Eco Complete or Flourite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
Mothi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can find Flourite at a local Petsmart but can't locate any Eco Complete. I definately prefer the Eco Complete because of the darker color being near black. So you guys prefer one over the other? If so, why?

Anyone know where to find Eco Complete in Southern CA without having it shipped? Or any lfs that will special order it?
Mothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2004, 07:56 PM   #2
NFish
Planted Member

Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I haven't use eco-comlete, but I just got flourite and I really like the color. You can order eco-complete online from bigals or other places.
John 3:16 Romans 10:9
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #3
PlantView
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothi
Anyone know where to find Eco Complete in Southern CA without having it shipped? Or any lfs that will special order it?
You can certainly email CaribSea (Eco-Complete's maker) for a retail location.

CaribSea,Inc.:
http://www.carib-sea.com/Carib1.htm

See "Finding CaribSea" from the menu on the left.

PlantView
PlantView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:13 AM   #4
Plants Rock

You can get flourite in black though I dont know where. I perfer flourite because its cheaper you need less (eco complet compacts a little) and it is more widly used. I am considering a 50/50mix of eco-complet and flourite which should work well.
Plants Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:08 AM   #5
Aquaman
Planted Member

Eco-complete hands down the better of two substrates. Much easier than all the flourite washing, just dump it all in , water and all. It even helps cycle your tank. No need to mix it with florite or anything else.
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:42 AM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Hands down! Pretty strong statement. Maybe a bit of an over statement!

I have both Flourite and Eco-Complete. I think the results of use are pretty darn comparable. I can't see any difference in plant growth between the two.

The Flourite was a pain to rinse, of this there is no denying. However, I find it easier to plant in Flourite than in Eco-Complete. My plants seem to stay down better in the Flourite. They float up more out of the Eco-Complete.

Mike
Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 PM   #7
Splash
Planted Member

My LFS has a blackish-gray Flourite next to the red stuff. Has anyone used that yet? I thought I might mix it together with Eco-Complete to get the best of both products. (Or would it the "the worst?" )
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
pixelcrayon
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to pixelcrayon Send a message via MSN to pixelcrayon Send a message via Yahoo to pixelcrayon

i agree flourite was a pain to clean. i suggest cleaning a little at a time to get it as clean as possible. imagine shifting for gold. truth be told, it took a very long time. probably 1hr per bag but its clean. and i really like how it looked in my tank so it was worth it.
LIGHTNING: (2) metal halides 175W 10k
CO2: pressurized
PLANTS: Sag, Crystal Val, Pigmy swords, Micro swords, Red & Scarlet Ludwigia, Queen sword, Stargrass, Ludwigia Palustris, Ludwigia Brevipes, Red Sunset Hygro, Bacopa, Pennywort, Crypt Wendtii Bronze, Glosso
FISH: 8 Tiger Barbs, 7 Otos, 1 Dwarf Bristlenose, 14 Varies Rainbows, 6 Rasbora, 3 Cory cats
INVERTS: 8 Amano & 10 ghost shrimps.
pixelcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

Quote:
My LFS has a blackish-gray Flourite next to the red stuff.
I think you are talking about onyx. It looks grey under water. Eco is my favorite just because of the color.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM   #10
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, there isn't 'black' flourite, but they make Onyx in both sand (a very coarse sand) as well as a larger diameter gravel.

I've never had problems with plants floating up in my eco complete...i do with flourite, but only in areas where the depth is a little on the shallow side.
They're both great at growing plants, so if you like the almost black look of Eco, ask your LFS to order you some. plan on 1 bag for each 10 gallons of standard tank size (more for long tanks, less for tall tanks)...that should get you around 3" deep.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 06:08 PM   #11
Splash
Planted Member

Ahhhh. There is a Flourite Red and a Flourite. When you guys were complaining about the redness of Flourite (relative to onyx sand), I figured you meant the Flourite Red. So, I guess you really meant that even the Flourite is pretty red relative to onyx sand, although obviously less red than Flourite Red. (Is anyone else confused besides me?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Yeah, there isn't 'black' flourite, but they make Onyx in both sand (a very coarse sand) as well as a larger diameter gravel.

I've never had problems with plants floating up in my eco complete...i do with flourite, but only in areas where the depth is a little on the shallow side.
They're both great at growing plants, so if you like the almost black look of Eco, ask your LFS to order you some. plan on 1 bag for each 10 gallons of standard tank size (more for long tanks, less for tall tanks)...that should get you around 3" deep.
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
Anonymous
Planted Member

hey mothi, i live in san diego and i know aquatic warehouse sells 20lb bags of eco-complete for 18 bucks..thats where i get mine
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Splash,

Were you looking at Onyx Gravel?

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...nyxGravel.html

Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #14
Splash
Planted Member

No. I was really looking at Flourite.
http://www.seachem.com/products/prod.../Flourite.html

Which looks pretty "black" when sitting next to a bag of Flourite Red.
http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...ouriteRed.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Splash,

Were you looking at Onyx Gravel?

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...nyxGravel.html

Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 01:01 PM   #15
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, but it's not very black in a tank, believe me.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote