DFW
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 04-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
collapse
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just wondering how many people in this forum live in the DFW area of Texas. Also what LFS do you go to.
collapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2003, 05:40 PM   #2
mandi0808
Algae Grower

Hi! I'm in Garland. The best LFS in town is Boutique Pets on Garland Road by White Rock Lake. Their tanks are immaculate! They don't have a huge variety, but what they do have is awesome. Even their SW selection is cool. They are the only place around that I have seen selling tank raised lemon sharks. They also do pro setups for homes and business. Another great store is DallasNorth Aquarium on Trinity Mills in Carrollton. They (hence the name) are fish only. They have good deals sometimes on used setups. (still kicking myself over the 90 gal with stand for $55 that I passed up...) They have this 1260 gal tank in the wall in the store that is wicked...
Last resorts are Petco or Petsmart. The Petco by me in Richardson is pretty good. The manager over the fish knows her stuff.

Glad to see there is another local!!!
mandi0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
collapse
Algae Grower

Yea.. that place is great. I go there all the time . I'm in mesquite. I've done some trade in there and sold them some plant clippings too. I love that big Peacock Bass tank they have in the show room. They have a nice sellection there. They carry alot of the hard to finds.I was hoping there was another mom and pop place around other than them and Dallas north aquarium. Thanks for the reply maybe we can trade clippings some time.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Hey there Collapse! I myself live in Southlake, right outside of Dallas/Fort Worth. By far the best place I have found in the are is Planet Pet. They have a huge selection of freshwater and saltwater fish and a tons of beautiful fish. They have like a 800 gallon discus tank there that is just gordeous. It is like 4 200's joined together in a neat little pattern.

You can check them out at Planet Pet.com

Kyle
Old 04-22-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
collapse
Algae Grower

Cool...Thanks, Kyle. I'll have to check them out this week. I've been trying to find some apistos around here maybe they will have them. I also saw a post on here somewhere that you have or had a 10 gal nano reef. If you still have it hows it doing? I'm about to start one up i've been doing alot of research on nano-reef.com.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Was browing the boards and found this thread. A newbie to the planted tank. There isn't much here in Arlington except for Petsmart/Petco. That's all we have here. Looking for more varieties of plants other than Java fern and water sprite. Glad to see some people here from DFW.

Mike
mik3yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:20 PM   #7
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

Collapse: I just tore down my tank the other weekend. It was getting expensive and was becoming a hassle. I am turning it into a planted tank. Easier and less expensive. A great place for nano reefs is http://www.nano-reef.com

Mik3yy, have you tried to purchase plants online yet? It really is easier than you would think!
Kyle
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Kyle: I plan on ordering hard to find varieties in the future. For now I'm just starting out with cheapo and easy to grow plants like Java Fern. I don't want to spend a bunch and have it die on me.

Mike
Old 04-30-2003, 07:02 PM   #9
mik3yy
Algae Grower

Kyle: How much did it cost to build and maintain a nano-reef compared to a planted tank?

Mike
Old 04-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #10
collapse
Algae Grower

If you use Live rock that and the lights will be probably the most expensive part of the setup. Every where here in the DFW area i have priced the rock has been $6.99 and up. You want around 1 to 2 pounds a gallon and that can get a little pricey depending on the size of tank you are going to use. Like a planted tanks light depends on what type of coral you plan on keeping.I have found retro fit 32w lights with the bulb for $65 at dallas north aquarium in addison. Thats what i plan on using. I am going to set up a 10 gallon. As kyle has posted before www.nano-reef.com is a great place to go for all the info.

sean
Old 04-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #11
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

I'd say it cost me over $750 to set up. that is including corals and the like though. Really live rock is the most expensive part of the tank. It is harder to maintain as well. You will most likely have to buy a RO/DI water system. That can add up to.

Kyle
Old 04-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
casadeskunk_m
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to casadeskunk_m

I haven't bought anything from here, but The Fish Gallery on Greenville @ Park http://www.thefishgallery.com/ has a showroom in back that is quite an inspiration.
Otherwise, not much here in Wylie...
Mike
casadeskunk_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:06 AM   #13
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i live over by love field and split my time between dallas north and boutique pet. my problem with both of them is that i often buy plants that turn out to not be true aquatic plants.
i can't complain too much though because as a newbie, i know that my tanks aren't perfect. so, its hard to know if they don't make it 'cause of my tank or 'cause the plants aren't really aquatic.
both places have friendly staff and great show tanks.
glad to know there are dallas/ft worth people here...
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:36 AM   #14
jonah
Algae Grower

There's a store in Haltom City called Keller Farms that has a big assortment of fish. I've only been there once during one of the TCA's, but if I ever have time again and am in the area I will go there again. Wayne Leibel has recommended the place. I know they sell plants too, but I can't remember much about them. They did have Apistogramma cacautoides when I was there.

The address is 3405 Denton Hwy. 2 miles south of I-820N. Closed Wendesdays. Look for a converted house. Phone number is (817)834-4891
jonah 2:10

Oklahoma City Aquarium Association
www.okcaa.org
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 03:39 AM   #15
jonah
Algae Grower

Here's a link for you DFW types. I'd join if I lived there.

www.aquatic-plants.org

It's the DFW Aquatic Plant Club. I met a bunch of them last year at the TCA, very nice people.
jonah 2:10

Oklahoma City Aquarium Association
www.okcaa.org
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote