Effect of Changing Bulb Temp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-29-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
g8wayg8r
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I currently have a 5300K, 55W bulb with a CRI of 91 (Philips PL-L 55W/950/4P). When I made the change from a standard 20W fluroescent bulb, the condition of my 29-gallon tank changed considerably. Not only did the plants begin to grow as I expected, the algae also enjoyed the new found light. Since then I have managed to get the water parameters where plant growth is good without algae being a nuisance. I don't want to lose this balance.

My supplier does not sell this bulb anymore. My options are a 5000K or a 6700K bulb, both with a CRI slightly better than 80. I would expect the 5000K bulb to give a bit more of a sunset look while the 6700K may look more like noontime. My concern is how this change could effect the balance in my tank?

Other than a change in appearance, has anybody ever noticed a change in their tank conditions when you change the CRI or bulb temperature?

1.9 watts/gallon
pH = 7.2 to 6.6 (high-pressure, manual CO2)
kH = 2 - 3
Nitrate <= 10 mg/L (AP test)
Ammonium = 0.5 to 1.0 mg/L in my tap water due to chloramine
Fertilizer = AP substrate and fish food, i.e., whatever comes out of the fish
g8wayg8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

More often then not if you change your bulb to a different make or model any changes in your tanks growth is a factor of the Spectrum of the bulb, not the visible colour temperature (K) or its ability to render colour (CRI).

What bulbs does your supplier carry now?
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
g8wayg8r
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just read a note from my supplier that I can get my old bulb, but it's not listed under "bulbs" :shock: Anyway, I'm guessing that all of the bulbs are probably made by Philips. The information I have now to base any decision is the bulb temp and the CRI. I have one LINK showing some measured spectra of various bulbs. Sure would like to find it again and the other link I had that discussed the wavelengths plants favor.

Where do you get spectral dater for aquarium bulbs? Even if you get them, how do you use them?

More Spectra
Ibid
g8wayg8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2004, 10:42 PM   #4
Capt.
Planted Member

http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm

http://w1.864.telia.com/~u86438141/a...g_lighting.htm
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.