Baltimore must sees
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Maryland

Old 06-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Baltimore must sees

Hey TPTers,

I am in Baltimore for the weekend on a business trip, I was hoping for some pointers on some good pet stores to go check out. I've a rental car so traveling is not a problem. Tips on good places to eat are welcome too! I am going to go get a crab cake as soon as I leave the airport, hoping to find a place with good crab legs for dinner! Yum!
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Just got back from Faidley's seafood, man that was one tasty crab cake!! I have been going through the Maryland sub forum looking for pet stores to visit, I am going to head to House of Tropicals shortly after rush hour traffic dies out. Any suggestions on good places to eat or stop by are welcome!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

It's not a fish store but the Baltimore Aquarium is quite an interesting place. The new Pacific Reef exhibit is nice. It can be VERY crowded though, especially on weekends.

HoT is a fairly good stop. I'm not sure if the Batfish Aquatics warehouse is having an open house this weekend. If they are you should check out J's stock. I think his name is Jesse but I could be confusing him with another J. He is located just north of DC.

His site is www.batfishaquatics.com

Also near DC is Tropical Lagoon and Congressional Aquarium. Haven't been there in awhile. Some can be good.

I wish Annandale Superpets got their fish room back in order. That was located in Annandale, VA a few years ago but moved locations and haven't opened up a fish location yet. They had the largest and best selection of fish I've see in a LFS.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the advice! I am seriously considering going to the aquarium before I leave on Sunday, if I go for their first entry time at 830, do you think I would get to see a decent amount of the aquarium by 1130? I gotta be back at the airport around 1230
Old 06-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yes. You can see a decent amount but you'll be a bit pressed for time. It all depends how much you want to see.

I know many people are objectionable to the dolphins in captivity but the aquarium offers tickets that exclude the dolphin show and '4D' movie. Going early is probably a good idea to miss much of the crowds.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

I didn't know they had a dolphin show. I did see the 4d movie option for an extra $5. Is it worth the nearly $40 to go? I went to the aquarium in seattle and it was kind of a bust, for the $75 I had to pay for two tickets.

I know reviews are not allowed, this is not a review, it is an account of my experience at the stores today.

So today I ended up going to House of Tropicals and Congressional Aquariums, Tropical Lagoon closes early so I wasn't able to stop by there, but I may be able to swing by tomorrow.

HoT is crazy big inside, they had a ton of fish, a few I wish I could have brought home with me actually. Their planted section was not really that good. A lot of their planted tanks appeared to have BBA and another type of algae I wasn't sure what type it was though. They did have a lot of the gel pack plants though, but they were a bit expensive, $13 for on and 3 for $30. The pretty much had the same gel packed plants petsmart now has just a different package. The brand of gel packs they had seemed to be a lot healthier than those found at petsmart though. Best two deals here were HC on a rock for like $3 I think, and I believe they had full grown assassian snails for $5. Another thing I liked about this place is they had practically every test kit! I have been looking for a GH/KH test kit for a long time, I didn't want to order one online because they are only like $6 and shipping would've been $6 at least. They had some awesome aquariums in this store, some for sale and some display. One of my favorites was a planted 30 or 40 gallon top view aquarium, I forgot to get a picture of it but it was really cool! If I have time I am going to go back tomorrow and get a picture. I did see this betta aquarium I am thinking of getting, but won't be keeping bettas in it, its call the betta waterfall or betta falls, something of that nature, was only $45, think I might go pick one up and mail it to myself lol!

Congressional aquariums was pretty cool as well, it is another decent sized store. They have quite a selection of fish there, and they all seemed super healthy too. One of the best parts of this store is they didn't have huge fish crammed into too tiny aquariums. I have been to far too many stores that have 6-10 inch oscars in 10 gallon aquariums, makes me sad. This is the first store I've ever seen that has had piranha so I thought that was pretty cool. They had a bigger selection of plants, but just the normal stuff you would see at any other store. The staff at this store was really good! I ended up talking with one of the guys that works there for about an hour and a half about all sorts of stuff to do with the aquarium hobby. I introduced him to TPT and hopefully they will join up! They did have a really nice planted display tank with all sorts of rainbow fish in it, I hope mine get that size one day! I ended up spending way more time in this store chatting with the staff than anything, they were all really friendly, I taught them some about plants and they taught me a little about saltwater while I was there. If I lived here this would be my store of choice to go to.

All in all both of these stores were nice and big and had a ton of stuff in stock, I wish we had places like that back home. The only decent stores we have are the big P petstores.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #7
Method
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

If you have a chance, the Barnes and Noble in Baltimore (close to the aquarium) has a pretty big planted tank. I haven't been in a while, but last time I went it was fairly impressive.
The Fraternity of Dirt #41
SunSun Pimp #66

"
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught
." Baba Dioum

Triple-filtered Paludarium
Method is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
If you have a chance, the Barnes and Noble in Baltimore (close to the aquarium) has a pretty big planted tank. I haven't been in a while, but last time I went it was fairly impressive.
Heck yeah! Thanks for the tip! This is the kind of info I am looking for, I love to go around and see the stuff in odd places. One of my favorite in-store aquariums is actually in a bass pro shop lol! And since it is a Barnes and Noble I can go in there, have a cup of coffee and oggle their aquarium.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #9
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

I want to send out a thank you to those who responded and help me fill my weekend with LFS and fish related goodness! I am flying out later today (Sunday) to go home. This is a pretty nice state you got here guys, and I had a good bit of fun checking out all the LFSs! Oh and who has the best crab cake? It's at Faidley's. I went to Thames Street Oyster House tonight for dinner, it was rated #1 crab cake in 2013 and won best lobster roll too I think. The lobster roll was eh, same goes for the crab cake, it was good, but not stuck in Orioles traffic for 30 minutes to go 1 mile good (this happened to me Saturday when I went for dinner).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.