Fishboy's 29 Gallon Driftwood Scape (New pix 5/18!!!) - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #106
oscarsx
Discus freak

PTrader: (14/94%)

awesome tank man.. and awesome angelfish.

oscarsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 PM   #107
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

daverock- yeah. I got some as an additional plant in an order I believe. You can see 1 or two huge stems earlier in this thread (page 5 I think?) I also dose a modified version of the pfertz method plus some extra flourish iron for red coloration. I also have like 2.48 wpg of T5 and still get stunting on my glandulosa for some reason.

oscar- thanks alot! They are complete pigs and bite my hand vigorously whenever its in the tank with food

So like I said before, do you guys know of any possibly reasons why i was getting such weird growth in my glandulosa?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 PM   #108
TwoStrokeKing
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

NICE! i just got a diffuser just like that and my plants are pearlin like crazy! do you run an airstone or anything?

You Hit The Power Band On A Two Stroke And Tell Me How You Feel.
TwoStrokeKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #109
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! I actually don't have an airstone. I have about 2bps running right now and my fish have hardly ever showed signs of gasping or stress. I'm also really happy to report my staurogyne has established its roots system and has sent out some new leaves. I can't wait until it will fill in the space in front of and to the left of the wood.

Anybody have any opinions on what my foreground should be now that the elatine melted? I could always try it again but I would like to hear your opinions first.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #110
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My staurogyne just started to send out some sideshoots and is looking pretty healthy right now along with my blyxa and aromatica (both iron vacuums). My rotala also died behin the driftwood. My guess is that it used to float for so long that it stopped sending out roots because it got whatever it needed from the water column. . .or it died

However, I'm now thinking about letting the stauro grow out to the borderline between the sand and the other substrates- therefore having that be my foreground. Now my question being- What stem should I plant behind the driftwood and what should I do about getting some red back into the tank (trying glandulosa again maybe?)

Comments and opinions welcome
Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 AM   #111
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

blyxa then. . .

and now. . .
Old 05-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #112
btimmer92
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (67/99%)

looks nice, put a wall of jungle vals in the back. Also, put in some nice stem plants.

btimmer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #113
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm actually in the process of acquiring some alternanthera 'roseafolia' from daverock1337 considering how well it has worked for him in his 29 gallon It will be replacing the stunted glandulosa and (providing it is healthy and grows well) will be sculpted into a bush behind the driftwood. . .

I'm also looking for some rotala rotundifolia 'green' to replace the indica that never fully bounced back after I restarted the tank maintenance. Along with that, it seems as though the aromatica responds best to infrequent trimmings as growth has increased eponentially after ceasing cutting.

Bill- I'd be afraid to add jungle vals into a tank of this size considering its leaves can be in excess of 2 feet and would lead to trailing over the water and blockage of light to other stems. As you can see if you scroll back a few pages, I used to have vallisneria that would grow really well for me and would send out at least 3 runners a week. . .

As most of you had already mentioned, the tank should really look nice once all the plants are acquired and filled in. Its really just a matter of what should go behind the driftwood between both mounds of anubias. I'd prefer a bright green plant to contrast from what would be the bright red of the alternanthera (rotala rotundifolia 'green') but if you guys have any other ideas, *please* feel free
Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 AM   #114
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So with all of the vast knowledge and the wide array of opinions out there, nobody has any idea for what should go behind the driftwood
Old 05-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #115
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

hygrophila corymbrosa 'angustifolia'. back left corner of my tank, long, flowing leaves, bright green. easy to grow. gets huge though. i had it before going high tech and it took up almost 1/3rd of my tank. it doesn;t grow so out of control in my high tech setup though. strange.

i've been thinking about your stunted glandulosa. i think you may not have enough light. according to this post on lighting and distance. the chart below the graph says at 20 inches from the substrate (which is where my light sites i think with its legs) that two t5no bulbs give low light (i'm assuming since t8 and t5no are lumped together in the graph that they would be the same in the chart) my 2 bulb pc light isn;t giving me what i want light wise also. i think i am going to switch to a two bulb t5ho fixture (found a zoomed one at big als for like 60 bucks, bulbs are 7.99 each) and then sell my coralife 2 bulb pc light. i thought i was ok because i have close to 4 watts per gallon (probably over 4 watts per gallon as i think there is only 25 gallon of water in my tank). its an interesting read, check it out.

edit: i may also try using the reflectors from ahsupply.com first. i wish i had a par meter. i'm hoping that if i do decide to change fixtures i can still use the ah supply reflectors on the new light.
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #116
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually have two fixtures (each with 2 bulbs) Each bulb is 18 watts, therefore each fixture being 36 watts. So my total output is 72 watts of T5 (about 2.48 watts per gallon and considering its T5 and the wpg rule is outdated, it is more output than you think.

If you're curious as to what they are, here's a link

They are really sleek and lie right on my cover and up to 4 of the fixtures combined can fit on a 29. Eventually, however, I would love to upgrade to this which to some may be overkill but for the prices, I personally think its a great deal.

Interesting about that hygro though. I actually have known about that and immediately dismissed all hygros in my knowledge due to the width of their leaves but that might be petty cool to have. I'll do some research and see if it'll work. I plan to get a FTS up some time later today. . . . . .
Old 05-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #117
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think 4 bulbs of t5ho would be way overkill lol unless suspended way above the tank. i like those coralifes you have, and i think with 4 bulbs they should give you medium light. i may check out catalina aquariums and see what i can get a 2 bulb t5ho fixture for
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #118
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I were to ever get that fixture, all four bulbs would only be on for a mid-day burst. But yeah, right now I consider my set-up somewhere between medium and high light.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #119
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

wheres the new fts? i want to know hows it coming along lol.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #120
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast