New World Aquarium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
drewz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New World Aquarium

Here are a few in the New York city and Queens >>
If anyone needs more info just ask...

New world Aquarium
38st and 3rd ave
New York, NY
- Good plants, a bit pricey

Fishtown
Northern blvd
Flushing, NY
- sometimes they have healthy fish, plants but nothing to exotic
- good prices

Pacific Aquarium
Delancey st
New York, NY
- small selection of plants, decent fish
Old 12-21-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
LiberalFishLover
Algae Grower

Wink

I highly recommend New World Aquarium. Their store is amazing. Incrdible selection of fish and equipment at above average prices. That said, the fish are in really good shape, won't see too many "dead" tanks like you do in the bigger stores. They care about what they sell.
LiberalFishLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

I checked out New World Aquarium today and its very comparable to The Fish Place in townawanda. Just about the same about of selection of fish and plants more or less, but it is a bit pricey. Still VERY good and better then any chain store. I bought myself some anubias nana "gold" which appears to be a smaller variety of the nana but not nearly as small as petite. Very healthy plants and fish in stock.

10G, 2x13W PC AH retrofit, Hagen CO2 Taken down
29G, 1x55W PC AH retrofit, Flourite, DIY CO2 Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down
2.5G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-in Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

http://www.mings.info
ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #4
dedbuffalo
Algae Grower

Default New World

I've had mixed experience with New World, but overall a nice selection of fish and plants, best selection within Manhattan to my knowledge. Friendly and quick service too when things go bad.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
aquatrippe
Algae Grower

I get it that New World has things you normally can't get anywhere else in the city, but I find the store kind of annoying.

I decided that before I make any big purchases there to really research the product on the internet for user experiences or whatever info. I think people should always do this, but a guy at New World sold me an overpriced Custom Sea life hood the very week the company was going out of business!

He was saying they are great blah blah, all we sell...etc. In retrospect it is obvious he was trying to just move the things maybe than hassle with returning them to a company that had gone out of business.

This same guy recommended a power wheel filter for a planted aquarium with co2.

Needless to say, I wised up and started doing my own research before buying anything rather than just do an impulse purchase because I wanted it now.

So fast forward I am in the store asking about some equipment and I ask the guy what the brand name of it is. Keep in mind I rarely ask for any kind of advice for them so I could hardly be regarded as a pest.

The dude gets kind of defensive and says half jokingly "don't come in here asking for our advice and then go buy on the internet"

Keep in mind all I asked him was what brand this product was and buying it off the internet was not even on my mind. I just wanted to know if it was a good product.

I was shocked and basically muttered something about how I have spent alot of money here and don't appreciate the attitude. This is after having wasted money following this guy's "expert advice"

his reaction was to try and laugh it off but I am not ever going to buy a friggin thing there again.

Because of his bad attitude and bad advice I have started buying things online and have gotten much better more reliable advice on from the customer service places online. And prices in a few instance hundreds of dollars cheaper.

I have yet to regret an online purchase. I regretted at least half of my purchases from New World when I followed their recommendations.

In terms of freshwater, the fish they sell are no great shakes above say Petco. Y ou can get some fish there you won't get elswhere, but in terms of quality, I don't find them superior.

Maybe they are great with saltwater and into serving the saltwater hobbyist but I won't go back because I don't need to be treated like that.
aquatrippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)
Default store in NYC

The LFS that I prefer is Pacific Aquarium, then Fishtown U.S.A.

Pacific Aquarium has a really big selection of fish and plants. Besides, they're the only place I know that carries cherry shrimp. They carry baby tears, riccia, glosso. Fishes are buy 2, get 1 free. HUGE selection on goldfish and kois! (But that's a different site and different forum )

I've been going there for as long as I can remember, 10+ years....

Shipments comes in Sunday for Pacific Aquarium.

Fishtown U.S.A. is nice. Gets in a lot of plants, healthy...but nothing exotic like the type of plants I mentioned on top. I've asked before, and some of the workers don't even know what baby tears are.

A little pricey though.

Shipments comes in Tuesday and Thursday nights.

Hope this helps everyone.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Kyle
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I went out to New World today, and it was pretty nice. The plant selection was lacking today (Sunday), but that is probably because it has been picked over already. I did pick up a plant, but the majority of them had some weird algae/mold problem or were pretty beat up looking.

The fish selection is fantastic though. They were running low on what I wanted, but I spent some time marvelling at their planted show tank which was really nice looking.

How far out of Manhattan is Fishtown USA?
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #8
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
I went out to New World today, and it was pretty nice. The plant selection was lacking today (Sunday), but that is probably because it has been picked over already. I did pick up a plant, but the majority of them had some weird algae/mold problem or were pretty beat up looking.

The fish selection is fantastic though. They were running low on what I wanted, but I spent some time marvelling at their planted show tank which was really nice looking.

How far out of Manhattan is Fishtown USA?

If you are driving (I'll just pick midtown since I don't which part of Manhattan you are at)...I would say about 35-40 with no traffic?

Public transportation, train and bus....forget it...too long....
Train from manhattan to grand central to get the 7 train. 7 train to last stop, main street flushing. And then!!!...the bus from main street, northern blvd. all the way up to Francis Lewis Blvd...more than hour.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
soundtweakers
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I too have mix feeling about New World Aquarium, it's fairly close to where I live so I usually stop by there on my day off. Here is one shop that employs staff memeber who uses scientific name for their fish and plants, and most of them knows what they're talking about. I once purchase some fish there at 3 bucks a piece, and I went back one week later and those same fish in the same tank(with new name written on the tank)cost half as much. Although they insisted that what I bought was what I was looking for, I'm pretty sure they sold me the wrong species at the wrong price. Anyways, their fish are in good shape. I believe in supporting our local fish store, but I wouldn't mind some more decently quality stores to choose from here in Manhattan!!

Billy
NYC
soundtweakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Kyle
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know the guy you're talking bout, sort of a big guy right? He helped me the last time i was there and knew the names of everything (which is more than I can say for myself).

I've spoken to their other employees as well and they all seem generally helpful. Sucks about your fish being overpriced, but I can say that I feel they are more knowledgable than other stores in the area thats for sure.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
soundtweakers
Planted Tank Obsessed

generaly it's an awesome store, I've been bringing all of my fish keeping buddies to new world. I go there to get all of my fish and fish food now, my attempt to support local fish stores. I'll probably pay a visit to Pacific Aquarium down on Delancy, heard some good things about that place.

billy
NYC
Old 10-13-2005, 09:00 PM   #12
Kyle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Off topic sort of, but yesterday I was in jersey city and I went to the store on the corner of jersey ave and newark ave, which had a pretty nice selection. Not as much sw, but tons of cichlids, oscars, discus, angels, arowanas, piranhas, etc.

Some of the discus were "ok", not really like show quality, but they had a very respectable fish selection for being one of those sort of seedy pet stores.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
harsaphes
Algae Grower

just came back from Pacific Aquarium.
Ok, it was my first time there and i have to say my last.
While the display tank in the front of the store was nice...nothing else was!
The plants looked horrible and many, many tanks had dead fish in them.
Overall i would say it was dirty and not well kept.
Just my 2cents.
harsaphes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:52 PM   #14
Kyle
Planted Tank Obsessed

Saves me a trip, thanks
Old 12-02-2005, 08:33 PM   #15
soundtweakers
Planted Tank Obsessed

well, about pacific aquarium, if you are lucky and really knows how to acclimate and condition your fish, they do offer a great deal if the fish you buy survives, I have a few fish from there that survived and grow beautifully, and I spent alot less compare to other shops here in NY.