Another CO2 reactor question....
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-28-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
gmaniac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi All

Thought I'd post this question, after searching the old posts to see if anyone has a similar setup with similar problems

I recently got a 2nd hand Aquamedic 1000 CO2 reactor (like new) and hooked it up over the weekend to my 75G plant tank. The output of my Ehem 2215 cannister goes into the reactor at the top, exits at the bottom and then out to the tank via a spraybar at the tank bottom. CO2 comes into the reactor at the top after passing a soleniod, check valve, and an aquamedics bubble counter. There is a controller in the system as well...to handle the soleniod (of course)
With the rate of CO2 at about 18-20 bubbles per minute, I noticed that at the end of the day, the 2215 canister filter is sounding like it has air inside (noisy turbulence of the propeller) and I can't figure out where the air is coming from. I dont think it was from the cannister intake because that end has been submerged in the tank
I used the release valve on top of the Aquamedic 1000 to release some air, because the reactor was only half filled with water when I looked at it at the end of the day, with the top half being filled with air! I figured maybe the co2 rate was too high?!
A couple questions to add to this:
Is the 2215 enough output for this reactor (the manual says 250 gal/hour) and I dont think (not sure) my cannister is capable of this, or does it matter?
Has anyone had any similar problems with their reactor and cannister systems, esp those with the Aquamedic 1000 reactor and or eheim 2215
Is it possible the air from the reactor to get up in the intake and back into the cannister while there is still flow going on?

I'm hoping some engineer types or anyone with experience can help a semi-newbie out. Thanks in advance!!
GM
gmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to compulsion

the co2 could be moving its way back down if the lift of the bubbles is strong enough.. maybe it would be worth buying a small powerhead for the job instead of useing the canister, i had this prob with 'clicking' in the can, i take it you have an inline reactor? is this a diy job with bioballs coz i did this and it was my problem all along, just bodged up a gravel cleaner because it was long enought (i did take a bit off tho) and the rubber bungs that sit on the top to connect the hose are perfect to sit over the pump output on the powerhead. they create a massive whirl of bubbles, and all you have to do is add 5 ot 6 bioballs and a nice fitting peice of sponge to the bottom and its set, i have "pearling" (excuse the crap pun) results from this as before the co2 was either traveling back up the outlet pipe, or the bubbles were joining and just hitting the serface as soon as they came from the pipe.

my bit
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.