OMG! I have ram fry! What to feed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
apachepony8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

OMG! I have ram fry! What to feed?

I'm so excited!

The rams have been spawning and laying eggs for a few weeks now, but this is the first time any have hatched! So now I have 20-30 german blue ram fry and i'm not sure what to do.

The fish stores are closed until tomorrow, but even then i'm not sure what to buy to feed them. I've seen brine shrimp at one store, but can't remember if they were baby brine shrimp or not. I've read that bbs are too large for the fry to eat though until they are a few days old.

One of the websites talked about feeding microworms, but i've never seen those in any of the stores around here.

The only other fry food that comes to mind that i've seen is the liquid fry food at places like petsmart or petco. I have a feeling that's not good or appropriate though since i've never read about it or seen it at the fish stores.

Any ideas?
apachepony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Typically you'd hatch your own bbs. They take a couple days to grow from eggs in salt water. So you should probably pick up some brine shrimp eggs asap as well as the appropriate salt. I'm sure theres tons of info on the net (I've only grown "sea monkies" as pets, not fish food)

Microworms also are typically something people have cultures of, and grow their own, unlike blood worms, tubifex, and adult brine shrimp that you'd purchase live in a pet store.

The fry don't eat until they're actively swimming, so if they're hatched but just wiggling around, you have some time, as they probably have a yolk sack. I've read about people feeding tiny fry decapsulated brine shrimp eggs -- unhatched. So you might try that as you're waiting for your bbs to hatch.

But this is all hearsay. The only fry I've ever raised successfully are livebearer fry.

BTW - Congratulations
FrostyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
MOsborne05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Do you have them in a tank by themselves? The only thing you can do tonight is grind up a little bit of food in your fingers. Flakes and bloodworms grind up to powder pretty easily. Just make sure you don't feed too much. Stop at the lfs tomorrow and get some brine shrimp eggs to start hatching your own, or some fry food.

Congrats, good luck, and make sure you take some pics!

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
MOsborne05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:11 AM   #4
apachepony8
Algae Grower

They're actually free swimming. Daddy has been rounding them up, popping them in his mouth and spitting them back into the nest.

I'll try to take some pics, but there's a wonderful algae blob right in front of where they are...I don't know if the camera will focus properly.

I'll go check out the LFS tomorrow.
apachepony8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
GreenThumbing
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Congrats on the Ram fry, I bought one of those brine shrimp hatcheries from Pet Smart, its a little black box with a clear plastic piece on top. You fill the bottom part with tap water and the egg and salt mix, then the top piece with fresh water, the eggs hatch several times a day, for about 3 to 5 days before the mix needs to be replaced. To feed your fry you can just pour the bbs from the clear piece into the tank. The bbs are already cleaned of the saltwater. I think I paid $10.00 for the kit, then I bought some eggs, and aquarium salt for another $5.00. Its was cheaper to just buy the salt and eggs, then to buy more of their refill packets, although the packets make it very simple, pour, fill, wait. No need to mix saltwater, etc.

Good Luck, and keep us posted! I love my Rams, they are the life of my tank
5 Gallon Live Food Factory
3 Gallon Nano Reef
1 Wife who thinks I need Professional Help!
GreenThumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Till you can get something else, do what Just suggested- grind up some flakes. If you have a syringe or eyedropper, mix the flakes with some water and then use the eyedropper(whatever) to squirt some right in front of the fry.

If you go to www.Aquabid.com you can find all kinds of live cultures for pretty cheap.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #7
eden_angelfish
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to eden_angelfish

I breed angelfish, and for their first few weeks all I feed is live baby brine shrimp. I don't feed anything until they have been freeswimming for 24 hours, then I feed 3-4 light meals a day. As they get bigger, I gradually introduce crushed flake and freeze-dried foods as well. The black box style shrimp hatchery works pretty well, you can also j use a jar or other small container with an airstone in it. Congratulations on the babies, I hope they do well for you! If not, you'll probably get more every 2 or three weeks =)
eden_angelfish is offline   Reply With Quote