Discus hole-in head
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 06-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
supi4u
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Discus hole-in head

Today I found one discus is suffering in hole-in head disease. Today I carefully watched that no white poo found. In google from simply discus forum I came to know Calcium deficiency can cause the same also my anubias new leaf are deformed can anubody throw some lights. Guys please suggest me the treatment for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	discus.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	329794  

supi4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

There is no set in stone reasons why hith occurs, just theory's. My one time experience with hith for me was linked to carbon use. It can be cured, but it takes some time. Because you have discus I assume your using carbon. I'd remove it, do more water changes, and see if things change in a month. That's my 2cents...
Old 06-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
supi4u
Algae Grower

@CrypticLifeStyle:
I am not using carbon. I am using seachem purigen and I am sure it's for mineral deficiency because my anubias plant new born leaf are badly affected and sure sign of calcium deficiency. I am charging ca and mg in my tank and discus do well but don't know how long time taken for coverup the hole.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
burr740
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Didnt you say in that other thread you had a 50 gal tank with 11 discus, and some other little fish? If so that's way too many. Im not sure how to cure hole in the head, but more than likely what made them get sick in the first place is poor water quality. That is one of the primary causes.

The first thing you should do imo is is a big water change, like 75%. Then something like 50% twice a week with that kind of bio-load. Do you feed them beef heart, and that sort of thing? You should really find a new home for at least half those fish.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
supi4u
Algae Grower

Ya absolutely right. I have change 30 Percent every alternative day. i not feed them beef heart. I feed them hikari discus bio gold. Tetra bit complete and 2-3 Time live tubifex worm and ants egg in a week.my tap water minaral deficiency is very low today i measure Gh-3, Tds-170 Ppm and ph is 6. I dont have separate ca and mg test kit. May ca deficiency the main cause for anubias new born leaf. I am charging caso4 In my tank and will update u after few weeks what happen
Old 06-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #6
j03yYunG
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supi4u View Post
Today I found one discus is suffering in hole-in head disease. Today I carefully watched that no white poo found. In google from simply discus forum I came to know Calcium deficiency can cause the same also my anubias new leaf are deformed can anubody throw some lights. Guys please suggest me the treatment for the same.
You can use metronidazole to treat for it. I would up the vitamin for the fish like using vita chem in the food. Also increase your water change volume. If the tank is over stocked, you may want to remove some of the fish.
j03yYunG is offline   Reply With Quote