Harlequin Rasboras with red coloration?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)

Harlequin Rasboras with red coloration?

I have a large school (around 50) of what I purchased as Harlequin Rasboras at my 2 LFS. I've always noticed that some of them have a deeper color to them, red in fact. Here's a pic, not the greatest, but they are not exactly ones to "pose" like my angelfish do.

Did they get a different rasbora in with their Harlequins, or do some of them get reddish? I've had this school for about 1 1/2 years now.
Attached Images

jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
valerietheangel
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can't tell much from the pics but some of our harlequins do have a quite a bit of a dark red/maroon color along with the purple/blues. They are gorgeous fish I am jealous you have room for so many!
valerietheangel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #3
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Is the darker one you are talking about in the lower left hand corner of the picture (kind of cut off)?

I have different colored rasboras too. I bought them from different stores. They have retained their original coloration from when I first bought them, so it isn't diet related or anything like that. It almost does make it seem like they are two seperate species.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Stand and Canopy Build Journal for a 90 On hold for a while...
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian

Mine are all sort of rosey red, which is why I bought them. Prior to seeing them I had always thought they were sort of boring to look at. I had read somewhere that they all really ought to be reddish, but the genetics are really diluted resulting in the more pale coloration we usually see. I have no idea how accurate that statement is though.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

harlequin do develop bronze color in optimum condition, but Trigonostigma espei has darker reddish brown than harlequin.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

I have espei's and harlequins, and they look totally different. If you keep both of them, I don't see how you could be confused. I know EXACTLY what jade dragon is talking about as I have different colored harlequins. Some have a beautiful rose color and others aren't as brilliantly colored. I do find that the ones that are darker with the rose coloring also have a darker red eye color as well. Maybe I can get a good picture of each and post it to this thread for confirmation.
Filstar Pimp #106

29 Gallon Journal - XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing
Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Is the darker one you are talking about in the lower left hand corner of the picture (kind of cut off)?

I have different colored rasboras too. I bought them from different stores. They have retained their original coloration from when I first bought them, so it isn't diet related or anything like that. It almost does make it seem like they are two seperate species.
Yes! I'm glad somebody else has seen this, too. There's another one up in the right-hand corner as well, all you can see in the picture is the red eyes and a little red towards the tail.

I wish the red the whole body gets photographed well...I need to go back through all my pictures again to see if I can find a better one.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Okay, here's another picture. The camera has the rasboras out of focus since the Angel is larger, but you can see the color better on the little blobs in the background.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian

That's what mine look like, FWIW.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

OK, I took a couple of pictures and they didn't want to pose or show their colors. I had to cut the lights on to take the pictures, and one thing I noticed is that their colors aren't nearly the same as they are by the end of the photo period. Hopefully you can see the difference though:

I did buy my harlequins from two different stores, and there was an obvious color difference between the two.

Hope it is clear enough to see. If not, I'll take some more pictures at a later date after the lights have been on for a while.

Edit: If nothing else, look at the eye colors between the two. You can see a difference there even with the crappy pics.
Filstar Pimp #106

Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
armagedon48
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

i have had harlequin rasboras get nice and red. i think it has to do with dominance within the school along with water quality, and overall stress from other fish.

example, i kept 5 in a 10 gallon tank, 1 was always a deep red, another had red but not nearly as intense, and the rest were plain. i moved these fish into a 75 gallon tank heavily stocked with other fish, now they are all a light pink, but none show the red. i think it is because they are slightly stressed from the other larger fish in the tank. while in the 10 gal tank, the dominant fish displayed the best colors.
1 crested gecko
12 inch tiger salamander
armagedon48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #12
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

I have heard that males get a deep red coloration over the females.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #13
equus_peduus
Algae Grower

I've got some that are an orange color, and some that go almost purple along their back. I personally prefer the purplish ones, since purple does happen to be my favorite color, but they're both very pretty. I've heard there's redder ones, but I don't believe I own any. I've gotten my fish from various sources over the years - they're the only species I've had continuously since my first tank, and as the numbers thin, I get more.
equus_peduus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #14
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
I have espei's and harlequins, and they look totally different. If you keep both of them, I don't see how you could be confused.
no don't have espei but i know the black mark is different. i'm just saying that probably it got mixed somehow. sorry if i confused anyone here. i have harlequins, they're pretty pale back then now they're all darkish brown. i just noticed that espei in shops are more reddish than harlequins.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #15
BruceWatts
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Like a lot of fish dominate males tend to be more colorful. Also when they are fully mature and in excellent shape they seem to show more bronze and red colors and the black takes on a more bluish caste.

The young fish in the LFS are almost always whitish with the black mark. When they start glowing like that you are doing a good job taking care of them.

Bruce
BruceWatts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.