krystal clear aquatics
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 05-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
KC21386
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)

krystal clear aquatics

700 Southbridge St.
Auburn, MA 01501

They are primarily salt water, however they have about 20 tanks of very nice, healthy, and some rare freshwater fish.

They had almost nothing for plants when I was there two weeks ago, however they said an order was in place.

By far the cleanest tanks I have ever seen in an fish store.

Has anyone else visited this place?
KC21386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Nic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I was just in there this past weekend. They were literally building racks while I was there in their new expansion. I talked to the owner and they are trying for a Dec finish date I think, but in the mean time they have some of the cleanest fish around. I'm actually heading there with my wife tomorrow to pick some fish up for our new community setups.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
mszabo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was in there today, and I'd say not much has changed since the first poster. Mostly SW with some nice looking SW fish and about 15 tanks of assorted freshwater fish, no plants at all when I was there.

I will say there main demo tank when you walk in the door is pretty cool to see:
http://krystalclearaquatics.com/highlights.html

It's a "Zero Edge" tank. Basically its an acrylic tank with a rounded top edge. Instead cutting out bulkheads and a box for a traditional overflow, the water overflows off the front/side walls of the tank. The sump is a 4 inch wide rim surrounding the tank itself. Since the top seam is rounded this results in some very smooth sheeting of water over the front. Smooth enough that it is not visible in the photos. Anyway its a pretty cool effect.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

My friend has one in his apartment. It's been running for over a year now. It's pretty awesome.. Would make a great planted tank sine there's some flow.

He's a member on here.. doesn't check often though.. Leemik

Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Neya
Algae Grower

I wish they had more FW stuff. Although they finally put new tanks on the newly built racks. Maybe the expansion will be done soon!!

Great staff, they have a toy/Disney movie area for kids. I assumed it was for their own family but when my daughter asked to play the gentleman said "that's what it's there for". One of the few fish stores I've been in that invites kids! (my almost 3 year old makes %99 of our livestock additions, which in turn influences %99 of our supplies purchased... Good business move !)

I also like they carry used stuff(tanks, stands, filters etc) misc parts, and quirky items I otherwise
would have to purchase mail order.
Neya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
zavikan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I frequent the place. Most notable for their saltwater exotic selection. I've seen them mentioned over and over on saltwater forums. They get some real oddball highly desirable salt stuff in.

The good and bad for the freshwater:

The owner has spoken of plants/plant orders for quite some time...initially he had around 10 tanks set to be plant tanks. This has been reduced to... 1? 2? I have seen one come in. very sickly plants, 0 variety. very quickly get COVERED in algae, and then it sits and rots. Can not come even close to comparing with Tropical Isle in Framingham. Heck, cant compete with petco (at least petco has NICE javafern). Don't hold your breath for the plants guys. Though dont get me wrong, if they start stocking, I'll start coming more.

The 'used' stuff they sell is priced just silly. You can get it online brand new for less, including shipping. I'm not kidding, I actually checked.

They DO carry seachem ferts/products though. Its the only place around that does to my knowledge. They also have a great selection of frozen foods, and its nice high quality frozen food. They also have a great selection of canister repair/upgrades. Some for prices less then online! They do co2 exchanges, but airgas in auburn will fill while you wait for less.

ALSO! they will purchase healthy fish for store credit! Its a decent pricing, and you know your unwanted/to big/mean fishy has another chance coming. Decent fish selection...Tropical Isle wins on that front as well though...

All in all, great convenience store for supplies in freshwater planted tanks. Not for plants.

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
zavikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
Neya
Algae Grower

They have assassin snails in!! Cheaper then you'd get online too
that's if I don't go back and buy the rest tomorrow... Hehe
Roger kind of smirked at my giddieness over snails.

I agree some of the equipment is overpriced. Some is ok(I found some quirky items I needed less than they cost online with s&h). Lights I definitely wouldn't purchase there pricewise, but in a pinch they have items I couldn't get anywhere else and had to get it that day.

I really do love the staff though. We stop by every few days(usually twice on weekends lol)
Neya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
peter_l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I went there yesterday, along with three others in the Worcester area. I have to say it was a wasted trip. KK has a nice selection of saltwater fish, but very little of any interest for FW.

By all means, avoid the two stores in W. Boylston. They are two of the worst stores I have been in.
peter_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
akarias

PTrader: (0/0%)

For SW, great store. Good prices for livestock, and good selection. Biggest angels I've seen for sale (not that it's an efficient buy, but for pure display aquariums and not hobbyists...), great assortment of fish size too-->lots of small fishes like gobies and blennies and LOTS of big fishes like adult triggers/puggers/angels.
akarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #10
zavikan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Dropped in the other day... WOW I wish I had had some money!! The fresh water section had maybe 2-3 tanks of standard petco fishies....and everything else was specialty ranging from exotic angels and rainbow fish to super high quality high fin bavarian rams and odd plecos. Beautiful stuff.

Still a really sad and pathetic plant 'section' (two algae ridden 3/4 dead tanks of petco plants)

----------The Tank---------------------------The Car--------------------------The Life-----------
Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
zavikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
timwag2001
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

i havent been in a while. gonna check them out again soon. i really like that display tank they have up front.
timwag2001 is offline   Reply With Quote