Fishboy's 29 Gallon Driftwood Scape (New pix 5/18!!!) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #16
Bk828
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)

Great looking tank

Bk828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #17
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

Thanks! I got the co2 system yesterday and got it all filled up. Right now, I have it on 15bpm. Is this good enough to start off with (too much? too little?) I also recieved the blyxa yesterday and got it planted. Here is the tank after a trim and a weekly duckweed, salvinia decontamination :-)

FTS Before

FTS After

co2 Reactor

Side View With Reactor, Bubble Counter, Indicator, and Needle Valve

Limnophila Aquatica and Rummynose Tetras

My School of Rummies

Comments and critiques are always welcome!!!
fishboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #18
Bk828
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)

Great. Got to love them rummies.. the tightest school ive seen from tetras

Bk828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #19
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank has been chugging along and with the addition of co2, the limnophila aquatica and the rotala indica have exploded in growth and there is some nice growth in the blyxa. I'm also planning on starting a fertlizer plan now that I have co2 up and running. I figure that iron would be important for the blyxa, L. aquatica and possibaly the indica but I'm pretty clueless as far as the rest goes so if you guys have any suggestions, feel free to chime in.

On another note, I think my rummies might be showing breeding behavior. If your curious about any of that (because I don't want to re-introduce the same topic), click on this-------http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/69179-rummies-possibly-mating.html

Also, who has had good experience with micro sword as you can see from the first FTS to the most recent one, my growth hasn't been great and I figured the co2 would have kicked in in terms of growth about now.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
chase127
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (112/99%)

i like your tank! it looks really full. what type of substrate are you using?
chase127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 12:24 AM   #21
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! From bottom to top I'm doing Schultz topsoil, aquariumplants.com own substrate ---http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/ss-1.htm---, and Lowes playsand.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:38 PM   #22
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here comes another wave of questions for my tank.

Well, I got *another* gw outbreak for my tank. I'm planning on a 2-3 day blackout after an inconsistent low photo period of around 5 hours for the past week. I also still need to get a timer for my solenoid on my co2. I'm also thinking about putting a timer on my lights because manually, they have been inconsistent as stated above. I hope by doing this that it will balance my tank out. Once the excess nutrients from the gw is taken up and *fingers crossed* the tank balances out, I plan on adding the seachem line of ferts minus the excel and trace with their dosing plan. I'd plan on using the seachem dosing plan here-----http://www.seachem.com/products/planted.html------- (you have to click on the dosing chart on the bottom left of the page). Here are the actual questions- What should be my photo period (I have 72 watts with 2 6700K bulbs and 2 daylights), what should be my co2 bpm, and is the seachem dosing plan good enough for my tank?

Thanks for reading and please respond.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #23
crudnugget
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

The progress in your tank is nice. I think most people here say that an 8 to 10 hour photo period works best. I'd say timers for lights are one of the more important secondary pieces of equipment you can have for an aquarium (after the tank, filter, and lights themselves!).
crudnugget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

crudnugget- Thank you!

I have finally determined my photoperiod (even though its the first things most of you do, but it's a big deal for me ). I've decided that I'll turn both lights on at 12:00pm and one off at 8:00pm followed by the 2nd at 10:00pm. The co2 will go on with the lights and off with the 1st set at 8:00pm. Right now it's at 1bp2s. The rotala finally started pearling and its been over a day since the latest trim which by the pearling would have usually stopped. But its going and hopefully isn't stopping any time soon;P The schedule will be manual for now at least until I order the timer strip.

Oh the gw completely disappeared in the last 3 days from full on pea soup to not even cloudy (I presume the lighting had something to do with it) so I hope that will be the last outbreak and then I can start tinkering with the tank again ;P
Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 AM   #25
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I forgot to mention that when I had to do the blackout to get rid of the gw outbreak that all of my blyxa died. I posted a WTB on the S&S and received about 12 4" healthy plants from TexGal that are all planted currently. I also got a response for my request on UG from gsmitchell so I will hopefully have it either tomorrow or the day after. I will post pics after my next water change which should be in about 1/2 a week and by that time I should also have the UG.

I will also be purchasing 3 more otos from the lfs tomorrow after finding one dead and losing another (presumably dead but never had any sign of disease). Thanks for reading and criticism welcome!
Old 09-14-2008, 01:18 AM   #26
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Updates:

Blyxa- Green and flourishing. Has to bush out a little more and fill in but nice so far!
UG- Got it. SAE and rummies picked at it to the nub. Took SAE out and UG is slowly recovering. Planted hair grass about a week ago after thinking the UG wasn't going to make it so now I have micro sword cut to the root, hair grass already shooting runners, and UG showing signs of growth. I'm more in preference of the UG but I'll just leave it all for now and hope that the hair grass won't block out the UG.

Added 5 otos today and will get a pair of GBRs in around half of a month or slightly longer. So right now I'm "experimenting" with the foreground which is between UG and hair grass (let me know your preference) and I'm waiting for growth so I can get the GBRs. Picture updates hopefully next weekend.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #27
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Question

The UG was pretty much destroyed and is now growing but looks like riccia!? Weird. . . Anyway, finally a pictorial update. . .

the school^

you can see the gsa growing on the glass and how great the blyxa is starting to look (it's always been a plant I've wanted to grow so I'm excited)^

flame moss (slowly but surely)^

UG/riccia on lower left; hairgrass carpet filling in; more blyxa in the shade but is still barely growing^

the better patch of blyxa is growing like a weed and I already have 5+ side-shoots in a little over a month of having it ^

I'm planning on sometime getting a zebra nerite snail on the sns for the gsa. I've also ordered the german blue rams today and should have them by Wednesday or Thursday! Will post pics when I get the rams. Happy viewing!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #28
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

Nice tank. Where did you get your reactor? Its awesome!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:23 PM   #29
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!

It's the RedSea500 reactor with the vortex chamber tilted 90degrees from the pump.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:08 PM   #30
fishboy87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was just looking at the tank and I just noticed that I haven't even updated since I got the rams. . .wow! The hairgrass carpet has almost completely filled in already. Rams have been breeding like clockwork. 4 times already I think. Added some amano shrimp. Took out the rummies cause they were eating the ram fry. Algae of almost all sorts are gone since the addition of the nerites and shrimp. Vallisneria is half dead thanks to an excel overdose but it has happened before and grows back fine so I'm not worried. Flame moss is taking hold on the driftwood and blyxa is about twice as big as last posted. So everything is gradually improving. Pictures hopefully tonight. . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.