CO2 Testing
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-26-2003, 05:06 AM   #1
qbal18
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to qbal18

ok with no added anything to my tap water after 1 day of it sitting in a bucket with an airline in it wiating to go into my tank it has a ph of 6.6 and a kh of 20mg/l now that is the same as 20ppm (right or am i rong) now my tester only gose in intervolts of 10mg/l so at those cal is th co2 in that wate acually 15 beacus i cant accually see that be bacause i have never put co2 intop that water yet. am i doing something rong or dose that chart test not work on my water.

the chart i used is at this site

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html
qbal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2003, 05:16 AM   #2
Jim Miller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mg/l is the same as ppm for our purposes. You can divide this by 17 to get to degrees. Your KH is around 1 degree. If this is "normal" water it is likely your GH is also around 1 degree. Did you measure the GH as well?

You should try to add a measured amount calcium carbonate to a gallon of water to bring it up to a GH of 4 or so. This will also increase your KH a similar amount. Once you determine how much to add to a gallon multiply by the number of gallons in your tank and slowly add that amount over several days time to bring up your GH and KH in the tank. Remember to add the same proportion (not amount) to your water change water.

jtm
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
qbal18
Algae Grower

ok with knowing that know i see that the co2 levels in my tap water woudl be like 3ppm is that about right for not doinging anything to it or should it be at zero or more if i have an air line in the bucket of tap water for the past day or 2
Old 01-26-2003, 09:24 PM   #4
Jim Miller
Planted Tank Enthusiast

3ppm is about what you can expect of any body of water that has been sitting around exposed to the atmosphere for a while. even air is not 0ppm CO2 so that is about right.

now to get the tank properly conditioned with GH and KH about 4 or so and then start pumping CO2 into it.

good luck
jtm
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:01 PM   #5
qbal18
Algae Grower

ok thanks i have been useing a few diferent methods of DIY CO2 and i think i have finally found some concentratoinds that i like and work for me just have to get the tank ph and kh in place and more importantly the ferts in place to get rid of the hair alge and to get a few of my plants doing a bit better