster than an apple snail. Also little known fact, they are toxic to humans and this is new data as far as I can tell. I dont have much more data about it but did hear a report recently and they are incredibly abundant where I live.

I still consider trumpet snails the biggest tank crasher that never gets diagnosed and leaves the hobbiest confused to what happened. The silent killer as I call them. Just an enormous time bomb of ammonia should they have a die off and most of the time its underground where disturbing the area releases it into the water column. The sheer numbers of them if nothing else is adding a bioload that isnt outweighed by their soil turning benefits. Is this something only I think? I think this cause one or two are cute but at night they come up like the walking dead and their numbers are always WAY higher than I thought they were. Remind me of homeless people that roam the streets late at night but remain unseen largely during the day Good thing they arent too bright and a simple rock and kale leaf does the trick everytime.
drip loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #38
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm going to have to trap some mts on my next day off. I have 2 tanks that are going into population overload. I have 2 assassins in each tank but not making a dent in control.
Can assassins breed? I think they are more interested in each other than the other snails.
Can't tell if they are fighting or mating. Lol
amcoffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #39
MABJ
Invert Warrior

They do in fact breed. Their eggs are square.