Eheim 2215 and 2217 facts and DIY performance mods.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)

Eheim 2215 and 2217 facts and DIY performance mods.

Dispelling a myth.

Compelled by the many contradictions on flow rates and overall lack of information available, I purchased a new Eheim 2215 and a 2217 for testing purposes.My primary intention was to test for flow rates on new filters,with and without filter media,and to see if these filters would actually produce their advertised flow rates.I also conducted tests with and without the included spray bars.Upon close examination of the filters I noticed that the impeller assemblies were identical on both of the filters except for the 2217 having a 6 blade impeller,and the 2215 having 3 blades.I then decided to test the 2215 using the 2217 impeller to overdrive it and to consequently boost the flow rate.I likewise ran a test on the 2217 using the 2215 impeller to under drive it to reduce the flow rate.As I expected,I was able to boost the flow rate significantly on the 2215 using the 2217's impeller assembly,and predictably got a corresponding reduction of the flow rate on the 2217 using the 2215's impeller.

The tests were conducted with the filters sitting on the floor with a 50 inch water height to simulate actual conditions,and tests were also conducted with the filters elevated on a 30 inch platform after I failed to match the advertised flow rates.Results were obtained by using a stop watch to measure the seconds to pump 5 gallons,and then dividing the seconds by 3600 and multiplying this figure by 5.The numbers were rounded out to the nearest 1/2 gallon. Surprisingly,elevating the filters did not improve the performance as I expected,and there was no measurable gain.However,my biggest surprise was that the output on both of the filters was the SAME,with the included Eheim filter media,and with empty canisters.

Advertised flow rates are 164 gph for the 2215,and 264 gph 2217.

Results

{2215} ---------------w/2217 impeller

141.5 gph open tube ---171.5 open tube

136 gph w/spray bar -----152.5 w/spray bar

------------------------------------------------------------------

{2217} --------------------w/2215 impeller

229 gph open tube--------- 195.5 gph open tube

202 gph w/spray bar ---------171 gph w/spray bar

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.

Last edited by lescarpentier; 04-17-2008 at 05:12 PM..
lescarpentier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
John7429
Sergeant of Marines

PTrader: (95/100%)

Great info. Thanks for the effort!
John7429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian

Great work!

This bit is probably the most important of all:
Quote:
However,my biggest surprise was that the output on both of the filters was the SAME,with the included Eheim filter media,and with empty canisters.
It illustrates the 'high torque' aspect that I had attempted to point out some time earlier. These filters will maintain their flow as they become clogged, whereas some others have flow rate drop significantly just by adding media.

The impeller information is also quite valuable, now we know someone with a smaller 2215 will be able to boost flow rate by simply swapping the impeller.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
dekstr
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Great test!

It is great knowing you can boost the flow rate by changing the impeller! I really appreciate this info!
dekstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

It is interesting about the impeller swap. However, these canisters were designed and proven to function exceptionally as designed.

I personally do not buy that "more flow makes for better filtration".
Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
Great work!

This bit is probably the most important of all:

It illustrates the 'high torque' aspect that I had attempted to point out some time earlier. These filters will maintain their flow as they become clogged, whereas some others have flow rate drop significantly just by adding media.

The impeller information is also quite valuable, now we know someone with a smaller 2215 will be able to boost flow rate by simply swapping the impeller.
Thanks a lot! All of you guys.
I plan on conducting more tests on these filters in the future,and I want to test the 2217 that is on my tank now after another month of use,and a 2213 currently in use.The 2215 and the 2217 use the same spray bar and from testing I see that they are too restricting,even on the smaller 2215.One of my next tests will be to modify the spray bars by drilling holes to eliminate the restriction so the flow will be the same as without it.

I really suspect that the 2 motors are identical except for the impellers.I am not an engineer,but I think that the larger intake on the 2217 with it's added pressure is responsible for the additional flow rate on the 2217.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 AM   #7
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
It is interesting about the impeller swap. However, these canisters were designed and proven to function exceptionally as designed.

I personally do not buy that "more flow makes for better filtration".
I agree with you completely,however with more and more people adding accessories,reactors,uvs etc,the flow rate is reduced below what the engineers at Eheim originally intended.By overdriving the 2215 you can approximate original flow rate after accessories are installed.Another point to consider is that by overdriving the 2215 you barely exceed the advertised flow rate.

Like I said,my original intention was to clear up some unanswered questions regarding flow rates,however I took a step or two further.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

Good point! That didnt occur to me.

If you drill out the spray bar, you will lose considerable pressure and with that you will lose flow. Yes, I have done this and had to purchase new bars.

It wouldnt be the first time Eheim used the same motor assembly on different model filters in the same line. ie the Pro II 2026 and 2028. They are identical and rated at different flow rates. What gets me is one would think that the 2026 with less media, hence less resistance would be rated with more flow, however it isnt.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Good point! That didnt occur to me.

If you drill out the spray bar, you will lose considerable pressure and with that you will lose flow. Yes, I have done this and had to purchase new bars.
I have to disagree with you,in part,on this one.You will lose a little pressure,but flow will be increased,but perhaps you may lose a little water movement.With the 2217 you lose 27 gph when you use the spray bar.Even after drilling holes you will have more pressure versus an open hose,however my goal is to get the same flow (gph) when using the spray bar.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
digthemlows
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Thanks! Invaluable information! I'd love to see other tests on other filters! There's a great one out there on the Big Ones the FX5 Vs. the big eheim......very intersting stuff!

30 gallon community/cherry shrimp breeding tank

Eheim Pimp #285
digthemlows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Read this with GREAT interest. Thanks for taking the time and expense. I can't wait to see what else your experiments discover!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lescarpentier View Post
I have to disagree with you,in part,on this one.You will lose a little pressure,but flow will be increased,but perhaps you may lose a little water movement.With the 2217 you lose 27 gph when you use the spray bar.Even after drilling holes you will have more pressure versus an open hose,however my goal is to get the same flow (gph) when using the spray bar.
Very well said. However, to claim you "lose a little pressure" is not really a valid statement. The increase in flow is due to the lose of pressure because the efficiency of the pump is increasing and providing a better operating point along the pump system curve. So, you may be losing more pressure than may be realized.

However, a "closed loop pump" that is in a canister filter does have some interesting dynamics (perfect example was you raising the canisters and not seeing much change in the performance). This is due to the fact that the free water surface is the same for both the intake and outflow, thus the static head component of the headlosses is pretty much negated (However there is a point where the back pressure of the water against the pump is greater than the ability to pump the water).

Great experiment. Does the 2213 have the same body type and pump as well?
Old 04-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post

Yes, it they all look identical, but vary in size as they increase in model number.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #14
lescarpentier
Algae is over rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Thanks for the very clear and interesting explanation about the filter dynamics.You must have some education,or at least some experience in this field.

The 2213 has the same body type,but I doubt that the pump is the same.The impeller well cover is smaller,and looks different.My 2213 is currently in use,but I will be disassembling it soon for testing because I am interested myself.I will post the flow results and comments as soon as the testing is complete.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
Old 04-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #15
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

The pumphead is smaller, quite a bit smaller. I want to say that the impeller magnet is also smaller. But I never specifically checked.