Lighting 55 gallon couple questions and opions needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #1
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

My tank is 55 gallons, 48 inches long.
I need a good lighting/hood to have a planted tank.
I am looking for something that has dual strips so I can have Actinc bulbs come on first then the daylight bulbs. I am looking for good wattage to grow even some of the hardest to grow plants...

Also are Actinics the best bulb to use for when wanting to create a dusk to dawn effect?

I found 4 lights that all have dusk to dawn effects (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all 4 do) and all have dual linear strips where I can put them on timers for the light day bulbs to come on later

Which out of these 4 you think are the best overall for a planted tank and also wanting to create a dusk to dawn effect?

48" Coralife Aqualight
Dual Linear Strip
(260W Total)
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...aqualight.html

48" Coralife Aqualight
Dual Linear Strip
(260W Total)
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...aqualight.html

48", 4X65W (2) 65w Dual Daylight and (2) 65w Dual Actinic
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_Orbit.html

Dual Satellite 48 inch 4X65W 2-Lunar Lights
http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...satellite.html

Thanks
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 02:10 AM   #2
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

please anyone like any of those lights
Old 03-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #3
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 03-29-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
Mini4x
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Mini4x Send a message via AIM to Mini4x Send a message via MSN to Mini4x Send a message via Yahoo to Mini4x

No idea on those fixtures but Actinic bulbs are for reef tanks (i think you only need for live corals even), no need on a freshawater planted tank.
Mini4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actinic lighting is what I would use for the dusk to dawn effect, isnt that what you would use?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:38 PM   #6
equilibrium
Algae Grower

Avoid the actinic lighting for a freshwater tank. It won't do much for you and I have read some research that shows it contributes to photoreduction of iron and therefore excess algae.

You want the freshwater versions of the same lights (w/6700K bulbs instead of 10,000K & actinic). See: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...ght_fresh.html

If I'm not mistaken the 4 x 65 W models come with two switches that control two bulbs each. For the dusk to dawn effect you are looking for I would probably add a small CF light that turns on first then two of your bulbs then the other two.. and the reverse at the end of the day.
Eheim Pimp Club Member #10
25 gal. Planted - SeaClear, Eheim 2026 Pro II, Retro Eclipse 2 hood w/1 x 65 watt CF & 2 x 15 watt NO, Hagen CO2, Eco-Complete
equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:30 PM   #7
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That light says it can create a dusk to dawn effect but will all the lights be daylights ?

And when I turn two on that would be about 130 WATTS of light not exactly dusk or dawn is it?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

The Dusk till dawn effect is pretty simple.

130 watts turn on first.. wait a little bit.. then the other 130 watts turn on. Having the actinics for this effect on a freshwater tank has no value beyond asthetics, and may contribute to certain types of algae.

I have used Actinics for this purpose before and I always ended up with a lot of diatoms directly under the bulb.

Why do you want to create a dusk till dawn effect? I'm just curious... Is it for asthetics only or are your trying to accomplish something with your plants or fish or?
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:31 PM   #9
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

My LFS uses the half actinic and half daylight on their show tank, and it grows lots of algae. Every few weeks they replace all the plants because they are so covered. There may be other factors involved, but I don't think the actinics are helping. But they do make the fish look good.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:15 PM   #10
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Why do you want to create a dusk till dawn effect? I'm just curious... Is it for asthetics only or are your trying to accomplish something with your plants or fish or?
I want to create a dusk til dawn to make it more of a natural habitat for the fishes as well as for it to be cool for us to look at...

Will that light he just pointed me to will that really make the tank look somewhat dark at first then go full lit?
Old 03-29-2004, 11:21 PM   #11
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

130 watts of PC lighting is still pretty bright... I am using 165 watts of PC and 80 watts of NO light over my 135 gallon for all its lighting.

Dusk till Dawn systems are usually only used for Saltwater systems with corals that are very light sensitive.. its a way of gradually exposing them to full spectrum light. As far as fish are concerned, the blue actinic light is still very intense so it's not that much more natural then using daylight bulbs.

If I were you, I would look at buying (or making) your own moonlight circuit using dimmable LED's and then just use the fixture listed above for a phased lighting schedule... So the first bank of lights turns on from 9am till 7pm.. and the second set turns on from 11am till 9pm... that way you'll get 12 hours of lighting.. with only 8 hours of intense light. Your LED system could handle the sunrise and sunset and possibly double for a moonlight system.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:32 PM   #12
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
If I were you, I would look at buying (or making) your own moonlight circuit using dimmable LED's and then just use the fixture listed above for a phased lighting schedule... So the first bank of lights turns on from 9am till 7pm.. and the second set turns on from 11am till 9pm... that way you'll get 12 hours of lighting.. with only 8 hours of intense light. Your LED system could handle the sunrise and sunset and possibly double for a moonlight system.
How would I do that? It sounds like a good idea but dont know if I understand you right. YOu are saying get this http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...ght_fresh.html
and then get a dimable timer??

Please let me know if that is right or what you mean?

Also is 130 PC WATTSto bright to turn on all at once? and is 130 PC WATTS bright enought to grow pretty much any plant in a 55 gallon setup?
Old 03-30-2004, 12:41 AM   #13
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

That is NOT at all what I am saying.

Buy that fixture.. and have two timers.. each one set to turn on at a specific time.. One for a 10 window earlier in teh day.. and the other for a 10 hour window that starts 2 hours later. That way you have 12 hours of light.

As far as your dawn/dusk setup.... Make that a seperate component using dimmable Bright LED's or something similar.

130 watts is pretty bright, but any plant? I can't say either way.. not every plant is the same.. plan plan plan...

Just so you know.. you can't dim most ballasts/lights. You will most likely damage the gballast, or have it simply stop working. Dimmers are designed for incandescent bulbs.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:57 AM   #14
equilibrium
Algae Grower

I have seen dimmable flourescents, but they requied an expensive controller and expensive ballasts to operate. Can't remember the manufacturer or the site where I saw them..

Lokobreed -- I'm all for gentle light transition. If I were you I would probably buy the freshwater version of the coralife fixture and another small fixture, something in the 36 to 55 watt range, and a moon light. I would run the moonlight at 'night,' then have the low wattage light come on for a while, then fire up half of the aqualight and then the other half, etc, like:

Moonlight:________<******------------------------------------------******>
36-55 W fixture:________*********-------------------------*********
1/2 of Aqualight:_______________****************
Other 1/2:________________________******************

(*** = on, --- = off, not necessarily to scale)
equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:16 AM   #15
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by equilibrium
Lokobreed -- I'm all for gentle light transition. If I were you I would probably buy the freshwater version of the coralife fixture and another small fixture, something in the 36 to 55 watt range, and a moon light. I would run the moonlight at 'night,' then have the low wattage light come on for a while, then fire up half of the aqualight and then the other half, etc, like:

Moonlight:________<******------------------------------------------******>
36-55 W fixture:________*********-------------------------*********
1/2 of Aqualight:_______________****************
Other 1/2:________________________******************

(*** = on, --- = off, not necessarily to scale)
I actually do have 40 WATT light, but how much would just a moonlite run me and do you know of any where I can get them and also how would all three of thes fit on top of my tank?