Peter's 45
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-15-2004, 04:35 AM   #1
brookline45
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to brookline45

Some of you may remember my plastic beginning:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4368

The transformation is just about complete. The specs are as follows:

AGA 45 Gallon
Eco-complete substrate (3 bags)
DIY Hood with an AH 96 kit + 20w NO ripped out of old strip light. Total of 2.5 watts a gallon.
Eheim 2026
Ebo-Jager 200W heater
DIY CO2 + Plantguild reactor.

I have started with moderate light plants due to my tank depth. If I can't get things to really pop I will some more PC lighting. The Plantguild reactor is working nicely (see picture).

Initial plants include:
Hornwort
Hygro Corymbosa
Anacharis
Anubias barteri Nana
Crypt Wendtii
Java Fern
Radican Marble Sword
Ozelot Sword
Narrow Leaf Chain Sword
A few Val Spiralis

Fish:
3 Angels
6 Platys
6 Zebra Danios
2 Threadfin Rainbows (Going into another tank)

I plan to add a cleanup crew this week TBD.
brookline45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2004, 04:36 AM   #2
brookline45
Algae Grower

A few more pics
Old 02-15-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
chinaboy1021
Planted Member

looks really nice. keep up the good work.
chinaboy1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice tank, but please remove all the nonaquatic plants you have...
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
brookline45
Algae Grower

Which are non-aquatic plants? All plants came from aquariumplants.com. All are listed in Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium plants as fully immersible plants.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookline45
Which are non-aquatic plants? All plants came from aquariumplants.com. All are listed in Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium plants as fully immersible plants.
I'm not really too sure what plants Raul is talking about, because I don't see any non-aquatics in your tank or in your plant listing.

Anyways, it's looking good. Isn't it great to go from plastic to live? Once you do, you'll never have another plastic plant again in any tank you own! Keep us updated on how it fills in.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:17 AM   #7
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Potential is good, but you need to do a few things in my opinion.

First get rid of those white rocks. Something that is more sandstone looking will give a better look.

Second, I think that if you moved the driftwood to the side, does not matter which, then you will creat a triangle to your image, much more balanced.

Third you have a marble sword in your tank, I had one in a 90g long and it did not look right. They grow really big. You might want to rethink either its location or find it another home.

Anyway that is just my opinion. You can take it or leave it .

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:34 PM   #8
brookline45
Algae Grower

I appreciate the comments. I was already thinking of replacing the light rocks with darker ones. They seem to be collectors for some brown spot algae which stands out on the whiteish color.

I am having mixed success with the swords so far. The Radicans (just to the right of the driftwood) and chains are thriving. The Ozelot's (far left and right sides) leaves are browning quite a bit. I hoping it is just terrestrial leaves.

I am beginning to see that I should stick to plants that have a narrow footprint due to the fact my tank is tall and only 12" front to back. I am going to give the tank time to settle and grow out before I start some redecorating work.

-Peter
Old 02-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #9
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Check out the Boston Aquarium Society next month to get some sweet plants for cheep for your tank.

Karen Randall spoke on Monday about plants. It was great.

Keep up the good work with your tank. It's coming along.

How badly do you have your heart set on that egeria?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 PM   #10
brookline45
Algae Grower

I was there. I really enjoyed the talk and her laid back approach. I did pick a huge wad of java moss for a few bucks. I figured next month I can pick up some more decorative plants and do some redecorating.

Why do ask about the Egaria? I am using it as a rapid growth stem plant to help get the tank established. It is already started taking off. My tank is deep at 22"+ and I am looking for plants which will fill in the background very quickly.

Everything seems to be going very well. I did see pearling on the on egaria and java fern at the end of the light cycle last night.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Hey you were there!! I've been going to those for over a year and then some. Actually won my 29g tank that I've been posting there a year ago in the raffle. Full set up for 30 bucks.

Which one were ya? Feel free to remain anonymous if you want. There were a lot of people there. I was the kid that bought the Nesea pedicellata that I think Eric from Gills brought in. He couldn't get it to grow or something. It's doing fine for me. Anyway. Small world. That java moss was cheap. How about those apisto pairs!!

The only reason I ask about the Egeria is personal preference. I have some in my 38 low light tank. It'll help with your algae and establishing your tank, but I think there are other prettier fast growing plants out there that will fill in your background.

Anyway, personal opinion.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:44 PM   #12
brookline45
Algae Grower

I don't remember you but I would be glad to say hello next time. I won the big $4 bag of java moss. Towards the end of the auction I was standing in the the back of the room and bid on a group of three regular bristlenose. I let it go when the price approached the LFS price.

If you are doing some trimming I would be glad to take some cuttings or anything else. I am trying to get a feel for what grows best in my tank. I live in Coolidge Corner.

-Peter
Old 02-18-2004, 03:54 PM   #13
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

Ahh there were so many people there.

I was sitting up front, got all of the aga books that Karen brought with her 2002-2004. Pretty cool. Awesome awesome books. I love that magazine that they put out.

Anyway, if I get to go next month I'll say hi.

As for clippings, sure, you can have some. Should've asked me during my sunset hygrophilia/ammania G. growing days though. I'm not sure exactly which one I have. Eric from gills told me it was ammania g. But it never got as red as I've seen it, even with high light and iron. Anyway, I can't decide what it is. I couldn't get rid of that stuff. Now I put a ton of that in my low light tank and it's kind of stunted in 1.09wpgs, but it grows great and has some nice reds at the tips when you establish it. But it will take over.

Anyway, maybe I'll bring some next month.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:35 AM   #14
brookline45
Algae Grower

My tank is not too photogenic at the moment due to some mild cloudy/green water issues. Things have been improving and I am planning on trying a diatom filter this weekend to deliver the final blow. I have been transitioning my tank to more demanding plants and things have been going pretty well over all. This picture is mainly here to show off my pearlweed which was donated by fat guy. The stuff has been growing like crazy with lots of horizontal runners. A serious trimming will be needed soon.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:03 AM   #15
geodiscus
Algae Grower

UV Sterilizer will take care of that also....
**Eheim Pimp Club Member No. 4**55 gallon,Eheim2213,Eheim2215W/Eheim Surface Extractor,Turbo Twist 9 watt UV Sterilizer,200 wt Ebo Jager,100%Eco-complete,JBJ Pressurized CO2,Power Reactor, Coralife 4x65wt CFL(2x6700's 2x9325's).28 gallon Breeding Discus tank.
geodiscus is offline   Reply With Quote